Excellent 28 25.93%
Good 46 42.59%
Fair 19 17.59%
Poor 15 13.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 4, 2009, 11:03 AM   #76
compdoc

I purchased more ammo of different grains and brands, but I havent had a chance to try it because I disassembled the rifle to clean and to see how it works, and I removed the barrel.

The barrel takedown nut was a lot easier to remove than to get tightened properly. None of the tools I have will get a good grip in the tight space there.

I ordered a tool online and hopefully I'll get the gun back together again and test the other ammo soon...

I'm also ordering parts from Remington for it, like more takedown nuts, firing pins, and other parts that might fail someday way in the future. I'm also getting the synthetic stock and forearm, so I can keep the wooden parts home when I'm just knocking around with it...
Old September 3, 2009, 02:12 PM   #77
Woodmaster

Just got a brand new one

I just bought a brand new 750 30-06. I have to say that after reading reviews and horror stories here and there I was very cautious and read the entire manual before trying to shoot the gun.

First of all, the manual clearly says that the chamber MUST be cleaned with a brush and some solvant prior to shooting the first round. So those people who got shell stock in the chamber should have read the manual first. I used Remington Locked Core (cheapest available rounds) 165 gr and not a single shell got stock in the chamber.

Second. When I got my firearm, I had problems crancking the operating handle completely. The friction between the breech bolt and the hamer was so harsh that it made crancking the handle quite hard.

It made me worried if the barrel pressure would be able to make the autoloading work properly.

So at some point I had a chance to try my new rifle and adjust the new scope in the same time.

At first, as I feared auto loading did not work at all. I had to cranck it manually every single time to eject the empty shell and get the new one in.

It took about 10 shots before auto loading started to work. Then auto loading started to fail less and less, until I was able to empty a full magazine 4-1 entirely without a problem. I'm not saying it's 100% reliable at this time, but it went from 100% failure to 100% success in less then 40 rounds.

so I shot less then 40 rounds so far and I'm convinced I need to shoot at least 200 rounds before taking this babe in the woods. Something I have noticed though, when it doesn't cycle properly, the precision is very bad, it can shoot as bad as 18 inches off at 100 yards. But when it cycles properly, I can get a group of 3 in a range of 1.5 inches at 100 yards. I must go back to the shooting range to finish adjusting my scope in order to zero that group.

As other people already said, it needs to break in. The firearm is sold for $650 with synthetic stock. One could not expect that a firearm made in US and sold for 650 has been tested for hours in factory. If anything, they have probably shot a round or two, inspect the mechanic and that's it.

I purchased this firearm by faith, and instead of panicking when it got jamed, I kept my faith and I just kept shooting and got better.... and better.

I'll follow up after having shot my 200+ round.

Last edited by Woodmaster; September 3, 2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old September 9, 2009, 08:00 PM   #78
ADKhilander

My 750 woodsmaster saga

First, thanks for everyone contributing on the related 750 woodmaster threads - I learned a lot, I know this is my first posting (FirstFreedom- I am not a troll) but I will try to provide technical background behind my thoughts as well.

OK a few words to set this up – I hunt primarily in the Adirondack mountains of northern NY, Adirondack being a permutation of an Indian phrase meaning “bark eater” – a name aptly given to the tribal residents at the time as the area is too harsh for abundant game. The ADKs as they are called are home to the largest forest preserve in the lower 48, offering very remote , dense, northwoods. Big rewards, but in small quantities. A day afield during deer season here can range anywhere from –15 to 85F degrees, leaves to snowshoes, always windy, rain, snow, sleet, and the absolute worst – freezing fog – to render any telescopic optics useless in a matter of seconds. Most shots are limited to well under 100 yards, in my experience the median being <50. Many people use simple 30-30 or 35rem levers, and it gets the job done, I was seeking a semi-auto setup however.

My ideal features of an ADK autoloader include:
- iron sights as a backup, with quick detach mounts for scope (see freezing fog above)
- carbine length bbl.
- lefty-friendly ejection – although I usually shoot LH, I do still need, and practice, shooting RH too. I believe ADK guns need to be ambidexterous.
- all steel receiver – just a me thing , yea I know AL is strong.
- 308 – no uproars pls, I like the ’06, 270 & 35W too, but I have/reload 308s and for <=100 yds I don’t see any empirical difference.
- somewhat reasonable weight….8# or less
- ability to accept greater than 5 round mags
- ability to lock and load ‘silently’ without the SLAMCLANK of an AR-style rifle
- budget – ofcourse
- accuracy – ofcourse, although at 100 yds northwoods distance, 2MOA is useable.

