The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 18, 2009, 06:50 PM   #1
jtcreasy

hog hunt

HI, my names Tyler, im from the Augusta aiken area in south carolina. i have a hog hunt next weekend an want to know what the best round for my glock 22 .40 would be. i have box's of 165 gr FMJ an 180 gr JHP. i will be hunting with a 3006 but will have the 40 with me aswell as back up and would like to know what the best choice is. Thanks for any help.
Old September 18, 2009, 06:54 PM   #2
simonkenton

Go with the hollow point.
I shot a couple pigs with a 1911 Colt, with military hardball ammo.
The rounds all exited, I had to shoot each pig 2 or 3 times.

You will get better performance with the hollow point.

PS: Good luck!
I have spent a lot of time in that corner of God's Green Earth. I know you are crawling with pigs. I wish you success on your hunt.
I have killed a half dozen wild hogs with the 30-06, believe me, it speaks their language.
Hit 'em in the lungs and you won't need that pistol, they won't get 70 yards!
Old September 18, 2009, 07:14 PM   #3
comn-cents

Don't use the hollow points. Search this site for stories of hogs blowing off hits with 9mm, 40S&W & 45 acp. I wouldn't use either if I had the choice. I think there is one in here that was hit with 44 mag hollowpoints to no avail.
Old September 18, 2009, 09:52 PM   #4
MLeake

If you want to have it for a coup de grace...

... then a hot FMJ or flat nose behind and below the ear should work.

If you want it as a close in SD weapon, you really should bring a .44mag or .45colt instead.

Cheers,

M
Old September 18, 2009, 10:23 PM   #5
GeauxTide

+1 MLeake

If you have to shoot people, bring the 40.
Old September 21, 2009, 08:11 AM   #6
jtcreasy

Thanks for the help. The 3006 will be the main gun. Pistol for if we stumble on a sow with her piglets. The other guys bringing a 357 mag as well as another 3006. I'm just making sure we have enough gun. 3 guys 4 guns 1 bow. Hopefully we can get a couple an I can get pic up. Geaux tide, roll tide buddy. I'm from muscle shoals area.
Old September 21, 2009, 10:29 AM   #7
rodwhaincamo

Definately not the HPs! 40 S&W is a little short on power. Not to say it can't be done. I read a story of it taking many many shots from a 44 Mag out of a rifle using what I thought were adequate loads (270 Gold Dot SPs). And shot placement was good.
Old September 21, 2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
165 gr FMJ an 180 gr JHP
None of the above but the 165 gr FMJ would be marginally better, you really want 180 gr FMJFP if the 40 is your only option for a handgun. You should be able to get them for less than $18 a box if your dealer carries them. Don't miss with your 30-06 and you won't have to worry about it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 25, 2009, 11:53 AM   #9
jtcreasy

yes the 40 is my only option for a sidearm. i have plans on getting a larger cal. in the future but dont have the extra funds laying around. hopefully by new years i will hopefully have one and a dedicated hog gun. which i will be back for opinion on when that time comes around. thinking of a 458 socom