The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 31, 1999, 09:33 PM   #1
Big Bunny.
Retired Screen Name

I have recently cleaned up and restored to range firing condition one of these strong martini/peabody Enfield 1885 455/577 Henry conversions and needed a few spares, which were little expence or problem via Cookie`s at Inverell, ditto an authentic 1889, 9" triangular spike bayonet and sheath at Jansa`s in Sydney. *** My problem now is lack of rifling due to age, as it can`t shoot lead(linotype) properly and most 303 projectiles are .310" not 312" and are also tumbling, yes, even Hornady XTP.32 X100gn. The Speer "hot cor" 150gn is 3105" and seems promising with a good 1" three-shot group being printed at 50metres with RWS large berdan primers in OZ Mil cases and 38gn ADI 2208. ***Given that a new barrel is impossible, is there any way that I can enhance or maximise the existing anti-clockwise 1:10 rifling? Even a sabot may be possible, but supply a big problem here. ***Any help would be much appreciated !

------------------

XXX the Bunny.
Old June 1, 1999, 03:12 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Is a liner a possibility? I am thinking of maybe turning down a .303 Lee-Enfield barrel and using it as a liner in the M-H barrel. It would not be cheap, but would preserve the outward appearance and markings on the M-H.

Jim

Old June 1, 1999, 04:18 PM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

BIG BUNNY:
Message from BARC
Harley
You might want to suggest that if Big Bunny is specifically looking for
reloading info that Sierra (Sierrabullets.com) sells a .311 bullet and
that Hornady (hornady.com) sells three .312 bullets or ask if casting
his/her own bullets would be practical.

Barc
Old June 1, 1999, 05:23 PM   #4
Big Bunny.
Retired Screen Name

Thank you Harley, you do appreciate my problem and the historic nature of the M-E, the same action(not cal) as seen in the film "ZULU!" with Mike Cain. also SA(Boer War). Thanks again.***The 1889 bayonet is 22"... NOT 9"(my metric conversion awry!) the 1909 pattern only 17" for the N01(and also WW1 and even WW2 SMLE) Lee-Enfield or "long-tom". The No5 Jungle Carbine(1942) has only a 6"blade.....Hmm...interesting!***Barc, also thanks... but the calibre on the packet is often NOT the miked bullet size. The Sierra is actually in OZ .310 but says .311, so you can see that my barrel wear is critical - as is the very variable gauging of barrels in this calibre in the manufacture..

------------------

XXX the Bunny.
Old June 1, 1999, 10:19 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Reline your barrel. I just sent one barrel to Robert Hoyt of Der Freishutz Shop. 7000 Fairfield Station Road, Fairfield, PA 17320. Robert is well known to the Civil War buffs. Maybe our own George Stringer will do relining or a gunsmith in your area.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old June 2, 1999, 05:18 PM   #6
Big Bunny.
Retired Screen Name

Wow, I got more replies than I expected!*** I will make local enquiries along those lines.*** Gary, thank you for your entry and advice and adresses, I have copied the whole page for my file. A local gunsmith will be asked for a quote as the chances of getting any part of a firearm back from the USA in one piece is remote at present due to federal and state government firearms paranoia.***Hell - even a camo shooting stool was queried ( from Basspro) by customs because it was listed as a 'shooting blind' on the air manifest.!!.

------------------

XXX the Bunny.
Old June 3, 1999, 04:49 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe they wouldn't do it, but could it be shipped as a steering gear shaft?

Jim
Old June 3, 1999, 09:56 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

I don't lie on my declarations and machined metal parts is very truthful. Drop an electric cord down the barrel and have the cord wired to an electrical outlet on one end an a light bulb socket on the other; your lamp may now be imported.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt