The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 11, 2009, 08:10 PM   #26
koolminx

I was shooting 22 shorts and 22 low velocity yesterday through my J Stephens break barrel single shot .22 pistol and they sounded like a Pop Cap gun without hearing protection on.

I barely registered the shot through the 6 inch barrel with the shorts and the low velocity rounds.
Old October 11, 2009, 08:51 PM   #27
bcarver

sound

Three noises a gun creates.
1. bullet breaking the sound barrier.
Answer- sub sonic bullets.
2.action of gun.
Answer- less moving parts. single shots or bolt guns.
3.Expanding gases.
Answer. closed action,long barrel,suppressor,less powder.

In a pistol, a contender with 14" barrel a large volume suppressor shooting the weakest charged heaviest projectile you could find.
However this is a poor shooting weapon. It would be long and bulky, inaccurate and ineffective.
Old October 13, 2009, 11:14 AM   #28
RAnb

Quote:
In a pistol, a contender with 14" barrel a large volume suppressor shooting the weakest charged heaviest projectile you could find.
However this is a poor shooting weapon. It would be long and bulky, inaccurate and ineffective.
You are saying the contender pistol is inaccurate? Mine is not. It is about the same as my Marlin and Ruger 10/22 rifles (non match grade) as accuracy is concerned. Better than my 10 inch bull barrel Buckmark, Winchester 06 and wayyyyyyy better than my P-22. Yeah it is a long bulky break open single shot, but if you hit the target on the first shot, then that is all you need.

Ranb
Old October 25, 2009, 03:08 PM   #29
Polomax

Im VERY happy shooting my S&W 41 with a Soundtech Can it has a slide dampener and is mouse fart quiet. Also the sights are fully useable and this HUSH puppy is a tack driver.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg M-41 S&W.jpg (72.1 KB, 885 views)

Last edited by Polomax; October 25, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old October 25, 2009, 03:43 PM   #30
jsykes

How silent do you want it? Even a semi auto .22 pistol is extremely quiet with a good silencer. Rack the slide with some vigor and that is about as loud as it gets. I could easily shoot in a backyard and not have the neighbors know what was going on.

Here is my 10/22 semi auto rifle with SWR Spectre and you can hear its almost dead silent even with the action moving. For an idea of how loud, listen to the end and you hear the hammer drop on an empty chamber and its almost as loud as the action cycling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IEihyQRpAE