The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 17, 2009, 07:04 PM   #26
hardluk1

Anything that has been cut will offer the best browse for the next 3 or 4 years . Typicaly a better choice for the deer to feed on . Ask any biologist. If you want to improve any natural area on your property just have it bushhoged in the spring and the deer will show on it. may be just as many in the wooded areas but you can sure see them easier on the cut over.
Old September 17, 2009, 08:35 PM   #27
Tomas

Thanks for all the replies...way more than I thought I'd get. It's 'high buck season' here in WA, and any blacktail I target must have min. of 3pts on one side, but thanks to ya'll I'm hunting a nice stretch of powerlines tomorrow. Hopefully, the deer gods will bless me...regardless, at least I'm outside huntin'.

Tom
Old September 17, 2009, 08:44 PM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
regardless, at least I'm outside huntin'.
Rule NUMBER ONE!!! Enjoy!
Brent
Old September 18, 2009, 05:58 AM   #29
CajunBass

These two don't seem to mind at all.

Taken from my driveway, down the powerline.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 19, 2009, 06:14 AM   #30
shortwave

Haven`t read all the post(excuse me if I repeat) but my experience is that, in the right set-up, deer love powerlines as there is more browse for them to munch on. A powerline with lots of foreage running through a deep/heavy canopied woods is a great spot to set up. Especially if there`s no open farm fields around and water is also close by. The more open,well sunlit fields with browse the less attractive the powerlines become. One of my all-time fav. spots to bow hunt Ohio`s late pre- rut was just such a spot as described above. I`ve taken several nice bucks from there. Do to health reason`s, I today, can`t make it to the spot. The spots in good hands though as I turned it over to a young man I`ve taken hunting since he was a kid. Thats a sore subject with my son`s.

Last edited by shortwave; September 19, 2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old September 19, 2009, 07:07 AM   #31
TheNatureBoy

Power lines are one of my favorites areas to hunt. We use dogs to hunt dear here in Virginia and if there is a power line any where around the dear will usually cross it during a chase. Same applies to still hunting.
Old September 22, 2009, 06:54 AM   #32
bejay

would agree they do cross powerline clearings often and may even travel down them for awhile if its easier for them to use, but ive never had much luck hunting a powerline mainly due to hunting pressure usually see some but never was able to get a shot as they moved right across the clearing quickly during deer season, I would suggest you atleast think about another strategy as hunting powerlines may not be very effective after the first couple of days of the season if the area is hunted much.
Old September 22, 2009, 05:41 PM   #33
fast-eddie

I have a natural gas line above my parents house serounded by woods. Elk and Blacktail are the most prevalent game in the area. I know to choose my shots wisely on the gas line, would black tail frequent the pipe line do you think?