The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 15, 2010, 07:47 PM   #1
rdjordan

Remington vs Savage vs Howa

I want a varmint/tactical style rifle in 22-250.

I have been researching mainly remington sps varmint and VLS. However, after keeping up with this forum, I am getting worried about Remingtons.

So my question is - Should I be looking at Howa, Savage, Remington, or maybe another make. I do not want to spend more than 800 or 900 on the rifle but less is better (like the 600 or 700 range).

I appreciate your input.
Old January 15, 2010, 07:54 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

I have all three... i would put them in order from best to worst... for me... howa,, rem,,,savage
Old January 15, 2010, 07:58 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

Remington.... dont know about the durability/problems side.... but I dont believe that they are NOT accurate.... since Im shooting 4-5 inch groups at 400yds with mine.
Old January 15, 2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I can understand wanting a varmint rifle, but what's your definition of tactical? Are you wanting to equip it for home defense?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 15, 2010, 08:04 PM   #5
rdjordan

this gun would not be bought with home defense in mind but there is always that chance haha.

This gun would be on a bipod, shooting targets and varmints and anything else. I have never shot long range but would like a platform that would allow me to do that.

As for scope, I would like a minimum of 16x scope. Either a leupold or nikon most likely.

I would like the total rifle package to be under 1400. But like I said before, less is better.
Old January 15, 2010, 08:22 PM   #6
NDN-MAN

RDJORDAN

Get the one that fits you best.
Personally Savage stock are to small for me. So I bought a Vanguard. It fit me better.
Old January 15, 2010, 08:23 PM   #7
landcruzr

I have the Savage model 12 in 22-250.I cant speak for the other rifles in this caliber.... My Savage may not be as pretty as some rifles, but I sure do like the way it shoots
The only thing I did to my Savage was take it out of the box, worked up a handload, mount the scope, and squeeze the trigger
22-250 1.jpg

savage3.jpg

savage2.jpg
Old January 15, 2010, 08:50 PM   #8
Uncle Jack

I have never shot/owned a Howa. I have several left hand Remingtons and Savages. The Remingtons are prettier, but I believe the Savages are more accurate out of the box.

The thing I like best about the Savages is that they are very easy for the average guy to work on and or customize. The ability to quickly change barrels and headspace without a lathe and a shop full of tools is a whole new ballgame.

"If you put the first two where they belong, everything else is rhetoric, theory and litigation."
Old January 15, 2010, 08:56 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

OK. For your intentions described, any of the three would suit you just fine. There are some observations I've come across on two of the three:

There have been rumors regarding the Remington 700 line being not up to par compared to the older models. I personally haven't seen this issue and my guess it's what I stated...rumors. There's no secret to the extractor being smallish/weak. However, I haven't ever seen this as being an issue. Never had one fail to do its job. The 700 line has been around for some time and any competent gunsmith can perform work on them.

My personal favorite are the Savages. VERY accurate out of the box. Low price. Their newer Accutrigger is outstanding. The action/bolt is based of the Mauser 98 like many other rifles relying on the known strength of design. The synthetic stocks are nothing to write home about in the looks department. Form follows function there. I own a Model 12 heavy barrel chambered in .22-250. You can buy one of these and equip it with a quality mid-grade scope and still be under budget of $900. One big seller for me is the barrels can easily be changed. You can even do it yourself after some proper instruction.

IIRC, Howa is also Weatherby. Can't recall, but I thought Howas are made in Japan (could be way off base here). I don't have enough experience to give an honest assessment.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 15, 2010, 08:58 PM   #10
DiscoRacing

Quote:
Howa is also Weatherby. Can't recall, but I thought Howas are made in Japan
Thats correct... I, myself, use one every year for whitetails.
Old January 15, 2010, 09:03 PM   #11
hoytinak

I use a Howa 1500 and Savage 110 for my varmint needs. Both are older rifles but still shoot great, nice and smooth action. I would like to upgrade the trigger on both (the Howa's before they were adjustable and the Savage is a non accu-trigger) one of these years. I'd recommend either one.

