The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 21, 2009, 07:48 AM   #1
joepa150

How to shoot and handle a Glock?

I just purchased my first semiauto pistol (Glock 19). I had a few questions on how to handle and operate it. I believe I know the answers but I just want to make sure.

1) Once I put the mag in is it ready to fire or do I need to rack or chamber it?
2) Say I have one in the chamber but decide not to shoot. Do I take mag out and then pull slide back to eject the chambered bullet?
3) If it is brand new do I need to clean it before using?
4) How many rounds does it take to break in if any?
5) Is the Glock compatible with many brands/types of rounds such as ones from Walmart?
6) Can I dry fire?
7) When releasing the slide using the slide release is it better to also have a hand on the slide to slowly let it down?
Old October 21, 2009, 07:58 AM   #2
starjammir

1) Once I put the mag in is it ready to fire or do I need to rack or chamber it?If the slide is back when you load the mag, push the slide release and one will go in the chamber, otherwise you need to rack the slide
2) Say I have one in the chamber but decide not to shoot. Do I take mag out and then pull slide back to eject the chambered bullet?Yep, you should drop the mag first otherwise you are just going to put another in the chamber.
3) If it is brand new do I need to clean it before using?I was told you did so I cleaned my girlfriends for her, its not hard just take the copper crap off
4) How many rounds does it take to break in if any?I did no break in
5) Is the Glock compatible with many brands/types of rounds such as ones from Walmart?Yep, I mostly use WWB
6) Can I dry fire?Yes, you can
7) When releasing the slide using the slide release is it better to also have a hand on the slide to slowly let it down? My girlfriend rides the slide, I personally just let it go, just like an AR-15
Old October 21, 2009, 08:04 AM   #3
NSO_w/_SIG

I'd advise you getting some kind of formal training, no offense but you seem to know very little about the general operation of firearms.

Never ride a slide home, rack the slide and let it go home with all it's force, prevents malfunctions and any chance of an out of battery discharge.
Old October 21, 2009, 08:19 AM   #4
joepa150

No offense taken. This is my first pistol as noted.
Old October 21, 2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Alleykat

If you got a manual with your new Glock, then I'd suggest reading it. Most of your questions have been answered. You don't need to clean the copper anti-seize compound off a new Glock, but you should clean the pistol and properly lube it. Properly lubing a Glock only requires four-five small drops of oil. Rather than using the slide stop lever as a slide release, many, if not most instructors recommend reaching over the rear of the slide with four fingers and pulling the slide all the way back, then releasing it abruptly.

One thing to drill into your head!! When you drop the mag from a Glock and many other semi-autos, the pistol will still fire the round that's in the chamber. Don't forget to clear the chamber after you drop the mag!

Also, make sure that the thumb of your "weakside" hand isn't behind the slide when firing. The slide will cut your hand, if you use that type of grip.
Old October 21, 2009, 09:39 AM   #6
TailGator

Congratulations on your new purchase. You will really like your Glock 19, I am certain, but from reading your post it is obvious that it is vital that you learn more about the gun before loading it, let alone firing it.

Forgive me for re-emphasizing Alleykat's central point, but: Above all else, realize that when you remove the magazine, any round that you have chambered by racking the slide is still chambered and will fire if you pull the trigger. You have to rack the slide again with the magazine removed to clear the round from the chamber for the gun to be fully unloaded and safe. Always be sure of this by checking both visually and by touch. Never take anyone else's word for this. A person who really knows guns will respect your caution.

Please either ask your gun shop or range for a recommendation for a professional trainer, or work with a knowledgeable friend to learn how to handle your gun safely. Start by going over its workings while it is unloaded. Only when you are thoroughly familiar with the controls and how to safely handle this weapon should you go to the range, still with experienced assistance, and load the firearm and fire it.

No one was born with congenital knowledge of firearms - it is acquired over time. Everyone here will help as much as they can, but it is up to you to learn safely.

Last edited by TailGator; October 21, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old October 21, 2009, 03:15 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

I just deleted several posts. Let's see if we can help this guy get through the basics first before we get into the less serious stuff. For those who want to post that kind of thing here's a thread that is appropriate: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=380603

The advice to read the manual completely is what I would recommend as a first step. If there are more questions please post them.
Old October 21, 2009, 03:38 PM   #8
rsxr22

i would also suggest some type of formal training as well.

