The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 5, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1
(BH)

Micro Eagle vs. NAA Guardian

ok i really want a BUG/mouse gun and im having alot of trouble deciding between these. iv always wanted a micro eagle but i also like the guardian. everyone seems to like the guardians and seecamps. plus they are a bit cheaper than the M.E.

i know some people will strongly disagree but i love the look of the micro eagle. i was hoping to hear from someone who owns/has owned/has shot one of these. the reviews iv read on it are good and im sure they are unbiased and trustworthy....haha.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Dallas13

I recently purchased a MDE. With the limited availability of .380 I only have 120 rounds through it. Felt recoil was much less than what I anticipated. Very accurate at 7 yards. I did call Magnum Research to recommend they cut slide serrations in the top of the slide between the rear sights to deflect glare when shooting outdoors. John at Magnum Research said they will definitely consider this option in the future. Currently, they are unable to perform this request in-house. Robar is going to do this for me but the wait time is roughly 8 weeks.

The size is exactly what I was looking for in a pocket pistol. Completely disappears in front pocket. Ideal for warm weather use. I preferred the size, weight, composition and design of the MDE to the wide array of .380's on the market or on the way.

Old May 5, 2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Fred1978

I recently purchased a NAA Guardian .32acp and it jams regularly and won't light off CCI primers. Overall I am pretty dissapointed plus finding .32 ammo right now is a real chore. I will stick with my ugly P3AT for now. Also the trigger on the NAA sucks pretty bad. It looks real pretty but that won't protect me; just my 2 cents.
Old May 5, 2009, 05:39 PM   #4
LanceOregon

The NAA 5 shot rimfire mini-revolvers are a much more compact carry solution. They can even be effectively concealed in your crotch:

Old May 5, 2009, 05:40 PM   #5
David the Gnome

Lance, what holster is that? Looks like the perfect pocket carry solution.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Glockeroo

I do want a micro pistol for really hot days. I like the Seacamps and NAA Guardians.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:45 PM   #7
mrt949

SEECAMP only way to go.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:50 PM   #8
passintime

I really, really enjoy the micro desert eagle. It has surpassed my expectations.

Perfect size, I'm not much of a polymer fan, great finish, the machining is fantastic. Recoil wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

"You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations — these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit — immortal horrors or everlasting splendors." ~~~CS Lewis
Old May 5, 2009, 10:05 PM   #9
(BH)

well so far this thread is really confirming my desires for the Micro Eagle. i mean the guardian looks cool and some folks swear by them, but if im gonna go down that road i really would like a seecamp and i know theres a bit of a wait for those.
Old May 6, 2009, 04:46 AM   #10
imthegrumpyone

Micro Eagle, hands down finally had one in my hands over the week end, NICE that's all I can say.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:20 AM   #11
hhb

Bersa

I've owned 3 Bersa .380's, and had problems with each. When you go on the Bersa forum, the warranty gunsmith says that the Bersa .380 should at least have 1000 rounds fired before it is considered reliable. The cost of the 1K ammo exceeds the cost of the pistol. I could walk into a gunshop, and find a 35 year old S&W Chief's Special .38Sp, and it's good to go if it passes my examination in the store.
Old May 6, 2009, 04:25 PM   #12
GeekWithAGun

My sister owns a Micro Eagle, and I've had the chance to shoot it a bit. I would like to get one myself, I really like it. Two things though. The first isn't that big of a deal, but the trigger is VERY long, and VERY heavy. It is, however, as smooth as butter; consistently heavy through the whole pull, with a clean break at the end and very little over-travel. Secondly, the two guns you listed are, in my opinion, worlds apart as far as size/weight (if only PBP had a comparison pic of his that I could post). I consider the ME too large/thick for pocket carry, the only thing I think it has going for it as far as pocket carry goes, is that it is almost a rectangular shape, so it doesn't print as some kind of weird triangle shaped "thing" in your pocket. So there you go, my $.02.
Old May 6, 2009, 06:35 PM   #13
mrt949

B h .try before you by .a seecamp 380 .is not a joy to shoot .posted by some owners . I have a seecamp in 32.it is my edc.it works for me.

