The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 8, 2010, 11:50 PM   #1
sheriffal

browning model 1955

first post. hope I ain't talking to myself. just got a model 1955. beautiful little pocket pistol. I got the slide off with barrel still in battery. Can't get it back on 'cause of firing pen with spring. can someon tell me how to get it back together and then how to correctly disassemble it. thanks
Old January 9, 2010, 01:23 AM   #2
Baba Louie

I doubt I can answer your question fully, but will write down the takedown instructions I've got... maybe you can fiddle with it and make things turn out OK (here's hopin' anyway)

1. To field strip the Browning .380 remove and unload the magazine. Replace the magazine and draw the slide fully to the rear checking to make certain the chamber is empty. Pull the trigger and engage the safety. Use a tool to force the slide ring rearward and rotate 1/4 turn, holding the slide ring tightly, easing it out of the slide. Remove the recoil spring while turning it counter clockwise as viewed from the muzzle.

2. Remove the magazine. Release the safety and pull the slide back until the safety can be raised into the forward slide notch. Turn the barrel to the right (as viewed from the rear) as far as it will go. Release the safety and move the slide forward off the frame. Withdraw the firing pin and signal pin with springs from the rear of the slide. Turn the barrel fully to the left and remove through the front of the slide.

Consider it field stripped. Obviously, reverse to assemble.

The above taken from my NRA Firearms Assembly book. Hope it helps.

Oh yeah, sheriffal, welcome to TFL (I think )
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old January 9, 2010, 01:19 PM   #3
sheriffal

Browning model 1955(1910)

ah, tis a beautiful little pocket pistol, and what a genious Mr. Browning was. It certainly looks better fully assembled. Thank you my friend for the reply to my plea for aid. But the devil is in the details..."obviously, the reverse for reassembly". I have reassembled it! a few busted and sore fingers, a couple brokened fingernails (thumbs) and a small gash on my wrist. Not at all sure how it got there or whether it ocurred by accident or was intentional. It now dawns on me that those articles about Mr. Browning's motivation for transitioning from the Model 1910 to the Model 1922 (Which I have in .32) left out, what I think is the most important reason. The articles speak about going after the military sales, and that the pistol was a favorite among officers throughout Europe. but the big reason, methinks, is that most soldiers couldn't get the "beautiful little pocket pistol" back together. I consider my feat today ( and the practice I had last night) to be one of my greatest accomplishments of 2010...and the new little dings on the 1968 model 1955 are barely visible. Thanks again. stay warm and have a great weekend...mine is now free to do a number of things that I had not planned to do as I assumed I would spend the entire weekend with my little Browning.
Al
Old January 9, 2010, 06:42 PM   #4
amd6547

I have a 1955 380 in my belt right now...My favorite 380. I don't find it that difficult to re-assemble...