The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 7, 2009, 11:30 AM   #26
NightSight

I don't that the link that I dropped got much attention. Maybe pictures will work better. There are two ways for these safes to work. You can order them with a standard key lock or you can order them with a three digit mechanical tumbler.

The idea would be to remove your weapon from the safe when you got in your truck and put it into your favorite car holster i.e. Kingston holster or FAST holster. Once you reach your destination, you could replace the weapon into the safe.

IMO, a dedicated vehicle gun does not replace a carry weapon; however, if you carry iwb strong side hip, you may have trouble accessing your carry weapon in a hurry. A safe place to secure your dedicated vehicle gun is a must.

This is a picture of the Kingston by DeSantis.

Old July 7, 2009, 12:38 PM   #27
ThunderStorm

I use one of the 4 button electronic small safes with a spring loaded door and a cable to secure the safe itself. I do like the one that is made to look like a safety kit, that is a good idea but is it bolted down?
Old July 7, 2009, 01:22 PM   #28
ZeSpectre

Quote:
I do like the one that is made to look like a safety kit, that is a good idea but is it bolted down?
Yes, that one is mounted. It "appears" to simply be in the slot the factory made for a first aid kit but in reality I drilled holes in the back and mounted it to the vehicle.
Old July 7, 2009, 07:49 PM   #29
Semper Paratus

I use a high security bicycle lock aeound the sear framr through the magf well on an auto then slide it back under the seat. Eventually they can get it but it buys some time.
Old July 7, 2009, 08:24 PM   #30
surg_res

Many good options. I like the nice built-ins posted by NightSight, perhaps they'll update designs to include 2009 model trucks soon.

Unfortunately, I can't always carry a firearm because I work in a hospital and frequent my kids' schools, etc. Ideally, I would carry more often, but I don't because I hate the feeling of leaving a loaded firearm in a parked car for 12-16 hours per day. Also, I have secured, quick access weapons in the house, which I'd also like to have in my vehicle without having to carry back and forth in my daily routine.

Previously, I would toss my 357 in the magazine pocket behind the passenger seat. Ideally, I'd like a very thin-profile top loading box, electronically activated, which could be mounted behind the passenger seat, or in the driver's door. Most of the boxes I've seen are on the bulky side, and would be easily noticed by passengers, etc.

The integrated console safe would be ideal if it could be accessed flawlessly in less than 3-4 seconds. My home safes pop open in 2-3 seconds with my gun drawn and aimed in <5 seconds.

To me, the most vulnerable time in a vehicle is when parking, entering and exiting your vehicle. But more convienient would be the ability to choose exactly when and where you conceal your weapon, versus safely leaving it in your vehicle.

I like the first aide kit idea a lot, and might paint one of my current digital lock boxes and then bolt it to either the floor or back of a seat in my truck. I love the combination of rapid-access security and psychology in that concept. My current boxes can fit 2 guns in width; however this makes them a bit fat--I'll have to look for one that is a thinner profile.
Old July 7, 2009, 08:25 PM   #31
DiscoRacing

guess im trusting.... mine stay between the two front seats in the holsters...nothing more.
Old July 9, 2009, 12:17 AM   #32
spikespeigel

Quote:
Wow, that sure hasn't been my experience. The three vehicle break-in/thefts I've experienced were all army bases!
Marine Corps Air Station New River... Never have locked my gun up in the truck