The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 28, 2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Wrothgar

Taking apart a Winchester model 94

Hey all, I inherited a Winchester Model 94 AR XTR. My dad only shot it a few times, and myself even less, but I'd still like to take the action apart and clean it out/inspect it. I tried googling it and didn't really come up with anything; any suggestions?
Old December 28, 2009, 05:02 PM   #2
Abel

Youtube!
Old December 28, 2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Wrothgar

Quote:
Youtube!
Did it; nothing helpful. Everyone was doing it for Marlins and Henrys, and maybe a few Pumas. Nothing for Winchesters. This is an old one that ejects out the top, not the side, the way they were meant to be ;-).
Old December 28, 2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Abel

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm
Old December 28, 2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Malamute

I've had Winchesters for about 35 years. I took a few apart at first, it was interesting, but there really isnt any need to take them apart to clean them. You can get them entirely clean from the open bolt, and perhaps loosening the link on the bottom to toothbrush out the lower end every couple decades or so. I carry and use mine regularly (daily to several times/week), so it's not a matter of how much use they get.

Leverguns forum probably has a disassembly pictorial for Winchester 94's.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old January 14, 2010, 07:37 PM   #6
motofabio

I was just looking up the same for my Win94. As Malamute stated, it's not necessary to take it apart. The manual says only to run patches (or a brush if it needs it) through the barrel and to clean the chamber/bore with it open, not disassembled.

Winchester 94 Manual
Quote:
• After extended periods of heavy use, your gun should be taken to one of our Authorized Repair Centers or a qualified gunsmith to have the action disassembled for professional cleaning and lubrication.
NEVER ATTEMPT TO TAKE YOUR MODEL 94 APART FURTHER THAN EXPLAINED IN THIS MANUAL.
It's in red, bold italics. I'm going with that one.
Old January 14, 2010, 08:29 PM   #7
bedlamite

The wood comes off pretty easy, and I do that to mine every couple years just to make sure it's oiled and not rusting, just be careful and use the right screwdriver. Other than that all you need is a toothbrush and CLP for the action, and a patch down the bore.
Old January 14, 2010, 10:47 PM   #8
olyinaz

No need. Take the wood off (careful not to bugger the screws - use hollow ground screw drivers of the correct blade size), check for rust and hit the action with a gun cleaning toothbrush and Hoppes #9 or any other good solvent. Flush it all out with Gunblaster. Oil it up with CLP. Put the wood back on. Done.

Cheers,
Oly
Old January 15, 2010, 02:16 PM   #9
James K
Staff

The 94 is not hard to dis- and re-assemble provided you follow instructions and do NOT repeat NOT decide to unscrew all the screws in sight. For routine cleaning, you don't have to remove the lever and bolt. I don't suggest removing the butt stock unless the gun gets dropped in the ocean or something needs to be replaced.

There is a sort of myth that because the M1911 pistol is easy to disassemble, all Browning designs were meant to be taken apart. Folks learn differerent the hard way!

Jim
Old January 15, 2010, 03:42 PM   #10
Buzzcook

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm

Brownells has books and manuals for taking apart just about anything.
http://www.brownells.com/default.aspx