The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 21, 2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Hook686

Ruling on Oregon teacher handgun carry

I wonder how this might affect the cases in court concerning the 2nd Amendment individual right.

http://news.aol.com/article/oregon-c...english/778139

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old November 21, 2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Individual rights are not the same as employer/employee rights. The ruling basically falls in line with the aspect that the employer has the viable legal position of controlling various aspects of an employee's life while the employee is on the clock or within the workplace.
Old November 21, 2009, 07:42 PM   #3
tet4

And I think herein lies the problem with the government running the schooling system. Here the line between what government can't do (encroach on rights, etc) and what employers can do is blurred. Is the district part of the government or a private employer?

If the district can dictate what the teachers can and cannot say based on 'separation of church and state', then shouldn't the district be bound by the same laws governing municipalities and other government entities within the state? It was my impression that the dispute isn't wheather private employers have the right to ban firearms from workplaces but that only the state can create laws regulating the possession and carry of firearms - no lower government bodies can.

Anyway, it's a very interesting case - it seems like a version of having your cake and eating it too. :-) Somewhere one side is going to have to give.
Old November 21, 2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Bud Helms
Staff

Moving to Law & Civil Rights.