The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 20, 2009, 06:42 PM   #26
Orlando

Tan sling is ither a kakhi that is faded or is a reproduction. I'm guessing reproduction. Canvas slings were used in WWII along with the 1907 leather
Old October 20, 2009, 07:45 PM   #27
Chris_B

Absolutely, yes. As I indicated, that sling is repro. I have seen many photos of web slings in use on the Cotentin peninsula in 1944, and I have seen photos of dug-up relics that were once the buckles and hooks from web slings from battlefields in Europe. So there is no question that web slings were in use- PTO and ETO

However, in regards to 'khaki', that is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. I have a WWI vintage cartridge belt that is the same color as the repro sling pictured above. But as for 'khaki'...never really existed like that, it was shades of OD green and truth be told, even on the same pouch, jacket, or trousers, several shades of OD green could be seen, and some faded faster than others, while some were obviously different when new. There's an original Mills produced 1911 .45 magazine pouch that I have, where two shades of OD green can bee seen. The inside surface with the Mills stamps was not sun faded It's a much better example than my cartridge belt, as the mag pouch is pretty cherry while the belt was used heavily by my Pop in the '60s for holding ammo when he went to the range

As you can see...quite close to the color of my repro sling. "Khaki" is a subject collectors go nuts over and debate endlessly. Suffice to say that a wide swath of "Olive Drab Green" was used, some of which really does look like what is considered "Khaki", when you consider that the inside surface of the material was never sun faded. They did not get real choosy with fabric colors. The pistol belt is original WWII as well, and is probably fairly sun faded but not horribly as evidenced by the clear "US" stamp. But compare the outer surface of the pouch 'body' to the flap with the printing, and to the belt. Some belts were very green, some were close to tan, some pouches were darker, some light like this one, and there's two different colors to the pouch if you look closely

Compare to the very sun faded cartridge belt

Anyway, the sling on the right in my photo is definitely a reproduction and if you could see the buckle the nature of it would be evident

Last edited by Chris_B; October 20, 2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old October 20, 2009, 07:59 PM   #28
Orlando

Sorry, missed that in your post that it was a repro
Old October 20, 2009, 08:05 PM   #29
Chris_B

No problem, I got a chance to go find some photos!
Old October 24, 2009, 03:39 AM   #30
gyvel

[PHP]When I did my boot camp rifle range time at Camp Pendleton in 1968, we
spent all morning one day stacking and unstacking our M14s[/PHP]

How do you go about stacking M-14s?
Old October 24, 2009, 10:28 PM   #31
Walter

Quote:
How do you go about stacking M-14s?
I've been thinking about that, and I would have sworn we used stacking swivels, but we may have used the front sling swivels. I know we didn't use the slings.

I distinctly remember stacking the dern things, but you would think I could remember how we did it.
It's only been 40 years since.

Walter

Last edited by Walter; October 24, 2009 at 11:18 PM.