The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 23, 2009, 12:24 AM   #1
dethrok

Scoring a Small Bore Rifle Target

So I'm working on the Rifle Shooting Merit Badge with my son, and the only thing left to do is figure out how to score the 50 Ft. Small Bore Rifle Target (A-17). My googlefu is not good, or there isn't much out there becuase I came up with nada.

I found several articles on using scoring peg thingies, but nothinng on how you score the actual shots.

Anyone care to enlighten me?
Old September 23, 2009, 06:55 AM   #2
owen

you count up the points. If the bullet breaks a line, it gets the higher score.

At least one of the bulls on the target will have scoring values. If you hit the X ring it counts as a 10 and an X. The X count is used for tie breaking in competition.
Old September 23, 2009, 07:00 AM   #3
Rattlehead

I don't know if the rules have changed, but when I got the merit badge many years ago, I did it at the summer camp the BSA ran. They had people on/off the range all the time, all summer, and scouts were notorious for messing with the the zero, so the rule became that if your shot group could be covered by a quarter, it passed.

JM2C.
Old September 23, 2009, 08:36 AM   #4
Sevens

If you are talking BSA stuff, I'd think the BSA websites or somewhere would give you an official answer, and I sure can't help.

If you are talking NRA smallbore, then there wasn't any "x" in 50-foot 4 position smallbore when I competed 20 years ago.

The little device you stuck in the target to score them really (IMO anyway) actually helped to get a score that you might not see with the naked eye. The way that device works is that it sits in the hole centered on it's own and the clear ring around the center post is a magnifier and it makes it easy to see if you nicked that next ring or not.

If you don't have the scoring device just look at the target -- if you tear, even a bit, the next ring, SCORE IT. If you didn't, you take the lower. Middle is 10, next is 9, etc etc. Center of the target is for sighters only.

But as I said... that was 20 years ago... Most of these things don't change much, but the NRA shooting sports website would detail this quite clearly and much better than I have!
Old September 23, 2009, 09:22 AM   #5
dethrok

Interesting

The weird thing is that the requirements state that, for that target, the boy needs to score 8 on that target. Here are the requirements verbatim:

Adjust sights to center the group on the target and fire five groups (five shots per group). According to the target used, each shot in the group must meet the following minimum score:
A-32 targets -- 9
A-17 or TQ-1 targets -- 8,
A-36 targets -- 6.

To me, that is pretty poor shooting to just score 8 with 5 shots. You could conceibly miss all but 2 shots and hit the outside ring twice for 10 points.

Really?

If that is the case, there must be some terribly low expectations at BSA. ;-)
Old September 23, 2009, 11:19 AM   #6
carpfisher

Adjust sights to center the group on the target and fire five groups (five shots per group). According to the target used, each shot in the group must meet the following minimum score:
A-32 targets -- 9
A-17 or TQ-1 targets -- 8,
A-36 targets -- 6.

I think you have mis-intreperted what is written. "Each shot in the group must score an 8. "
That means all 25 shots must score at least an 8 to qualify.

Last edited by carpfisher; September 23, 2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: speeling/tiping
Old September 23, 2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Rattlehead

That's kinda what I was talking about with the quarter.... the 8-ring was the size of a quarter. If you managed to sight in all 5 shots into that ring, and the zero was off, you'd wind up with a quarter-size group, just somewhere else on the target.

read what you wrote again: each SHOT (not all five) has to score an 8.