The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 23, 2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Tomh

C+R license dumb questions.

I have been considering getting a c+r license for awhile, but when looking on the internet, it all seems like a big sales pitch. What is the best way to go about getting one, and can someone who just wants to buy stuff, with no intention of being a dealer, get one?
Old August 23, 2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Hkmp5sd

A C&R license is not for dealing. It is for collecting. It allows you to purchase Curio and Relic firearms (generally either considered collectible or over 50 years old) and have that firearm shipped to your home. You cannot buy modern weapons with it.

To get one, go to the forms page of ATF's website and request the forms be sent you you.

http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

I believe you need "F 5310.16 (F7CR)" (FFL Application), "F 5330.20" (Citizenship) and "FBI FD-258FA" (fingerprints).

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Hkmp5sd; August 23, 2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old August 23, 2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Tomh

thank you HKMp.
Old August 23, 2009, 05:03 PM   #4
BobbyT

Got mine a couple weeks ago. It has to be the original forms they send; sending in that wonderful PDF someone on CalGuns made unfortunately will not work.

The only form you need is F 5310.16 (F7CR) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms, no others.
Old August 23, 2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

I stand corrected on the forms needed. It's been a few years (25) since I originally applied for mine.

NRA Life Member
Old August 23, 2009, 06:42 PM   #6
finfanatic

C & R Mailings

The nice thing about the C& R License....you send a copy to the C&R gun stores
and you are on their mailing lists.
Old August 23, 2009, 08:29 PM   #7
Tomh

and this means I can purchase off the web? What about when I buy from a local gun shop? do I still fill out paperwork for every gun I buy?
Old August 23, 2009, 09:18 PM   #8
Natertot84

At the local shop, you still need to fill out paperwork for non C&R guns. Depending on your state tax laws, it will defer sales tax on the C&R guns because it is considered a transfer instead of a purchase. This means you can get a little bit of ammo added for the same price of not having C&R.
Old August 23, 2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Natertot84

I should add that if you are able, pay an extra 250 for a full ffl. this will pay for itslef quickly as you can buy guns straight from the manufacture and save a ton from cutting out the dealers. The purchase of my first two guns after obtaining my ffl payed for my upgrade.
Old August 23, 2009, 09:45 PM   #10
tater134

Quote:
I should add that if you are able, pay an extra 250 for a full ffl. this will pay for itslef quickly as you can buy guns straight from the manufacture and save a ton from cutting out the dealers. The purchase of my first two guns after obtaining my ffl payed for my upgrade.
I was under the impression that you needed to have a storefront to obtain an 01FFL is this true?
Old August 23, 2009, 10:34 PM   #11
dogtown tom

Quote:
tater134 I was under the impression that you needed to have a storefront to obtain an 01FFL is this true?
Internet myth.

Having a storefront is not, and never has been an ATF requirement.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 24, 2009, 05:19 AM   #12
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
Having a storefront is not, and never has been an ATF requirement.
No, but having to actually engage in selling firearms in not a myth. Getting an 01-FFL just to buy guns withouth having to use a dealer will get you charged with tax evasion and perjury. This is what is sounds like Natertot84 is doing. He never mentions having to operate an actual business.

NRA Life Member