The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 9, 2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Neil2470

IWI Jericho 941 (9mm)

Hello everyone. I am in the market for a new pistol and am seriously thinking about buying the Jericho 941, formerly the baby eagle, uzi, eagle, etc. I had the opportunity the handle one a while back and it was very comfortable in my hand. To be more specific I am looking at the ALL STEEL-FULL SIZE- 9MM- BLUED.

I could not find that many posts on the forum and just want some general feedback about peoples experiences.

Also if you have bought one since KBI, Inc. started importing them again I wanted to know if there are any major difference in visual design since Magnum research was the importer.

Thanks in advance.
Old October 9, 2009, 02:48 PM   #2
azredhawk44

I'm starting to feel like a broken record and it's kinda odd that all of a sudden the Baby Eagle is getting so much demand on this and other forums... Something makes me wonder if Charles Daly (the new importer) is trying to astroturf support for more Google hits.

Anyways...

It's a good gun that is based on the CZ-75 design but with a few differences. The biggest mechanical difference is the location of the safety: On the slide rather than on the frame. Poor decision, IMO. The slide moves, sometimes very rapidly and fiercely. If you're in a struggle for your gun and trying to deactivate the safety while also trying to shoot an attacker, you can wind up seriously hurting yourself on the slide mounted safety. Other guns also draw this criticism: S&W all metal semiautomatics, Ruger P-series, Beretta 92's.

The logistal drawback to this gun is the Charles Daly apparently isn't in a position to support these guns in a timely manner. Several posters have been through here and other forums looking for various spare parts, and unable to get them without sending the entire gun in to Daly's support folks. When you carry gun breaks an extractor at the 25,057th round and you're comfortable with replacing it on your own, it'd be nice to just have one on hand in your toolbox so you don't lose use of your gun for a month or longer for shipping and service (along with huge shipping charges for sending a firearm through UPS/Fedex).

I'd recommend you get a CZ. Exact same gun (the BE and EAA Witness are based on the CZ-75 design), but much better support in the marketplace.
Old October 9, 2009, 03:27 PM   #3
NJgunowner

I love my 941, but I have been considering selling it for a CZ or Sig.
Old October 9, 2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Neil2470

Quote:
I love my 941, but I have been considering selling it for a CZ or Sig.
NJgunowner, what reason(s) do you have to want to get rid of your 941?
Old October 9, 2009, 03:57 PM   #5
DBAR

Good gun, well made, and it looks good. With that said, I think your spending a little added money for the name. I still have 2 CZ's, and I can't really knock the Baby Eagle, but it is essentially another clone. My brohter had one, and sold it. I got the magazines, and replaced the followers.

DBAR

Last edited by DBAR; October 9, 2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old October 9, 2009, 04:15 PM   #6
armoredman

I'd go with the original, CZ-75B, but that's just me.
Old October 9, 2009, 04:23 PM   #7
Neil2470

My only problem with the CZ-75 is that in NJ the max mag capacity you can have is 15. I believe the 9mm CZ come in 16 round mags which I can not get.
Old October 9, 2009, 07:01 PM   #8
wilkup

More info...

I know the thread title isn't what you're looking for, but give it a look... I'm in the middle of the same dilemma and didn't realize Jericho is the "new" Baby Eagle... Hope it helps man.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378318
Old October 9, 2009, 08:37 PM   #9
armoredman

15 round mags for the CZs are available, that was the original capacity.
In fact, here's a few for sale. http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=26537.0

Last edited by armoredman; October 9, 2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old October 10, 2009, 01:55 AM   #10
roman3

http://members.shaw.ca/sherm/jericho/Page1.html

Check our page 3 from the above site, some interesting pics.

I had the Jehrico 941 - the old briefcase kit that came with both the 9mm and 41AE conversions. The gun was still made by the government agency of IMI back then. IWI is the newer civilian version of the company for export. It was a smooth shooting, heavy, 9mm pistol. Excellent in all regards.

In 41AE (may that cartridge rest in peace) the gun was quite a little canon. Way more snappier than the 40SW. And not really fun to shoot.

The only real issue then (over 15 years ago) was finding spare mags, otherwise the position of the decocker/safety in the slide seemed sometimes to be in the wrong place. You didn't seem to be able to not grab the levers when racking the slide.

Funny thing is I was offered a great trade deal for it by a guy who was a huge fan of the 41AE round. Wonder how that's working out for him now? Hope he reloads.
Old October 10, 2009, 07:33 AM   #11
Lucky 7

Try serching for 941, Baby Eagle, (BE) 9900, Uzi Eagle, et al. The information is out there. I know because I, and many other fans of the gun, posted quite a bit of info on it.

Quick overview for you:
1) Tanfoglio (EAA) Mags work best in it. Ensure you get the red followers. Current production guns ship w/ 15rd mags

2) Considered undersprung by many (including myself). Factory weight is 14#. Replace the recoil spring w/ a 16# one from Wolff (www.gunsprings.com).

3) Charles Daly (and, frankly, IDC if it sounds like bashing. A spade is a spade.) is in no way ready to support this line of weapons. THREE months and no guide rod.

4) Holster selection is a beast. Brigade Gunleather is top notch. I've been packing my various CZ-pattern guns (a pair of Witness Carry-Comps, Jericho and CZ-75) since '06 in one of their IWB models. The holster, albeit a little thick, has stood up well to nearly every day carry (can't pack in base and couldn't take it over there). However, I believe their wait time is around 12 months.

If anything else comes to mind, I'll let you know.

Regards and good luck,
Lucky
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC

Tags
941 , imi , iwi , jericho