The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 2, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Mosin44az

CZ 82 Safety?

I have owned a CZ 82 for a few months now, and am very pleased with it. It's very accurate and has been 100% reliable, and Makarov ammo has been available even when other calibers have not.

My question is what is safe carry. It appears to be designed for cocked-and-locked carry, although it also allows you to manually de-cock for a double action first pull. While there appears to be a block that keeps the hammer off the firing pin, you can't apply the thumb safety when the hammer is lowered.

Is the CZ 82 drop-safe when carried with the hammer down?
Old August 2, 2009, 09:19 PM   #2
mavracer

Quote:
My question is what is safe carry. It appears to be designed for cocked-and-locked carry, although it also allows you to manually de-cock for a double action first pull.
either way is pretty safe it does have a hammer block unless the trigger is pulled?
Quote:
Is the CZ 82 drop-safe when carried with the hammer down?
Not sure if it passes California tests,But it passes mine of course I'm not in the habit of dropping loaded guns
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 2, 2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Chesster

Don't know about CA but it appears safe for other states.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old August 2, 2009, 11:12 PM   #4
christcorp

With the hammer down; it is blocked from hitting the firing pin. It can't even hit the firing pin unless the hammer is brought all the way back again and released. Either double action or single action. But with it already down, there's no way the hammer is going to strike the firing pin. I guess if you manually slammed the hammer with a sledgehammer it might hit the firing pin. But other than that, it's not going to happen. I carry mine with hammer down without any concerns.
Old August 2, 2009, 11:40 PM   #5
raftman

I've been wondering the same thing. I don't carry my CZ-82, but may start doing so in the winter and have wondered as to the best way to do so.
Old August 3, 2009, 09:55 AM   #6
DBAR

Quote:
I've been wondering the same thing. I don't carry my CZ-82, but may start doing so in the winter and have wondered as to the best way to do so.

I keep mine loaded in the house at all times with the hammer down. I prefer cocked and locked when I carry, but not so much with this handgun. When I do carry it, I'm usually on the way out the door, and it was just handy for me to pick up. So when I do carry it, it usually has the hammer down. You said your thinking about carrying it in the winter. I prefer more powerful rounds for winter carry. I usually limit myself to .45's, and I sometimes carry my CZ Tork, or my .357. In the winter, I want better penetration.
Old August 3, 2009, 10:57 AM   #7
raftman

Winters here aren't particularly harsh, at least not in the part of the state I live in. Very rarely does it snow. There are very few days of the year on which a sweater isn't all you need to stay warm, so I don't worry too much about penetration on that account. The CZ-82 just seems more acceptable for winter carry because adding that extra layer would make it that much easier to conceal effectively.

Of course, I certainly would carry something in a beefier caliber if I could get a gun with the same ammo capacity, and in a package that's the same size and weight or better, but crucially, at the a price that isn't significantly higher.
Old August 3, 2009, 11:16 AM   #8
DBAR

Quote:
Of course, I certainly would carry something in a beefier caliber if I could get a gun with the same ammo capacity, and in a package that's the same size and weight or better, but crucially, at the a price that isn't significantly higher.
The American Dream....
Old August 4, 2009, 01:58 AM   #9
Mosin44az

Thanks for the replies.

It would be nice to have a modern firing pin block like CZ added to the 75, but there is a block when the hammer is lowered, it's definitely off the firing pin and can't be pushed on to it. I suppose a heavy blow to the hammer MIGHT break through. In a way, the long grip tang acts as a bumper, reducing the possibility of contact in a drop.

The Czechs are pretty smart, I can't believe they would design a pistol to allow DA carry if it was dangerous, even back in the Communist era.

I too am not in the habit of dropping guns, but it has happened, maybe 3 times in 15 years, thankfully always without incident except for a slightly marred finish on my old Taurus M85, and no apparent damage to my P95. I suppose I can always carry the CZ single action with the safety on as well....