The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 27, 2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Huck1969

1022 Feeding Problem

I hope one of you 1022 experts can help me.
I have two 1022 target rifles and one of them just started having a problem feeding rounds from the magazine. Every time I put a loaded mag into the rifle with a closed bolt, and cycle the bolt, the round picks up from the mag and gets stuck half-way into the barrel. I have tried three different mags and three types of ammo. I have cleaned the action extensively and the barrel with solvent. The other rifle will eat the same ammo out of the same mags with no problem. Any ideas?

Jim
Old December 27, 2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Harry Bonar

10-22

Sir;
Sounds like you have a tight chamber. Also, you could have a rough, sharp, entry-way. I'd take a brass rod, slit it and put some 240 grit around it and polish out you chamber just slightly. Then just ever so slightly use a slim countersink with some 240 around it and JUST BREAK THE CHAMBER EDGE. Not too much for this is what backs up the rim when the firing pin strikes.
Harry B.
Old December 28, 2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Huck1969

Thank you Harry B. I will try it.
Yesterday I completely disassembled the action, cleaned everything and reassembled. Getting that bolt handle and spring re-installed under the bolt was no easy task! It feeds better but the first round out of the mag seems to always require me to nudge the bolt forward with light push. All rounds after that work OK.

Huck
Old December 28, 2009, 02:29 PM   #4
RickE

Hi, are you keeping the working parts clean? I have shot 1000's of rounds thru mine, and can't recall an FTF. Various after market clips also. A better polishing of the feed ramp and chamber might also help. Lightly oil after cleaning.
Old December 28, 2009, 05:50 PM   #5
rosco.217

Not sure about your feeding problem, but when you reinstall the bolt hanle and spring you can use a flat blade screwdriver to compress the spring and bolt handle when the barrel is removed. You can then just drop the bolt on top of it.