The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 18, 2009, 09:21 AM   #51
Rangefinder

Quote:
That brings up a point that has been percolating on the back burner.
How much shooting from field expedient positions do y'all do? I ask because, thinking about the range that I use in PA, I rarely see anyone shooting from any position off the bench.
Honestly, I can't even tell you when the last time was that I fired from a bench. Even at membership ranges, I hit the dirt because of how I see "shooting capability" defined. It bugs the hell out of me to hear someone claiming to be a shooter when they lock their rifle down in a bench vice, turn a few knobs, and then get excited when tight groups happen--that's not really skilled shooting in my book unless they can pick the darn thing out of the vice, shoulder it, and produce similar grouping. I'll flop down in the dirt, lay across a berm or my day-pack, sling-support, whatever. But I shoot the same whether I'm killing paper or game.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old September 18, 2009, 09:54 AM   #52
koolminx

I'd LOVE to go shooting with you. That's exactly the way I do it, but 80% of my shots are standing, because that's naturally the hardest position to shoot from, and I do OK for a beginner

I use a bench and bag to zero a new piece, but that's about all.
Old September 18, 2009, 11:33 AM   #53
srt 10 jimbo

If I'm Hunting something that can Hunt you in return....I make sure them groups are alot tighter.