The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 2, 1999, 10:15 AM   #1
johnboy
Retired Screen Name

Did Bubbette survive? Really, how did the match go, number of shooters, are you going to do it next year?

We did the Tennessee State Championships, would like to know what worked well and what did not. How many stages, too long or too short?

Johnboy
Old November 2, 1999, 11:36 AM   #2
Bubba

Well... Bubbette took a few more hits...

The biggest problem we had... was RAIN. It poured cats and dogs all morning long. Made a number of the moving stages pretty tricky. As things dried out in the afternoon it got better, but the mud was still a pain.

We had to eliminate stage 9, Maverick. We did not think it would be a good idea to have folks sitting in a metal horse trough with electricity and rain and lightening.

Our courses of fire are listed at http://www.io.com/~bgmccord//REPTX99CHAMP.HTML .

All in all, even with the bad weather, everyone seemed to have a good time. Hats off to the brave souls who decided to shoot in the morning even WITH the downpour.

You should note, this entire match was done with a Texas flair. We were not trying to be all that tacticaly aware. We were there to have fun. So... in some cases... we were not exactly politicaly correct.

I took some pictures early in the day on Friday when just the SOs were shooting. You can see pics of Defending the Alamo and Maverick at http://home.swbell.net/tburba/ .

Overall.. I think we had right at 70 shooters registered. The rain caused some of them to leave. So we may have only had 60 or so by the end. We had shooters from all around Tx and LA. But we also had some from Las Vegas and North Carolina as well. I think I will go shoot with the NC boys in a couple of weeks when I travel out that way on business. Several other out of towners invited me to shoot with them as well. (I travel all over the country and love to shoot) All in all a GREAT bunch of people.

The rain caused us to have to protect a lot of targets with dry cleaning bags.. which cased a few problems with no-shoots being visible in front of some targets. The flour in the general store got wet.. and that became fun... grin

We wound up with 11 stages total. The Fast Draw and Maverick were eliminated due to range limitations and the weather. Most of the stages moved pretty fast. We shot the SOs on Friday all as one squad. That was a long long day. I think we would split that up better next time. We used open squading for the main match. That seemed to work pretty well.... but people tended to put of the standards stages till the end...

Since we shot the SOs as a single squad, we did not finish in one day. We all had to work in 2 stages on the next day... after working 40 or so shooters through. I guess that did not lend itself to keeping me motivated. I dropped 6 seconds on the last 2 stages I shot... and wound up in 3rd by less than.5 secs. Oh well.. Like I said... we were there to have fun.. and that we did...

Marc and Bev McCord put on a great time for all of us... and Mr. Chapman was there to provide us all his wisdom as well... Will we do it again next year?? Oh yeah.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

[This message has been edited by Bubba (edited November 02, 1999).]
Old November 3, 1999, 09:52 AM   #3
johnboy
Retired Screen Name

Thanks Bubba, sorry about the rain. That's one thing we have had great luck with at our matches, it did not rain. Courses of fire looked real good. Will try some at our club.

Again, thanks for the information.

Johnboy