Last edited by mrt949; May 7, 2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old May 6, 2009, 07:54 PM   #14
benzuncle

I own a NAA Guardian 380, carry it in a DeSantis Nemesis and load it with 102gr Remington Golden Sabers. I carry it whenever I cannot carry a 45 or 357Sig. The pull is long and hard but consistent. It eases some after 500 rounds. I have over 1500 rounds through mine. I could care less about the weight; I don't plan on climbing Mt. Everest. Very nice fit and finish, all stainless construction, easy to strip and clean and accurate at 7yds. Feeds those Golden Sabers with never an FTF or FTE. Works for me. Would have purchased a Seecamp but for several issues: I do not care for the European mag release, I've read more than once that they are picky about ammo, and I'm not getting any younger and didn't feel like waiting that long for a 380 caliber firearm. I have owned my NAA 380 for almost 2 years and am content with it. I reload the Golden Sabers and am stocked up. BH, good luck with your research and decision. I'm sure you'll be pleased with your purchase. But if in doubt, buy them all!

Old May 6, 2009, 10:20 PM   #15
Jay1958

I have an NAA Guardian 380 and I am pleased with it. Very accurate at close range, ideally around seven yards (21 ft) or less - it is a close range weapon. I wouldn't want to try to hit any critical targets out beyond about 10-12 yards, though - but that is probably more my limitations as a shooter than the inherent accuracy of the NAA.

I have noticed that it likes some ammo better than others. It likes Hornady XTP, Winchester Ranger HP and Magtech FMJ. The only thing I've found that doesn't work very well is PMC FMJ... tends to have problems with ejection with those.

Yes, it's a little heavier than most pocket guns but it doesn't bother me. Conceals well in my Desantis Nemesis or my Blackhawk pocket holster - not really much difference between the two that I can tell...

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old August 8, 2009, 09:53 PM   #16
Hyperjoe

I purchased this gun about a week ago as an ONLY CCW gun that I would own. I had to have a gun that I would cary and remember that it was on me and that had no extra stuff on it. I wanted a Double Action pistol.

I shot 2 boxes of cheap .380 ACP through it. (NO MISS FEEDS OR JAMS) Now, I have not shot a gun in over 8+ years so my aim is way OFF as well as never shooting these kind of small guns. To better qualify myself, I have owned HK USP, Beretta, AR15 and S&W 40 and a pretty good marksman. I had sold all my guns years ago. I needed money for investments which today I am proud to say made me 10 fold the investment.

Anyways...the review.

The gun will get away from you without a pinky lip. I am hoping that someone designs a better mag, even if it is short, add a lip to it so that the gun does not ride up.

The gun fires like a dream for its size. I would say it shot similar to my Beretta 32 with flip tip.

The gun has weight. Now, before those complainers start with their "it has to be light" crap, please consider what you are carrying now! I see the most illogical nonsensical arguments on this forum having to do with a proper CCW and weight. The bottom line is, if the gun works for you, it does not matter what weight it is.

The DE Micro is solid and I know I have it on me! The gun's extra few ounces adds to overall shooting stability/ability. Its not that heavy!!'

For a CCW, I prefer a heavy trigger for various reasons and it aids in proper grip of the weapon. This was not even a concern as other have made it.

The outcome:

At 15 yards, I had shot 50 rounds and had 42 in the kill zone/chest area (aimed for heart center). The other 8 were either not accounted for or outside of the human torso area.

I then tried 25 rounds at 15ft. All were in within the center heart/ chest area no more than 6″ apart in which I had aimed for. Oops, there goes a ventricle!

The last 25 rounds were shot at 75 ft. I had only 7 in the kil/torso zone. so about 25% at 75ft. Its not even broken in yet! LOL.

The Micro DE is a reliable gun and with time, improve on accuracy as any new gun. THIS IS NOT THE GUN FOR ACROSS THE PARKING LOT SHOOTING!! It is for quick take down at close proximity for assailant as in most crimes.