Howa 1500

Savage 110
Old January 15, 2010, 09:10 PM   #12
DiscoRacing

howa 1500 30-06, boyds, konus

Old January 16, 2010, 03:45 AM   #13
tachunter

Quote:
I have all three... i would put them in order from best to worst... for me... howa,, rem,,,savage

Howa over Remington and Savage???? First time I've ever heard that opinion.
Old January 16, 2010, 05:58 AM   #14
cimarronvalley

rdjordan

I agree with tachunter. Howa/Weatherby Vanguard would be at the bottom of list. I've got 2 Howa 1500 targets and 2 Vanguards and they suck off the bench. Maybe the 4 I got are anomalies, but I'll never take another chance on them. My Weatherby MKV is a tack driver, but that is 3 times the price of a Vanguarg/Howa 1500.

I've got an old Rem 788 in .243, and the model 700 ADL with the iron sights in .22-250 and .243. Excellent shooters with extreme accuracy. I don't know about the new model Rems. A couple of Win Model 70's in 30-06 and .300 Win Mag that are great shooters but I'm dubious about their new imports (same as some of the Marlin line and cheaper Rems, Mossbergs, Winchesters, etc). Since Rem quit making the old 700 ADL, I've become a Savage fan (made in America by Amricans!!!). I've got about 5 of them now between 12FV targets and standards including Stevens 200. The Stevens 200 is the best value on the market IMOP.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:54 AM   #15
Rob96

In November I was considering the three you listed except in 308.

First rifle I looked at was the Howa Ranchland Compact. For having a regular contour 20" barrel. it weighed as much as the varmint versions from Savage and Remington. The Hogue stock was not to my liking.

Second rifle was the Savage 26" heavy barrel. Did no like the stock at all. So for me, that would have required an immediate change.

Third rifle and the one I bought, Remington 700ADL Varmint. This rifle also has a 26" heavy barrel. There are those, mainly on the sniper forums that trash the stock, but for me it felt good and the beavertail forend gives you nice support when you are in a standing position or shooting off of a rest. At Sniper Central they did a review of this rifle and stated the stock was workable but doesn't require an immediate change. First time at the range with this rifle I was shooting .69moa with the crappy "Remington" scope the rifle came with and cheap 150gr Remington Core Lokt ammunition. Needless to say I am very satisfied with this rifle. Now I just need to get some dies and come up with the best load possible for this rifle. Although with my abilities, I think .69moa is going to be hard to beat.
Old January 16, 2010, 11:37 AM   #16
CK_32

S like a prettyhonest answer to me and I would say go with Remington but then again lately I have heard of those "rumors" around the net and forums bu havnt ever seen one in person or had that happen with me yet so I can't say it's really true because again you can't always believe what you hear all the time. But I was asking that same question just a few weeks ago and I think Remington has great quality rifles at the price they come for and you can't expect $3000 quality from a $655 gun. And honestly i think alot of people just jump on the band wagon of what another says andturns down a gun because it can't shoot one bullet on top of the other when they wouldn't ever take it out that far them selves anyways or can't even shoot that far anyways. Idk I say go to your gun store and bring some head phones and see how they feel and how you like them. I say bring head phones because I figure your gun shop is like mine and will push that old dusty gun they got over there on you more than the one you came in for to make sales. Which I have seen happen alot lately personally. But go with what you feel is right for you because like they have said before some people just say what a seasoned shooter does and think everyone needs a rifle that can shoot inches at 800+ yeards when the stock factory guns will do you just fine and maybe the guy who told you his into has one arm longer than the other so you never really know unless you kinda just go feel how they sit and pull ect for you. And yea you might get a lemon sooner or later hey it's a product it happens nothing you can do about it it's part of life so don't blame one company for somthing that occurs to all of them once and a while.

K well that's my 2 cents so gl and happy shooting
Old January 16, 2010, 03:34 PM   #17
tINY

People have their brand loyalties and tend to complain when a new rifle doesn't shoot 1 inch groups with the first two boxes of ammo they try...

You can get a stinker from any of the three. And, you have to do a little tweaking if you want a superb shooter most of the time.

Rem has more aftermarket stuff, Howa is the smoothest, Savage has the best trigger...

-tINY