As far as the info goes, i think starjammir hit it spot on!

Goodluck and congrats
Old October 21, 2009, 03:52 PM   #9
vel525

congrats on your purchase!

+1 to rsxr22's recommendation on formal training. here's a link to the nra site to find a basic pistol course near you: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx
also, most local ranges will offer some type of intro to or basic pistol course so that's another option.

Last edited by vel525; October 21, 2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old October 21, 2009, 04:04 PM   #10
joepa150

Are the NRA classes usually more money than the ranges.

Any other ideas for finding firearm classes besides NRA and shooting ranges?
Old October 21, 2009, 04:12 PM   #11
tjhands

One thing that hasn't been mentioned:

You asked about slowly releasing the slide after pushing the slide release lever. As has been noted, do not help the slide to slowly go forward if you are loading a round into the chamber - just let it slam shut on its own.

BUT!! If you are finished shooting (empty mag) and the slide is locked to the rear, then you SHOULD put a hand on the slide and help it forward. You don't want the slide slamming forward on an empty chamber.
Old October 21, 2009, 04:26 PM   #12
joepa150

TJHANDs great advice. Your advice is what I actually meant in my question. If I slam my slide fwd several times a day this can add up in time which may not be good for the gun. Common sense tells me not to gently release the slide when loading a round into the chamber even though I am a "beginner".

Why though shouldn't I slam the slide fwd with an empty mag?
Old October 21, 2009, 04:31 PM   #13
General Disarray

I apologize if someone already answered this, but the OP asked about types of ammo, and I thought it worth noting that you don't ever want to shoot lead bullets in a Glock. Only shoot jacketed ammo, but which brand doesn't really matter.
Old October 21, 2009, 04:36 PM   #14
davlandrum

Another thread on glocks and lead - seems to be a mix of opinions on it. I also thought it was a strict no-no from reading the internet (I do not own a glock), but the guys that shoot them differ.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 21, 2009, 04:42 PM   #15
Sixer

Quote:
I don't think you can. The follower on the empty mag prevents the slide from moving forward. This is why when you empty a mag down range, the slide is locked in the open position. You won't be able to release the slide until you remove the empty magazine or insert a mag with ammo in it.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old October 21, 2009, 04:43 PM   #16
BanditSRT8

1) Read the owner's manual almost all of your questions are answered in there... and some with detailed pictures.

2) Get some training at your local gun range, sign up for a beginner's safety class in gun handling at the least.
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old October 21, 2009, 05:30 PM   #17
PhoenixConflagration

Two Birds With One Buck

Most Concealed Weapons classes will go over the basics of safety and handling, then give you some shooting time (not to mention the details of carry and legal SD). If you're thinking of getting you CHL, don't take a beginners course then the concealed course, just go straight to concealed. That's what I did. Congrats on buying a great gun. Good luck and stay safe.
Old October 21, 2009, 05:36 PM   #18
comn-cents

Congrats. Remember the 4 basic safety rules of gun ownership.
Every Gun is loaded. Whether you just checked it or not, check it again.
Don't point it at anything you aren’t will to destroy (that includes yourself)
Keep you finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. keep it along side, pointing towards your target.
Make sure of your backdrop. Bullets can travel a long way and still be deadly, you don't want to shot your target and have it hit something or someone 300 yrd away, because you don't have a good backstop.

Good luck and welcome.
Old October 21, 2009, 05:56 PM   #19
joepa150

I am not a frequent shooter or by no means an expert. I been infrequently shooting for about 20 years (shotguns, rifles, revolvers, and semi auto pistols). I know gun safety pretty well including Comn-cents 4 basic rules. I don't think imho that my questions portrayed me as someone who never touched a gun before but I guess I was wrong.