The choices: Browning BAR, Beretta R1, Winchester SXR, and Rem, 750. Well, and the various “black rifles” of which I do have a few – all outstanding, but not northwoods mountain walkers. Let me just say that I LIKE ALL of these, own Browning, rem. and Benelli guns and I am not a singular zealot for any of them.

The Winchester was really too new for me, maybe I didn’t give it the chance it deserved, but nothing really stuck out at me as a differentiator. The BAR – Now, If Browning made the (beautiful) safari in 308, I would probably starve and flip for the $1300 for one and iron sights. The shorttrac in all varieties, IMO, felt like I was holding a $1000 daisy powerline 600 b gun from decades ago. Plastic trigger guard, plastic floorplate. I know Browning doesn’t make crap, but this just didn’t click for me. The trigger seemed nice, but the safety always clicked no matter how I tried it. The Benelli really grew on me, although it didn’t seem to fit me well. It was also real expensive ($1200) and placed 2nd in the guntest.com results.

So the Remington 750 came out on top with the most features, price, gun test reviews, etc. …and of course it has the SASS (semi automatic single shot) rep. But, It also is made in the USA, and in my home state, and for me that counts a little bit. Rem has also been making these for decades, and many ppl buy them. I had a 7400 (308) years ago, traded it on my first AR platform. I have heard (hearsay) that since Rem has acquired Bushmaster, some of the revs to the 750 line have been made with input from those experts from bushmaster’s E.Stoner’s AR experience. The original 742 design is ofcourse one of John Browning (if JB designed it, it must be good IMO).

…so I found a 750/308, bought it, mounted leupold quick detach rings and a burris fullfield II 3-9x40 to it, boresighted, cleaned the Bgjus out of it, and headed for the range with a few boxes of 180 gr rem core-lokts….

First two shots flawless, I thought to myself “HA! Those naysayers!” … third shot JAMMED, forth shot JAMMED…clip reload ….shots 1,2,3,4 all JAMMED. At this point, the woodsmaster, aka, JAMmaster, looked more like a javelin than a rifle to me.
That was the end of range session one. THANK YOU BETTINGTHEHORSES for the tip on another thread, upon clip adjustment! I made 4 dummy 308s and watched when I manually cycled rounds….they were releasing from the clip on both sides too quick and aiming too high to land in the chamber…a quick adjustment with pliers corrected the problem under manual cycling.

Range session 2 consisted of the firing of 20 rounds 180gr core-lokts, 20 rounds 150gr core-lokts and 20 rounds 180gr Federals………0 (zero) JAMS!. My AR10 was green with envy! As it was raining that day, I allowed the action to get fairly wet for a few shots, and even tried a few “bro” shots (ejection up, and ejection down) …no effect. Somewhat my faith is restored. This 750 may actually ride on-shoulder this fall!

Accuracy? “bro” shots aside when I was actually aiming, once ~sighted in, I was getting golf-ball sized groups at ~75 yds, just off my daypack - both scope & iron, well within my needs for an ADK rifle.

For me personally, a tang safety, bolt-lock open (w/o magazine) and refined trigger would make the 750 far better. I will say however of its “870 shotgun trigger group” – they suck, but they suck exactly the same at 90F as well as –20F, cant be said of many others, even bolt actions.

I am happy with my selection of 750 woodsmaster (so far)
Old September 12, 2009, 09:54 AM   #79
Woodmaster

Follow up on previous review

This is a follow up on my previous review.

I went back shooting another 40 rounds and finish sighting in. Well, this time it did not jam once. It worked perfectly and flawlesly from the first to the last shot. I thought I needed to shoot 200 rounds before going hunting with it but after 80 rounds, I''m confortable bringing this babe in the woods.

I need to mention that meanwhile, Remington offered me to send the riffle to the factory all transport payd. I told them I would rather wait and keep shooting to break-in the riffle. It turns out I won't need to send it at all. I certainly apreciate the offer.

I also need to mention that this riffle comes with a full lifetime warranty.

So at the end:

- The riffle IS reliable indeed
- It's precise and easy to get group in 1-2 MOA radius at 100 yards
- It is made in US (great for a $650 riffle)
- It comes with a full lifetime warranty
- It is easy to get someonecompetent on the phone

So to those who have problems with this riffle I will say this:.

