The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2010, 01:37 AM   #1
mechawreck

Slug Basics

Need some fresh air on the subject.

For some crazy reason I suddenly want to start shooting slugs out my 18.5 inch mossberg 500. Question is: what exactly is the ideal barrel length for foster slugs?

Slugs don't spin ( I think), so technically wouldn't a longer barrel length simply just give the slug more ground for deforming before exiting the barrel? There's a nice video by hickok45 on youtube demonstrating some 80 yard shooting with an 18.5 inch barrel (with ghost ring sights of course).

How 'bout it? I don't feel like buying another barrel (much less buying a rifle) Am I good to go for some 50-70 yard hurtful recoil shooting?
Old February 4, 2010, 01:42 AM   #2
jmortimer

Your gun would work great with "Foster" slugs but you might want to try Federal Tru-Ball for better accuracy or better yet the hard cast Brenneke Slugs are most effective and are accurate as well. You will be surprised at how well your gun shoots slugs, I have an 18" cylinder bore wide open and any of the slugs mentioned will work real good. You should have no problem out to 50 yards and might even get 6" +/- groups at 100 yards.

Tags
slug accuracy