The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Would you prefer a Hi-point that is proven or a glock that is not?
Proven Hi-point 30 27.27%
Unproven glock 80 72.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 23, 2009, 11:55 AM   #51
Eskimo

There is absolutely nothing wrong with hi-point.

Anyone that says they have significant manufacturing flaws have no idea what they're talking about, end of story.
Old July 23, 2009, 11:59 AM   #52
johnwilliamson062

design flaws, not MFG flaws, and per my requirements. Have you ever fired 200 rounds out of one in a day? Will kill your hand, even the 9mm b/c all the weight is super high on the pistol, it snaps back like a rubber band on every shot.
Old July 23, 2009, 12:05 PM   #53
Eskimo

How many people have fired 200+ with a pistol in a firefight? I don't think someone that's in danger of being shot is going to be saying "ow my hand hurts".
Old July 23, 2009, 12:06 PM   #54
Steve1911

John,

Quote:
design flaws, not MFG flaws, and per my requirements. Have you ever fired 200 rounds out of one in a day? Will kill your hand, even the 9mm b/c all the weight is super high on the pistol, it snaps back like a rubber band on every shot.
I have shot... probably closer to 500 rounds in one day...

My hand didn't hurt after that... but I shoot alot. And I mean A LOT...

Maybe you got the one with the rubber band for the recoil spring...
Old July 23, 2009, 12:45 PM   #55
Nisei

Eskimo, my uncle fired 205 rounds in a firefight in Vietnam (just yanking your chain, don't mean to offend you)

To all,

Hypothetical questions have always confused and aggravated people here. I noticed many have said things like "I wouldn't own a Glock" or "I wouldn't own a Hi-Point." Remember this is a hypothetical question.

Those of you with an imagination and those concerned about worst case scenarios, ask yourself this: Which weapon would you pick if you were in a situation where you needed to open fire on a tango and your normal carry weapon isn't available. Maybe you had a hard day or a fight with the Mrs. and you forgot your weapon at your home, went to a friends house, and there's trouble. But all he has is a Glock and a Hi-Point! What do you do now?

Those of you who answer this question with "I never forget. I don't go anywhere without carrying." or "I would never be put in this situation" do not belong on this thread, this thread is a question and this question does not apply to you.

Even so, Steve1911's question is about proven or un-proven. I personally don't like that, since all known-brand named weapons are proven or else they wouldn't be on the market waiting to be purchased. I think it could be worded differently

Look at this way, In the above hypothetical scenario that you are without your normal carry weapon, your friend has two weapons in his house. One weapon is a weapon you know works well but you HATE its design. The other weapon is a weapon that looks like a weapon you know well and love BUT it is from a weapons manufacturer you never heard of ever in your life and not sure if the internal design is the same or not. Now which one do you choose? Something you know you hate, but is proven to work? Or something that feels familiar, but unproven if it works because you've never heard of it or ever read a review?

Let's try and answer that question instead now. Hi-Points and Glocks are both good weapons and each have their own merits. Don't bash either of them here.

- Hiroshi
Old July 23, 2009, 01:45 PM   #56
dgludwig

Quote:
i voted unproven glock, since they are proven.
No individual pistol is "proven" until they've been shot. And shot more than a few times.
Old July 23, 2009, 02:18 PM   #57
cracked91

Going into a firefight with only hi point or Glock? Depending on the situation Im probably going to die anyway. I have a Hi point C9. It cycles rounds flawlessly. I trust it in the aspect that if the magazines in it will cycle every round. But theres the problem. The magazine release is EXTREMELY touchy. Leaning the wrong way on it when its holstered will cause it to pop loose. A few times I have been shooting it and the mag falls out onto the ground. Mine didn't start this way but got that way after about 1500 rounds through it. In all honesty I would probably take the glock. If, however I had never heard of glocks, Like Nisea said, I would take the hi point in a heartbeat
Old July 23, 2009, 02:32 PM   #58
w_houle

I still stand by my answer. I think the whole thing is absurd:
Yeah, well at least my slide is steel.
Yeah, but at least mine doesn't kaboom!
Yeah, but mine will shoot MOA.
Yeah, but at least mine will shoot lead.
Old July 23, 2009, 02:44 PM   #59
Microgunner

Ha, a loaded question written to evoke a war, or continue one. I'd take an unproven Glock over the finest gold plated, pearl gripped, hand fitted, fully engraved, laser sighted, extended magazine, deluxe, special edition Hi-Point, even if the Hi-Point gave me an orgasm everytime I tried to fire it.
Old July 23, 2009, 02:49 PM   #60
priler

i REALLY have never liked hi-points,but i'm not going to be snobbish about it.i think i understand the question and my answer is.....the hi-point.

are you kidding me? you're talking about something that you've already PROVEN reliable and at this point(no pun intended),your probably accurate with it.

what ever you may think of glocks,of the one in front of you,you simply have no clue.

ever heard of murphys law?....shoot murphy with the one you're absolutely sure actually works.
Old July 23, 2009, 03:35 PM   #61
roman3

Quote:
Let's try and answer that question instead now. Hi-Points and Glocks are both good weapons and each have their own merits. Don't bash either of them here.
While the posters have an opinion we are just the talking heads, however, look at the vote count and its clear what the majority thinks.
Old July 23, 2009, 03:42 PM   #62
magnum force

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1911
Mag force,

You didn't answer my question....