- Read the entire manual before shooting first
- Keep it clean and lubricated as indicated in the manual
- Clean the chamber and barrel with solvent before first shooting (read the manual)
- Plan to shoot at least 100 rounds to break it in using 165-180 gr bullets to ensure proper auto-reloading of the first 50 rounds or so, and use NEW Remington cartridges to prevent the shell from jamming in the chamber.
- Call Remington and complain to them if you have any problems or concerns, they are whilling to help.

Remember, this is not a sloppy AK-47, build with loose parts and able to work full of sand, it is rather a high precision piece of machanic made in US which requires some break-in. The parts which are under stress and a lot of friction need to be polished by utilisation in order to operate smoothly.

Great riffle for the price.

It is a wood's riffle, and I bought it for this purpose. I plan to use it in the woods of North Carolina/Tenesse or Eastern Canada. I hunt in environment of relatively short distances and limited visibility due to branches and bushes. Second shot is vital in this environment. I do not plan to shoot further then 200 yards, even though I'm sure a good shooter would be satisfied with it at 300 yards. I will do mainly Deers, but also some Elks when they have been reintroduced in NC. I might also do Moose and Cariboo in Quebec.

If I wanted to shoot Elks at 400 yards on Western open areas, I would rather have purchased a 300 Winchester Mag with longer barrel and bolt action, when impact and precision on long distance is more important then second shot.

Good hunt.
Old September 13, 2009, 07:00 AM   #80
ADKhilander

Woodmaster - I am just about pacing with you, at about ~80 shots with the same result. I took the 750 along to camp with me yesterday and had the opportunity to shoot off another 20 rounds. Zero jams.

I agree that these rifles seem like they need to shoot-in a bit. One thing that I didnt do upon receiving the gun was to take a small pipe cleaner and swab out the gas port. I had done this after my second range session and seemed to take a lot of gunk out. It maybe that in the packing process, Remington puts too much grease in the bbl, which oozes into the gas port - effectively clogging/diminishing the gas system.

I'll probably have another 100 rounds through this before the season starts, but at this point I feel confident in the 750 as you do.
Old September 22, 2009, 06:40 PM   #81
ADKhilander

quick update: another 100 through the 750 (80 168gr ball rounds and 20 corelokt 180 for sight tuning) - 0 failures.
Old September 22, 2009, 08:17 PM   #82
sc928porsche

I dont know about the 7400 or the 750. I do own a 742BDL and a 760BDl. Both are in 30-06 and have never experienced a problem with them. I do like the looks of the new walnut stocks tho.

Last edited by sc928porsche; September 22, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old September 22, 2009, 08:58 PM   #83
Whitetail

I have owned an old 742 and 7400 and both had every problem in the book.
Hope the 750 proves better.
Old November 19, 2009, 07:56 PM   #84
ADKhilander

2009 deer #1 fallen to 750

rain & freezing fog rendered my scope useless, iron sights on 750 / .308 (with electrical tape over the muzzle) 1 shot 1 kill fork horn. I am developing a trust with the 750, I am grabbing it for our (NY) southern zone season opening this weekend. There would be no difference in putting this down on the driveway and blasting it with the garden hose to the rain/field conditions endured. I am happy with the performance so far. Next upgrade - set of firesights.
Old November 19, 2009, 11:18 PM   #85
4sixteen

Glad to hear it's working fine for you. I have an older 35 Whelen 7400 that's had probably at least a 1000 rounds put through it. It works flawlessly.

Some things to watch out for:

1. The plastic forend seal will crack over time from taking the forend off for cleaning. A new one is just a few dollars.
2. The plastic bolt dust cover will begin to crack over time. Recommend replacing it when a crack develops otherwise it could jam the bolt open (happened to my 7400 at the range after several hundred shots).
3. The forend screw will loosen after several shots, maybe use blue loctite to keep it snug. Could affect accuracy and operation as it loosens.

Here's my recently purchased 35 Whelen 750 carbine with a Leupold 2.5x scope -

Old February 12, 2010, 05:12 PM   #86
pilotshooter

Newbie Question about Remington 750

I read this thread AFTER purchasing a used 750 in 270 cal from the Bass Pro Shops Fine Gun Room...

