The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 18, 1999, 09:07 AM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Shot a local IDPA match yesterday. Good group of guys and ladies. Some draw from belly bands and fanny packs; many are shooting their Glock 26/27 rather than succumbing to the temptation to drag out the 22/23 (or 24). Obviously, this group is into learning more than pure competition.

One thing I did notice is that virtually none performs a scan at the end of the stage, let alone a tac load. At the risk of slowing down the shoot, I did both at the end of each stage. Even though we were running a cold range, neither RO gave me a hassle for doing the Tac Load at finish and then pausing to unload. In fact, I was commended by one.

Question: In your local clubs, do you encourage such actions, even at the risk of others rolling their eyes? (Remember Hilton's valid comment that the scan should include checking your six without violating the 180 rule.)
Rich
Old January 18, 1999, 01:20 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Received a new issue of Dillon's Blue Press yesterday and saw something which disturbed me: An IDPA holster designed for speed and ultra fast presentation. Excuse me, but was IDPA suppose to be for duty weapons or CCW rigs? I'm afraid that if this becomes a trend, IDPA will go the way of IPSC with emphasis on speed over tactics and finicky race guns over duty weapons.
Old January 18, 1999, 06:19 PM   #3
bear

Just wondering why a holster thats fast would
be a problem?? if it held the gun in place I would think the faster you could get it out the better.
Old January 18, 1999, 07:02 PM   #4
motorep

Rich, as much as Bill Wilson, John Sayle , and the rest want you to beleive otherwise, it's still just a game. No one would say anything to you at any of our IPSC matches about anything you do as long as you do it safely. We have a fairly large law enforcement membership in our section, everyone gets whatever he or she wants from our matches.
Old January 19, 1999, 12:22 AM   #5
Clay Whitehead

We were shooting IDPA rules to start with at FAS here in western Washington, but as Marty Hayes(director of FAS), Dane Burns and some of the rest got thinking about it, we evolved some new rules to keep things a little more realistic. That is, as realistic as one can be and still use stationary targets.

The range is always hot. That gives you a chance to do that tactical reload at the end of a stage, Rich. There are usually fewer safety problems on a hot range (Rule One is true: All guns are always loaded!!!!)

To make scoring work better, a tactical par time was set for the surprise stages. A set amount of time is allowed without penalty to solve the problem. Each second over the par time is scored as penalty against your score. Other IDPA scoring is used for procedurals and such, but SO's keep a closer eye for having too much of the shooter hanging out of cover.

The surprise stages work realy well. the shooters don't talk about the stage they have completed so everyone gets the same chance at it. The honor system works among honorable people.

To make the targets more realistic, the Reactive Teds were developed. They have been discussed in this forum before. Steel plates and regular IDPA cardboard targets are used as well as the odd pepper popper.

It helps to have the type of facility that is at FAS (which stands for Firearms Academy of Seattle, BTW).

This year there will only be four match weekends, but one day of each will be a three gun match. It looks to be a fun year.
Old January 19, 1999, 08:47 AM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Clay-
I,too, consider a hot range safer. I'm a guest shooter with this club. Their deire to run a cold range is fine with me. It just requires an unload after the tac load.

In any case, safety is paramount with these guys and they do a real good job at maintaining the rules. I was, for instance, asked to perform an "eyes on gun" unload so that two pairs of eyes could confirm unload. This, to me, is sensible in the context of a cold range. However, I would prefer never to unload my weapon in a training scenario...my druthers would be to step forward to the 3YD with an RO. Unfortunately, this is problematic with 20 shooters trying to get range time on a cold range.
Rich