The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 17, 2009, 12:49 PM   #1
hemiguy

M14

Hey guys!
Back again with another amazing question!

First I would like to say that I am an amature when gun building or anything comes to play of that nature.
I have field stripped and fully cleaned my glock before lol
I am a pc repair guy by trade
I do low voltage electical
tvs
hometheater
etc...
I like to tinker with cars and such
I can take things apart figure out how they work put em back together.. Build my own stuff when I need it.. I'm not a dumb guy.

My dad gave me an original wood stock from an m14 my grandpa gave to him many years ago. He passed this to me when I was like 10. I'm. Comng up on my 22nd bday in January I've never done anything with this stock but cherish it and keep it safe. I wanna use it to build my first rifle. Is there any place to secure the proper m14 parts? How do you get along with registering a bult at home rifle?
I know this is the Internet and no one knows you, but m not a physco so if it's possilbe qnd you can't register it I'm ok with that. But let's not male it public you can pm me the info.
Thank you very much guys. M sure my dad will be pleased when I'm done.. I've had the stock for like 12 yrs or something so however long it takes to build is ok.
Louis
Old December 17, 2009, 12:56 PM   #2
SR420

Consider buying a complete barreled action from LRB.

Tell them what stock you have and that you want to end up
with a rifle that is as close to a USGI M14 as they can deliver.
Old December 17, 2009, 12:57 PM   #3
azredhawk44

M14 is a HARD rifle to build as a first project.

You need a receiver, first. This is the legal "gun." You'll go through a NICS check just like any other firearm for it.

LRB are widely regarded as the best M14 receivers on the market. Since you have a GI stock you want to use, you don't want a rear-lugged one (more engagement surface of the receiver against the stock, but you have to have a stock designed for it... rear-lugs are not the GI standard). You'll pay about $800 or more just for an LRB M14 receiver.

You'll need a barrel, bolt assembly, operating rod, trigger assembly, op rod guide, gas piston assembly, gas piston, handguard, rear sight, front sight, stock hardware, flash suppressor, castle nut and I think that's about it.

Probably looking at a $2000 investment in parts.

Installing an M14 barrel to receiver is not a job you want to "bubba." I'd suggest you let one of three people do it:

1. Phil Arrington at Arrington Accuracy
2. Ron Smith at Smith Enterprises
3. Walt Kuleck at Fulton Armory

Have them install the barrel, time it, and headspace the bolt assembly properly.

The rest, you "should" be able to accomplish by careful perusal of a quality M14 assembly and owner's guide.

Walt Kuleck wrote a good one that I have in my library. The M14 Complete Assembly Guide. It vividly describes and illustrates how to build an M14 from the ground-up.
Old December 17, 2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Psychlopath

Because of the vague subject line, I'm not sure if I'm hijacking this thread or not, but I'll throw it out there.

I've passed the "I'm interested in," phase and moved onto the "I'm going to buy," part of the M1A.

I took a look at that page.

Amazing is the only way to describe what they have there.

However, I'm not quite sure I know about all of their offerings. Will someone explain the rear lug thought? From what I understand it would simply be a more even transfer of stress from the receiver to the stock? To what end is this?

My thought is that this is better (it's more expensive, must be better, right?) but likely just a bell or whistle that I dont think I'd need. I dont plan on needing to put all 20 rounds into the same hole at 1Km.

Honestly, the novelty of having a functioning piece of history (or as close as I can get) is what suits me. It does have a cool factor, I'm not gonna lie. Plus, it would have enough in common with my Garand to keep it company.

I had gotten in my mind that $1700 was a sound number to spend but that site...blew that out of the water.
Old December 18, 2009, 10:18 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Will someone explain the rear lug thought? From what I understand it would simply be a more even transfer of stress from the receiver to the stock? To what end is this?
The rear lug, or double lugged rifles are for match competition. The action is bedded to the stock and the second lug helps the action retain it's position in the stock round after round. Unless you plan a very serious high power rifle competition it is not needed.

Sounds to me you would be happy with the SA "standard" or the "loaded" model. You may want to look around for a older SA with usgi parts, these are very desirable and well continue to go up in price as these parts are no longer being made. Watch the for sale section at m14fireingline.com.
This is a early 80's SA with all TRW usgi parts. This started life as a "standard" model. I have upgraded the rear sight with the ball/detent NM sight mod and the hooded aperture. A NM front sight. I well ream the flash suppressor some day along with unitizing the gas cylinder. With those two mods I should get to about 1-1.5 moa, it shoots 2-3 moa now with a usgi H&R barrel.
Old December 18, 2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Psychlopath

Thanks for the link. I'm checking it now, but with my wonderful 16Bs connection...it may take a minute or two.

I have started checking out the "Loaded," models as I'm educating myself more and more on these things.

Thanks for the input about that lug too!!
Old December 18, 2009, 01:50 PM   #7
SR420

A rear lug would prevent you from enjoying all of the benefits in accuracy the SAGE EBR stock provides.

Visit: The History and Development of the SAGE Enhanced Battle Rifle (EBR) chassis stock system