The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 6, 2010, 01:00 PM   #1
KevinBeyerJr

Where did he go?

I had to put my own personal story about one mishap while in the Navy.

About 4 years ago, give or take, I was stationed on the USS John C. Stennis and we had just transfered to Bremerton, Washington from San Diego, California. Even though we were at our home port, they insisted that we kept a sniper watch on top of all of the roving security watches amongst the ship. I was a Quartermaster at the time and was working late one night on the island of that beautiful aircraft carrier (the island is that huge tower in the middle and to the right on the flight deck. After working until 12 AM or so on the logs for the Captains approval, I decided to step out and get a breath of fresh air and enjoy the view. I was walking around to where the Sniper watch was typically posted and didn't see him, after switching on my flash light to make sure he didn't fall asleep in some corner, I only see his M25 leaning against the bulkhead. I grab it and do 2 more rounds of that deck and can't find the SOB anywhere. I then call the Officer of the Deck to find out where he was. Low and behold, he was asleep in his rack about 8 floors down. I feel sorry for the guy, but there were still contractors on board and if any of them would of seen that gun sitting there, they would of probably put it in one of their big tool boxes and left with it after their shift. That is a $2000 gun at least.
Old February 6, 2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Chipperman

Yikes. Is he still swabbing decks 4 years later?
Old February 6, 2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Doyle

Quote:
Yikes. Is he still swabbing decks 4 years later?
On my ship, he would have been busted down to E-1 and been chipping rusted paint in the bilge for months.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:03 PM   #4
pendennis

I'd be surprised if this behavior didn't warrant a special court martial. This is clearly dereliction of duty. I wouldn't think this would be a "mere" Captain's Mast (NJP).
Old February 6, 2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
I'd be surprised if this behavior didn't warrant a special court martial. This is clearly dereliction of duty. I wouldn't think this would be a "mere" Captain's Mast (NJP).
Depending on the command, you would be correct. On a ship, the CO has a lot more leeway on how to handle infractions. If the kid already had problems, I'm sure it would go straight to court martial. However, if the kid was an otherwise good sailer and maybe had been working long hours doing his real job the skipper may have cut him slack and handled it through Mast.

Tags
m25 , navy , stennis