The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Dr. Strangelove

Lyman All-American Turret Press

The old school one? I found one used as part of an estate sale at $75.00, quick search tells me I would need to spend at least $20.00 more because it uses the old j-style shell holders. Looks to be 30-40 years old.

I might offer $40.00 - $50.00 depending on input from the gang, as I've never used one.

Pros? Cons?
Old October 8, 2009, 12:04 PM   #2
wncchester

Cons are much as you noted, plus any conventional turret has a good bit of press spring that makes precise loading more difficult.

If you just want a good press, chek the Lee Classic Cast single stage or, if you are commited to the idea of a turret, the Lee Classic Turret. Prices will be very close to what you would have in the old Lyman. Even if you got it for half the asking price you wouldn't have a bargan IMHO. And I have a Lyman turret myself.
Old October 8, 2009, 01:36 PM   #3
snuffy

Quote:
Cons are much as you noted, plus any conventional turret has a good bit of press spring that makes precise loading more difficult.
I'll go one further, would make precise loading impossible! In order to become even close to precise loading, the turret would have to be tightened so it couldn't turn to prevent it from rocking on the center pivot bolt. Then loosened to turn to the next die and re-tightened. Then there's that skinny, slim, wimpy ram. Add to that the conversion shell holder, worst case scenario.

Somebody asking $75.00 for that is out of their mind.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 8, 2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Dr. Strangelove

This was part of a huge lot of "stuff" my local gunshop bought after a guy who owned a smaller gunshop died. They are well known to be insanely high on prices, but are willing to negotiate.

I came to the conclusion that I probably wouldn't want this press for free. I just thought it would be something fun to mess with.
Old October 8, 2009, 04:25 PM   #5
eastbank

what a bunch of bull hoocky, the lyman all american turret press is a out standing press, it does need a adapter to use regular shell holders,but so does my hollywood univerisal 12 station turret press, who,s going to say the hollywood is junk? on the back of the lyman press there is a rod that is adjustible to take any slop out of the turret(if there is any there). i have used the lyman press to load thousands of shells with out any problems at all, it is a four station press,so you can have a three die set up along with a powder dispenser, or two die sets for two different shells. eastbank.
Old October 8, 2009, 07:25 PM   #6
Dr. Strangelove

Let me take some of the implied invective out of my earlier post. I'm not against turret presses in general, they just don't suit they way I load.

It certainly looks beefy enough, much more so than modern presses. I've been "burned" by old Lyman equipment before, I picked up a Lyman Pistol Accumeasure for a song and found out that I can't get rotors for it anymore. I should have done my research before purchasing. I suppose I could make rotors for it, but why bother when I can just buy a new measure?

If I thought I could get the press for $50.00 all-in, I would buy it and set it up for 9mm and probably be happy. It seems to cycle correctly, if a little stiff from needing a good cleaning and oiling, but I'm not interested in something I may or may not be able to get parts for if something isn't right.

Edit - Finally home from work and have time to research. Lyman & Midway offer adapters for modern shell holders for about $18.00 with shipping from either source. Lyman no longer makes parts for this press nor has any in stock, so additional turrets are an Ebay item. I like Lyman products, I've used an Orange Crusher for years, but I don't want to get into a situation where I can't get parts if/when I need them.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; October 8, 2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:38 PM   #7
eastbank

to each his own, buy what you like as you will be useing it. i just don,t like to hear things that are not true about a press i know and have used for years with no trouble to load shells from the 22 hornet to the 45-70 and many more in between. i bought my lyman press used many years ago,i believe 23 or 24 years ago, the cost per year has been less than 3.00 a year. so if i would sell my press for 60.00 today, it would mean i used it for nothing. eastbank.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:39 PM   #8
muzzelblast

All Americans frequently sell for $75ish, sometimes more. They do have a slight cult following in certain circles. I've owned two in the past and can attest that they are well made and tight. I've checked runout with an RCBS Casemaster on '06 loads I made on the last one I owned and it compared quite favorably with most single stage presses I've checked. The Forester co-ax produced less run-out but that's one of the things they're known for. Last I checked Lyman still had the universal case adapter but that's been a little while.

All that said the Lee cast turret probably makes more sense for the reloader who owns just one press - unless the AA is in very good shape and can be had for <$50.
Old October 9, 2009, 05:30 PM   #9
Slamfire

Old presses, like 50's stuff, have their own problems. Parts can be hard to find. Lever arms are short, often require the end to be threaded to have a ball installed. Or you eat your palm up working the lever arm. Older presses often don't have compound leverage. You will turn your bench over trying to full length size rifle cases.

I have a Spar-T Lyman. I think the primer catcher cup is worth more than the press. Lyman does not make them anymore.

There is a reason Grandmaw was happy when she got an electric stove. And why Grandpaw let his old press rust in the garage after he got a new one.
Old October 9, 2009, 05:58 PM   #10
eastbank

i have 8 or 9 presses, some older(hollywood univerisal 12 die turret, lyman A.A.,hurters) and some newer (rcbs,dillon,hornady). and i don,t think any will load a shell any better than the older lyman A.A. i would put it up against any made today and it has already given over 35 years service, 23-24 with me. and where are you going to buy a newer press for 50-75 dollars thats any better than that. eastbank
Old October 10, 2009, 01:11 AM   #11
snuffy

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=814175

Lee classic turret, $94.99. Ten times the press that any lyman turret ever thought of being.

I HAD a Lyman spar "T". Had it for several months, loaded silhouette shells on it, until I tracked the inaccuracy I was getting to the slop in the turret. A friend had a tool similar to the RCBS case master gauge. I ran some 44 mags I was shooting at the time in competition over that gauge. Runnout was terrible! Same for the .357 mags I was also loading for my contender. Switched back to the rockchucker, beside the turret wasn't any faster!

Some people insist the old presses are "just as good" as the newer stuff. Is you car today better than say a 1955 chevy?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 10, 2009, 08:41 AM   #12
wncchester

" i just don,t like to hear things that are not true about a press i know and have used for years with no trouble to load shells from the 22 hornet to the 45-70 and many more in between."

I believe you've over intrepreted what was said. None of us said the old turret presses can't be used to make ammo, I did for thousands of rounds. But, for my more precise stuff I did learn to lock the turrent down for more rigidity and to insure the top hole aligned with the ram, making it a funny looking single stage! I still use it for handgun ammo. As you note, if you're happy with it across the board that's fine too.

I never felt the "small diameter" ram was of any significance, still don't. All a ram has to do is push a case into a die and then pull it out. A steel ram half it's diameter could do as well even if the wear resistance would be less.