I asked if you have ever owned one or shot one...?
yep, fired one-jamming piece of crap that was also quite inaccurate. feels and looks very cheap too. :barf:

that answer your question? lol
Old July 23, 2009, 03:44 PM   #63
dgludwig

Quote:
and its clear what the majority thinks.
The majority of lemmings jump off cliffs...
Old July 23, 2009, 03:48 PM   #64
roman3

Quote:
The majority of lemmings jump off cliffs...
Irrelevent...the people have spoken. And lemmings don't vote
Old July 23, 2009, 04:00 PM   #65
magnum force

anyone that would pick a hi point over a glock needs to put down the crack pipe!

those are some cheap ass guns for gang members to shoot someone with and ditch the gun before the cops catch up to them
Old July 23, 2009, 04:02 PM   #66
Steve1911

I probably should have not put in the names. But then thought I should, to see if people would over ride their common sense and choose a weapon they had not proven, just because of the name on the slide, and what is popular.

It goes to show more people want to be right on which gun manuf. is "better" rather than use a proven hipoint.
Old July 23, 2009, 04:04 PM   #67
Steve1911

Mag force,

Quote:
yep, fired one-jamming piece of crap that was also quite inaccurate. feels and looks very cheap too. those are some cheap ass guns for gang members to shoot someone with and ditch the gun before the cops catch up to them
So are you a gangbanger?
Old July 23, 2009, 04:17 PM   #68
wezalsgunsupply

Hi points are not crap

To many people snub Hi Points. Sure they are ugly, feel like crap. BUT. They are functional. They are average accuraccy. But reliable. Life time warrenty. I have probably sold 75 over the last year and sent ONE back. A 40 s&w. Sure they are cheap I sell the 9s for $135 buck OTD. But they work. Even the average joe can come up with that. And like a Glock is pretty? They have a fat grip that isn't comfy to a lot of people. No prob here with the Hi Point.
Old July 23, 2009, 04:33 PM   #69
roman3

Quote:
to see if people would over ride their common sense
Quote:
To see if people abandon reason for a brand name.
I'm not sure but it seems you are dissing the voting public (kind of like what liberals do when they lose elections) and are assuming that they (the 70% majority) did not choose the unproven Glock using common sense or reason. I am sure most did "in their view" come to the vote using reason and common sense. I know I did.
Old July 23, 2009, 04:44 PM   #70
Microgunner

Quote:
I have probably sold 75 over the last year and sent ONE back.
We sell them too......excuse me......I just threw up a little in my mouth, but I think I might choose a pointy stick over one.
Old July 23, 2009, 04:47 PM   #71
ReNtaPiG

I voted for Glock for obvious reasons!!!

I'm just curious to know where the "Unproven" description stems from??? what study is that based on or is that just "opinion"?

I'm not trying to be hostile or trying to say one is better then the other because that's all relative.

I wear a Glock daily on my duty belt along with MANY MANY other Security and Law Enforcement Officers and as far as we are concerned Glock is ABSOLUTELY proven itself for reliability. Granted I have never had to use my weapon in the line of duty and most will tell you they wish they never have to...but if it came down to it I would be VERY confident with a Glock.

I've placed way over 1000 rounds down range and NEVER had a FTF or FTE...yup I said never

I have shot a Hi-Point and don't like anything about it...didn't have a FTE or FTF either but I only put 50 rounds through it and it was a rental so who knows how many rounds were put through it.
Old July 23, 2009, 04:52 PM   #72
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I really can't believe how high strung people get over brand loyalty, any brand.

Chevy, Ford, Toyota, John Deere, Peterbilt, Mack, Glock, Hi-Point, Remington, Savage, Apple, Microsoft.....

Here's an idea. Use what YOU like and stop giving a crap about what other people like. How does it affect you in any way?
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old July 23, 2009, 05:01 PM   #73
w_houle

Barring a catastrophic failure, what's the worse thing that can happen? Glock carries more rounds, and seriously: Have you ever met a Glock that didn't run(reloads don't count on this question)? If it was one of those torture tested Glocks that were run through the bowels of HELL that still had the mud, sludge, and rust on it vs a new Hi Point. Well that isn't the scenario though. But still it boils down to round count and being able to efectively handle misfires if they occur. Now if the Hi Point was the double stack and the Glock was a single stack then I would definantly go with the Hi Point
Or maybe you should give your less well-to-do friends sweetheart deals on something better
Old July 23, 2009, 06:14 PM   #74
Mal H
Staff

Enough, already!
Closed Thread