The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 9, 2009, 06:30 AM   #51
2damnold4this

Good looking pigs
Old September 9, 2009, 09:48 AM   #52
thallub

Be wary of approaching any hog that appears to be dead. Over the past ten years I have seen several apparently dead hogs suddenly come to life and go after hunters, including myself.

Sometimes when a hog is wounded it will just lie there. Eventually it will die unless it hears a human voice or someone approaches the animal. A friend got a lot of stitches last month when a wounded sow jumped up and nailed him. For going into thickets after wounded hogs I wear chainsaw pants: No hog will get through that kevlar.
Old September 9, 2009, 12:29 PM   #53
ZeroJunk

When I was younger we and most of my neighbors had hogs and we would get together and kill them on some cold days. I have killed dozens with a 22 LR between the eyes. There is a spot about the size of a quarter that you need to hit. If it's off by much more than that it's ineffective. If a hog was chasing me I doubt I could hit him at all, much less a quarter size target.
Old September 10, 2009, 01:35 PM   #54
tex45acp

All this information holds true for predatory animals, such as Bobcats, as well. I shot one with a .308 and literally blew out both front shoulders. Twenty minutes later I walked within 20' of the non-moving animal covered with blood. I felt a little uneasy about getting any closer before being sure, so I picked up a 2" diameter Pecan tree limb about 3' long and tossed it onto the animals body. The Tasmanian Devil comes to mind here....this supposedly dead Bobcat, literally with it's rear claws and mouth, chewed all the bark off the limb, and the rest looked liked it had been run over by a tractor/shredder. I put a round from my 41mag through what was left of the chest and that took care of the animal.
I have been a hunter for over 40 years and was always taught not to walk up on a wounded/dead animal without first verifying it had expired. The Bobcat really drove that home for me. I have hunted hogs, that even with a clean "kill" shot and after over an hour of time, was still a viable threat to the hunter. Ever been chased up a tree by a "kill shot" Russian Boar.....I have!! He died at the base of that tree!!!

tex