The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 19, 2009, 10:54 PM   #1
colostomyclown

Can someone help me identify this Enfield?

I'm a rifle novice for sure. I suspect this is an Enfield rifle, sportized in .303 British caliber. But I don't know for sure. I'm hoping you guys can identify it for me and recommend a box mag as the rifle's missing it.
Old September 19, 2009, 11:28 PM   #2
p99guy

well, it is a No4 series rifle..likely a MK1, and judging by the simplified flip apature sight..its likely a Lend Lease Savage or a wartime Canadian Long Branch.

so look on gunbroker or ebay for a enfield No.4 Mk1 magazine
Old September 19, 2009, 11:34 PM   #3
colostomyclown

but definitely .303 correct? i really don't want a barrel failure lol
Old September 20, 2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Tikirocker

It's a No4 Mk1 ... post details of any markings on the receiver and butt socket and I'll tell you what manufacture. The MKII flip battle sight is no guarantee that the rifle is Savage or Longbranch, since many back sights were swapped out during FTR programs and then by civvy owners. The Longbranch was also fitted with the MKIII stamped sights.

Another issue is that Savage and Longbranch made very few No4 Mk1's and the bulk of their manufacture was in the Mk1* - the rifle above is a Mk1 and not a Mk1* so I would venture it far more likely to be a British No4 than North American. Having said all that however, the rifle above has the kick leg safety found on Longbranch rifles, but parts were commonly swapped out and this may not be an original part. So until you can provide details of markings it is up in the air.

The quickest way to find out is tell me the serial numbers ... how many numbers and if you have a C prefix or an L prefix.

Tiki.

Last edited by Tikirocker; September 20, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old September 20, 2009, 02:59 PM   #5
p99guy

yep, its a .303 British.....and cartridge with a grand history in both warfare, and in the hunting fields. Not punishing to shoot either.

Tiki, my answer was based on rifles typically encountered in the american market place (here at least) I have never seen a British made Mk1 with a flip sight, in decades of looking at Enfields at gun shows, buying them myself and having friends buy them.(american shooters prefer the more elaborate sights) And tend to take those flip sights off very quickly,
and would hardly ever put a L flip on to replace the better ones....we hate them in other words)
Yet somehow the long branch and Savage made guns tend to keep thiers, and encountered 50% of the time with the flip.

So here at least its going to be one of the two makers.(99% odds)
Old September 20, 2009, 03:25 PM   #6
Tikirocker

P99,

I hear you mate ... however British rifles can be found with the MKII's and they can end up with anything depending on where they've been and what kind of civvy life they had. Some people keep the better Mk1 Singer when they sell a rifle and replace it with a MKII just for sale.

I see probably more Enfield rifles than most over at Surplus rifle and with people constantly wanting rifle Id's I have learned one thing. With Enfield rifles there's always exceptions to the rule - I try to keep an open mind until the evidence is in.

I'd say if it's going to be North American manufacture at all, it will be Longbranch. But as yet can't say 100% for sure ...

Cheers, Tiki.
Old September 20, 2009, 03:42 PM   #7
dreamweaver

didn't the no4 mk1 and mk1* have a rear volley sight?
i have a longbranch 1943 mk1* with the volley sight. adjusts out to 1300 meters. the left side of the receiver is stamped witht the manufacture info.
also, i was led to believe that mk1* were just mk1 with the mk2 trigger group. (?)
Old September 20, 2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Tikirocker

Dream,

Volley Sight in reference to an Enfield has a very different meaning than the sights you are referring to, these were never found on the No4 rifle. The sights you are talking about are known as the Mk1 Singer, MkII flip battle, MkIII and MKIV Backsight, micrometer or aperture sights - these sights are marked to 1300 yards, not metres. Proper Volley Sights were used on No1 MKIII rifles of WW1 and were a different operation. As I stated before, the No4 rifle can be found with ANY of the MK's of backsights - this is common, normal and not unusual - it should not and cannot be a means of identifying a manufacture or factory make therefore.

Yes the manufacture data is often ( not always ) found on the left side of the receiver face. Some rifles were very poorly marked and only have their serial numbers and scant manufacture letters showing on the left butt socket face. Sometimes the manufacturing data on the receiver is worn away altogether due to wear or from being scrubbed through FTR programs - India is such an instance.

Your observation of the Mk1 vs the Mk1* is not correct ... the main difference between the Mk1 and Mk1* is the simplified bolt release cut out in the bolt way railing of the Mk1*. This cut out was a wartime expediency that eschewed the plunger bolt release of the Mk1. Furthermore the No4 Mk1* was only built by North American manufacturers, Savage and Longbranch.

Neither the No4 Mk1 or Mk1* or any type other than the No4 MkII carried the MkII trigger group, unless they were upgraded through FTR programs to subsequently become the Mk1/3 and Mk1/2. The Mk1/2 and Mk1/3 were Mk1 and Mk1* rifles that were upgraded to the MKII trigger group.

For solid information on Enfields, visit the forums in my sig.
Best, Tiki.

Last edited by Tikirocker; September 20, 2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old September 20, 2009, 04:08 PM   #9
dreamweaver

thanks tiki!
i guess mine is a real bubba project!
but it sure shoots good!
Old September 20, 2009, 04:22 PM   #10
Tikirocker

Dream,

If you want help restoring your rifle back to milspec it would not be hard - given it's not cut or drilled. Feel free to join us at surplus if you have any questions or need help in future.

Tiki.