My questions were more operational questions as compared to gun safety and how to shoot a gun. Of course it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a course just to refresh and learn a few new things. Even the gun saleman wasn't familiar with how every pistol operated and he sees them and handles them everyday.
Old October 21, 2009, 06:02 PM   #20
comn-cents

joepa150
I was definitely not trying to imply anything bad, I guess I just thought from your question that you are a novice. Hope everyone else answered you question. Enjoy.
Old October 21, 2009, 06:23 PM   #21
joepa150

Comn-cents. My response wasn't directed to you. I too probably would recommend to a beginner to take a basic coarse so I can't really blame anyone for responding that way.
Old October 21, 2009, 07:42 PM   #22
Polomax

Possible Friends that do shoot ????

Do you possibly have any friends that have a semiauto that you could shoot with and learn the ropes of the gun in question ??? If so there is nothing like learning hands on in a safe area to do so. Im all for hands on learning and most of the safety courses i`ve been to are good if you have no experience shooting a weapon. But if you have shot different weapons over the past 20 something years you have atleast a leg up on most. I would recommend possibly getting together with some neighborhood shooters that you know well enough to shoot with, find a safe area and show them your semiauto you have,.... .. see if they also have semiauto`s if so tell them to bring one of theres to the shoot direct your semiauto questions to them & see 1st hand show-and-tell..... the rest is FUN, FUN. FUN........ Congrats on the new peashooter the Glock 19 is gonna be MY NEXT PURCHASE...... did you also look at the Model 17 and the 34 ???? I find that the 19 IMO will be a nice all around shooter out of the 3.... Good luck and be SAFE !!!
Old October 21, 2009, 09:08 PM   #23
wally626

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think you can. The follower on the empty mag prevents the slide from moving forward. This is why when you empty a mag down range, the slide is locked in the open position. You won't be able to release the slide until you remove the empty magazine or insert a mag with ammo in it.
The slide will lock open after the last round is fired, but it will release with the mag in or out, loaded or unloaded, either by sling-shoting it or using the slide release.

The reason not to let the slide slam closed with no round (real or snap cap) is so you do not have steel to steel contact. The brass case cushions the blow somewhat. I think you would have to slam the slide a lot to do any damage, but helping it forward does reduce wear and tear a little.
Old October 22, 2009, 12:44 AM   #24
BanditSRT8

Quote:
I don't think imho that my questions portrayed me as someone who never touched a gun before but I guess I was wrong.
Yes, you were wrong.

Quote:
1) Once I put the mag in is it ready to fire or do I need to rack or chamber it?

Read the manual, or take a class.

2) Say I have one in the chamber but decide not to shoot. Do I take mag out and then pull slide back to eject the chambered bullet?

Read the manual or take a class

3) If it is brand new do I need to clean it before using?

Being that it is a Glock: No. They fire right out of the box with no maintenance required. Just check the barrel for any obstructions before shooting.

4) How many rounds does it take to break in if any?

Since it is a Glock: None.

5) Is the Glock compatible with many brands/types of rounds such as ones from Walmart?

Good question, not one of the newbie questions that are being talked about in previous responses.

Just avoid non-jacketed bullets.

6) Can I dry fire?

Yes. To your heart's content.

7) When releasing the slide using the slide release is it better to also have a hand on the slide to slowly let it down?

No, this slows down the action and it has less energy to strip off the round off the magazine and cause it to jam (FTF).

XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech

Last edited by BanditSRT8; October 22, 2009 at 03:05 AM.
Old October 22, 2009, 01:53 AM   #25
goose13

I agree with what others on here have suggested and take a beginners course on handguns. I too was pretty new to handguns when I bought my first one. Even though I had shot before with friends in the past it was my first time owning so I took a beginners course at my local range, let me tell you it was well worth it.

They covered all the basic operations of a semi auto handgun, because before I shot my handgun I wanted to feel comfortable with every aspect of it. The guy that taught my basic, and my CCW class also will do 1 on 1 training with whatever aspect you want to work on for a reasonable price like $50 for an hour. Or if you shoot there often enough, I got to know them pretty well so everytime I go as long as he's not busy he will sit down and work with me on my shooting, mainly accuracy and more advanced techniques free of charge. Even though I feel I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to handguns i still welcome tips and pointers from someone more knowledgeable than I am, there's always something out there you can learn.