When I got home, I dug out my old ammo box with cleaning patches and oil. I cleaned the unit. It was simple to clean and went back together perfectly. The gun is prime quality and is a SOLID once piece frame. Pretty impressive and I think the only gun on the market like it.

I am ordering wood grips for it. I want to also mention that after shooting the 100 rounds, I had noticed that the one side of the grip had loosened just a tad and I had to use an alan wench to tighten back up. This can be expected considering the force placed on such a small frame. I am using lock-tight when I get the wood handles.

Overall, a wonderful experience today at the range and a great gun that I hope to never use!!

Last edited by Johnny Guest; August 9, 2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: remove crude language
Old August 8, 2009, 10:40 PM   #17
SouthpawShootr

Quote:
SEECAMP only way to go.
Yeah, maybe. But there's another thread on this board stating that Seecamp .380 has a 2 year backorder and they are not accepting any new orders right now. One of the factors they cited, apparently, was difficulty in obtaining test fire ammunition. Don't know about the ammo part, but at least 2 people verified the no new orders part.

So it appears that KT 3AT, Ruger LCP, NAA Guardian, and MDE are the only games in town right now when you're talking ultra-small .380 autos. Guardian production is not where it should be. Kahr used to make their frames and has since dissolved that relationship. They had to find a new subcontractor for the frames (slides were made in house IIRC). So, for a while, .380 Guardian production ceased (I want to say it was at least a year, but I don't have access to production information).

I have a .380 Guardian (bought many years ago) and I like it very well. First rate quality. I've fondled the MDE and it seems bulkier than the Guardian, but it still offers excellent concealment.

There is a guy over on Glocktalk, goes by the handle M2 Carbine, who got an MDE and shot it quite a bit. The front of the slide cracked. He even showed pictures. His research revealed that some of these guns got out of the factory with substandard slides. Magnum Research took care of him, so it's just an issue of annoyance. So, if you've got one, you'd be well advised to shot it a few hundred rounds and see if you develop a problem (you should anyway).

Honestly, reading so much about the MDE makes me want one. I don't know why. I have my Guardian. I also have a KT 3AT (which it ok, but does not have the build quality of the Guardian).
Old August 8, 2009, 11:02 PM   #18
David the Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawShootr
Yeah, maybe. But there's another thread on this board stating that Seecamp .380 has a 2 year backorder and they are not accepting any new orders right now. One of the factors they cited, apparently, was difficulty in obtaining test fire ammunition. Don't know about the ammo part, but at least 2 people verified the no new orders part.
At the time this post was originally authored (before it was resurrected) there was no 2-year backorder on Seacamps.
Old August 8, 2009, 11:44 PM   #19
Shadi Khalil

The NAA is heavy in frame and in trigger but is extremly well made. The micro DE had one of the worst triggers I've ever pulled on a gun.
Old August 8, 2009, 11:51 PM   #20
Playboypenguin

I have fired exactly two rounds through a Micro Eagle...therefore I officially declare myself an "internet expert" on this pistol. I say pass on it. I just did not like the finish, the feel, or the mechanics of the gun. I have never found any gun from this manufacturer that wasn't purely gimmicky.

The NAA Guardian I had was a very nice gun. The trigger is not the best in the world nd it is a bit heavy compared to smaller .380's but it was still nice.
Old August 9, 2009, 08:17 AM   #21
SouthpawShootr

Quote:
At the time this post was originally authored (before it was resurrected) there was no 2-year backorder on Seacamps.
Fascinating what 3 months can do, isn't it.

Resurrected? 3 months is just a brief hiatus on this board. I didn't make note of the original date stamp.
Old August 9, 2009, 08:28 AM   #22
critter44

I bought a used NAA guardian in .32 acp. Very accurate (for what it is), easy to conceal and carry ANYWHERE, etc.

Mine, however, would drop the mag and not feed. Back to NAA. They did over $200 worth of part replacement and returned it to me AT NO CHARGE WHATSOEVER.

It is now perfect in every way and is, I feel, a really great 'mousegun' for the role it fills.