The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools
Old October 4, 2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Junior member
Join Date: September 19, 2005
Posts: 146
Just wondering, before I start my collection:

Are "TAX" stamps deductible?? I may accumulate a half-dozen or so. Should I just become a Dealer?
21CFA is offline  
Old October 4, 2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Willie Lowman
Senior Member
Join Date: March 5, 2009
Location: Uh-Hi-O
Posts: 2,455
Well, I can't say about deducting NFA stamps but if you are looking at buying six registered machineguns, I can't see what harm getting a class III FFL would do. You can keep pre-samples when you give up your license.
Will work for Q3131
Willie Lowman is offline  
Old October 5, 2009, 12:22 AM   #3
David Hineline
Senior Member
Join Date: December 23, 1999
Location: South Sioux City, Nebraska
Posts: 704
Excise tax is not deductible, becomming a dealer is like being a crack addict. Paying the money and tax for transferrables makes the best sense.
David Hineline is offline  
Old October 5, 2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Willie Lowman
Senior Member
Join Date: March 5, 2009
Location: Uh-Hi-O
Posts: 2,455
becomming a dealer is like being a crack addict.
That's funny. I am going to tell my class III dealer that. He fits the image too, with more pre-sample HKs than you can shake a stick at. He calls them his babies
Will work for Q3131
Willie Lowman is offline  
Old October 7, 2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Join Date: January 30, 2009
Posts: 19
Can not become a dealer to avoid paying transfer taxes.
jestertoo is offline  
Old October 9, 2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: August 4, 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 295
I would strongly suggest contacting a Chartered Accountant about that...

As far as I know the Tax Stamp is a necessary part of your business, hence a deductible expense same a property or business taxes are especially if you sell the item...

It also depends if you are a business dealing in "outdoor" stuff or just a private collector then if the first you may and the second you can't...

I can't remember how Capital Gains works in the USA but if you sell the firearm the "tax stamp" is then a loss and it would reduce the amount you would have to pay...

I started a small company dealing in outdoor equipment--clothing, knives, flashlights, optics, fishing rods & reels, fishing tackle etc. just so I could buy stuff at wholesale pricing...Took out the necessary government licenses, I file an income statement every year and I show enough sales to be a legal business but declare a loss every year what with taxes, shipping, duties, excise tax, exchange etc...
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
SeekHer is offline  
Old October 12, 2009, 06:03 PM   #7
Join Date: June 29, 2004
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 25
I wish I would have thought of that before I bought my guns. It would me nice to be able to deduct the tax
nolmsted is offline  

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2014 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.08517 seconds with 9 queries