The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 1, 2000, 01:11 PM   #1
mattfra

A man at our church showed me tis pistol he purchased years ago. It is about the size of a Makarov (slightly larger), is chambered for .32ACP and can be carried cocked and locked. The finish is about 90% and is in very good shape overall. He says it fires great with no malfunctions.
Here is what is on the left side of the slide: P.MOD 37, KAL 7.65 and an eagle crest
This is on the left side of the frame:
JHV

Any ideas? Value?
Thanks!!
Old October 2, 2000, 08:51 AM   #2
Strayhorn

All I can tell you from that description is that "jhv" is the ordinance code for:

Metallwaren, Waffen- u. Maschinenfabrik AG, Budapest, Hungary

The "43" should be the year of production and the "60534" the serial number.

As for the "P.Mod 37" that makes it sound like one of the many copies of the Beretta Model 37 in production throughout Europe in that era, although your physical description doesn't match that particular handgun.

I suggest you look through the "Hungary" section of Ezell's "Small Arms of the World" or perhaps a good book on the small arms of the Nazi states - Hogg's "Infantry Weapons of WWII" comes to mind.

Best of luck,

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
Old October 2, 2000, 10:52 AM   #3
Paul B.

Mattfra. Using what data Strayhorn gave, I found a picture of a Frommer Model 37 that has the exact same markings as what you describe, with the exception of the serial number. From the picture, it looks like kind of a neat little pistol. It also said that that particular model was made got the German Luftwaffe.
Most versions of the pistol were made for the Hungarian army in 9MM Short (.380 ACP) but during WW-2, several thousand were made in 7.65 MM (.32 ACP) for the German air force. Looks like that pistol may be a scarce version.
I got this from THE COMPLETE ILLUSTRATED ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE WORLD'S FIREARMS by Ian V. Hogg.
Paul B.

[This message has been edited by Paul B. (edited October 02, 2000).]
Old October 2, 2000, 03:34 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

All correct, except that the Hungarian model 37 is not a copy of any Beretta. It was an independent development. It is a very rugged and reliable pistol.

Jim