The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 17, 2009, 03:42 PM   #1
FrontSight

Estate handgun transfer rules for New Jersey to New York?

My wife's grandfather passed away, and he used to be a NYC police officer. Her grandmother would like to pass his old service revolver to me now...

The NYPD handgun division says I am good to go once it gets to my NYC FFL Dealer.

So I called my FFL and he said that he just needs to receive it from a NJ FFL, but he is not sure what she needs to do to legally get it to a NJ FFL.

Does anyone know what the rules are for New Jersey in order for her to do so?

Thanks!
Old September 17, 2009, 04:36 PM   #2
oneounceload

Does NJ not allow inheritance without using the FFL?
Old September 17, 2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Hook686

Grampa lived where ? He died where ? Grama lives where ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old September 17, 2009, 07:14 PM   #4
FrontSight

Quote:
Grampa lived where ? He died where ? Grama lives where ?
They both live(d) in NJ...
Old September 18, 2009, 03:52 AM   #5
Hook686

Has gramma asked a NJ FFL how to transfer a handgun to someone in NY ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old September 18, 2009, 10:57 AM   #6
FrontSight

Quote:
Has gramma asked a NJ FFL how to transfer a handgun to someone in NY ?
No, she is in her 80's and I don't want her to have to do anything at all other than the absolute minimum such as signing a form or something; I want to do all the legwork and research for her and then let her know what I have found out.

Does anyone know a reliable NJ FFL?

Thanks
Old September 20, 2009, 07:58 PM   #7
dajowi

If she is the legal owner why can't you just have her sign her name to a bill of sale making you the new owner. She can sell it to you for $1.00 and then you fill out the state paperwork.
Old September 20, 2009, 09:35 PM   #8
isanchez2008

Might be better off asking in the law & rights area
Old September 20, 2009, 11:14 PM   #9
JerseyDrez

Most Jersey gun shops have their FFL, and any that do will transfer a firearm for you...for a fee of course.

The cheapest Ive seen around my area is $35, which is expensive to others on the west coast who pay $10 for a transfer. It seems like on average in NJ, they range from $35-50.

Not sure where your located but here are a few that I deal with that I would consider dependable:
www.casosguns.com
www.sportsmansrendezvous.com
www.brickarmoryllc.com

www.shoreshotpistolrange.com is right next to Brick Armory. Ive heard negative things about them, but I shot there once to try it out and the employees were pretty nice. Other than that, I cant talk.

Caso's Gun-a-rama is by far one of the most reputable shops in NJ. Theyre customer service is unbelievable, they can [most likely] order anything you need, and Frank (owner) and his daughters (employees) are some of the nicest people youll ever meet at a gun shop. I highly suggest them.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old September 21, 2009, 07:08 AM   #10
longcall911

I'm not a lawyer, but IMO if Grandpa had left it for Granddaughter then no transfer docs would be required. But it seems it is now owned by Grandma. So, Grandma would need to get it to an FFL.

If she's in northern NJ I can recommend: http://www.gunshopfinder.com/bytownresults.asp?ID=4223

The above site allows you to search by town.

/*tom*/
Old September 21, 2009, 12:32 PM   #11
FrontSight

Thanks guys...I called a few NJ FFLs and they are all telling me that Grandma just has to come in with it and a driver's license and they can then ship it to my FFL.

MUCH, MUCH easier than I thought, and a hell of a lot easier than NYC laws for sure!