At first I had buyer's remorse reading about the jamming. Then I took the rifle to a range and shot 20 rounds of Winchester 270 130gr. Had fits inserting the magazine and the auto-loader did jam once on the 10th round. Took the rifle home, cleaned it and bought a new magazine and Remington cartridges.

With the new magazine and Remington rounds, I shot 15 rounds flawlessly. Then I switched to the Winchester rounds. Still no jamming. And the magazine inserted much more smoothly with both cartridges.

One thing I did notice: At 100 yards, the Winchester rounds fired low and to the left of my target while the Remington rounds fired a little high and center of the bulls eye. Both were 130gr.

Is this typical?
Old April 4, 2010, 05:53 PM   #87
dzavoina

I have a 750 and not have had any jamming problems, however, my rifle is experiencing extract problems.
I took the rifle to the gunsmith at Gander Mountain, and he says that the chamber is not finished from the maching process at manufacture. He also said that he's seen this on several other 750's.
He also said that another chronic problem is that the gas bleed hole in the barrel is not drilled correctly. Half the hole is drilled on the land and half on the groove, allowing gasses to bleed past the bullet as it travels down the barrel, altering the bullets trajectory and accuracy. This also means that there is not enough gas to operate the bolt correctly, also causing jams.

Dave
Madison, MS
Old April 4, 2010, 07:34 PM   #88
alfack

I have one with about 100 30.06 rounds through it. Mine was jamming every other round, only from the left side of the magazine. I took some needle nose and bent the lip of the mag a little. It's been flawless ever since. I put an aimpoint on it and can line up a shot pretty quick, now.
Old April 4, 2010, 08:01 PM   #89
MTT TL

Hmm... for $300 you can get a used 740.

They all seem to work just fine, even the ones that were not very well treated.
Old September 4, 2010, 06:56 PM   #90
MRFranks

Remington 750 Woodmaster

Well, this is my first post and I'm a little concerned about my recent purchase of said rifle (on a recommendation from a friend). I ordered it through Davidson's (in .308Win) so I haven't had the opportunity to handle the rifle. I wanted an R-25, but they are illegal here in California, unless one has the "bullet" device installed to render the magazine release useless unless one uses a loaded cartridge (the bullet end--hence the name) or another thin pointed tool to release the magazine. Surprisingly, this makes the R-25 legal and very expensive. I looked at other makers (Benelli, Browning) but the price was outside my budget. One of the things I noticed about the 750 is that the bolt does not stay open with the magazine removed. That makes for some interesting safety procedures at the range, as during a ceasefire the range master orders all actions open and empty, magazines removed, bolts locked open. This, then, brings me to a question--is there an aftermarket bolt hold-open device that can be retrofitted to the 750?
I bought this rifle as my primary pig gun (I have an old Win 1895 in .30-40 I've used in the past but I can't scope the rifle--aging eyes). Further, metastatic prostate cancer has deposited many lesions on my right shoulder, so a soft shooting rifle is in order unless I want a catastrophic fracture of my humorous bone. Hopefully, once I've broken in the 750, I'll be able to use it on a planned pig hunt this spring.
Old September 5, 2010, 07:51 AM   #91
sc928porsche

sorry, almost repost
Old November 4, 2010, 03:39 AM   #92
734Jackson

What was the final decision on this? Cabelas has the 750 on sale, thinking about buying it.
Old November 22, 2010, 10:05 PM   #93
Buck Rue

Remington 750 Woodmaster

After reading all of the comments regarding the 750, I decided to buy one with the hope that I could handle any problems. My Rem 597 17HMR was recalled and I needed to buy another Remington in order to get my rebate. I have 700's and really didn't have any wholes in my arsenal for another gun. Rright! With an already bitter taste in my mouth I received the 750. Like ADKilander and Woodmaster my experience has been exactly like theirs. Cleaned thoroughly and ran 65 rds through it. It was running rough at first. Some miss feeds etc. By rd. 45 it started running perfect. With the factory mag. no problems and even in the 10 rd. mag it has had one jam. It groups 1-1 1/2" with scope. It's taking everything from 150- 180gr. Different ammo groups differently but consistent. Got this for pigs hoping to get a few quick follow up shots. I joined to thank all who contribute their comments. They are very helpful and much appreciated. Hopefully mine will help also.
Old November 23, 2010, 10:05 AM   #94
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Necrothreadia of a polling thread is Just Not The Deal. (Better to start a new thread with a URL reference to the "ded-thred".)