The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 6, 2009, 03:18 PM   #1
mwlu711

goldeneagle 7000

does any one own a golden eagle 7000 or know any thing about them?where are they made what calibers do they offer how do the shoot?do the have a web site?
Old July 6, 2009, 09:26 PM   #2
2rugers

If I recall correctly that rifle was made in Japan. High quality piece though, comparabe to the Weatherby.
I believe they are no longer made.
Old July 7, 2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Scorch

Nikko Golden Eagle rifles were sold from the late 1970s up until mid-1980s/early 1990s IIRC. They were finished in a high-gloss blue, the stock is checkered European walnut with a high-gloss poly finish. They looked a lot like Weatherby rifles (similar stock shape, contrasting forend/pistol grip caps and skip-line checkering), which leads me to believe they were trying to capture some of the status market by offering a rifle that looked a lot like a Weatherby at a significantly lower price. They were a fairly well-made rifle, but the rear-locking action and pencil-thin barrel did nothing for their accuracy reputations.
Taylor Machine
Old July 8, 2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Gootch

Golden Eagle

The Golden Eagle was manufactured by Nikko Limited of Tochigi, Japan. They manufactured both shotguns and rifles and made some of the Japan - Winchesters.

As for the rifles...... they made the Model 7000 Grade 1 which is a Mauser bolt action rifle chambered for most (if not all) of our most popular rifle calibers. They are available with a 24" or 26" barrel, walnut stock, rosewood pistol grip cap and forend tip.

Just for reference, they also made the Model 7000 African which is the same as the above but only in .375 and .458 Mag. calibers with open sights.

Also mfg. was the Model 7000 Grade 2 which is the same as the above expect with engraving.

There is a Golden Eagle Collectors Association somewhere in the USA. I believe that Nikko actually tried to copy a rifle made by Schultz and Larsen, model M68, made some minor changes to prevent litigation and attempted to capture a portion of the higher end hunting rifle market.

I have a Grade 2, 24" M7000 in 300 Win Mag that I obtained in Texas in the early 80s. It has a pretty whippy barrel that shoots about 1 1/4 inch at 100 yrds with reloads. Recoil is brutally sharp even with the recoil pad, because the rifle is pretty light. 10 rounds puts bruises on my shoulder, no matter how hard I climb into the stock. It is a he-man rifle and many of my friends have experienced scope eye with it, which is a 3x9 Leopold Vari III. I do not hunt with it bacause it is too pretty and they have not made any more of them since the early 80s. Worth around 600-900 US depending on the condition. There are still some parts to be had. It is slowly becoming a collector's item.
Old July 8, 2009, 06:39 PM   #5
Gootch

Some more info for you.

NIKKO FIREARMS CO., LTD.
NIKKO HISTORY AND GENERAL INFORMATION
The publisher wishes to thank the Golden Eagle Collectors Association located at 11144 Slate Creek Road, Grass Valley, CA 95945 for providing this publication with the information listed. Please refer to the Golden Eagle heading in this text for information on Nikko manufactured Golden Eagle firearms.
Both Nikko Firearms Co., Ltd. and Nikko Arms Co., Ltd. were trade names used by the Kodensha Co., Ltd. of Tochigi, Japan on products they manufactured and distributed worldwide. Nikko is the name of the Prefecture, or district, in which Tochigi City is located, about 50 miles north of Tokyo. The word Nikko translates to English as "sunshine." Kodensha first manufactured or distributed under the Nikko name in April 1955, and exported out of Japan beginning in August 1958. Nothing is known of the origin of the Kodensha Co.
Kodensha first approached the American shotgun market in about 1958 or 1959 using the Japanese export marketing firm of Kyowa-Boeki-Bussan. They contacted various U.S. distributors, and in about 1959 or 1960, Continental Arms Co. of New York City began importing the Nikko "Grade 5." Continental imported these Nikko over/unders, in various models and configurations, until about 1972.
In 1962, the Kodensha Co., Ltd. formed a joint venture with Olin/Winchester of New Haven, CT to produce the Winchester Model 101 over/under shotgun. This venture was known as the Olin- Kodensha Co. Ltd. Added a little later was the side-by-side Model 23, and the Model 96 Xpert (a budget priced 101). The "pre-Olin" Kodensha factory was considerably outdated, and the joint venture began a complete modernization process, with the financial and technical assistance of Olin. Millions of dollars of machinery and technology were brought in, and the entire manufacturing process was upgraded to the then current standards.
One of the conditions of the joint venture was that Kodensha restrict their own products (made in the same factory, but recorded separately from the joint venture) to sale in Japan only. At the outset of the 25 years that the joint venture existed, Kodensha was probably amenable to this, as they were reaping huge financial and technical benefits from Olin. But, by the mid 1960s, when the factory was in place and running smoothly, Kodensha essentially ignored that condition of the agreement, leaving Olin at somewhat of a disadvantage, not wanting to jeopardize their investment or production source. Additionally, Olin/Winchester was allowed only two permanent personnel, hardly enough to monitor the activities of a factory which employed up to 400 people. As an example, when walnut stock blanks arrived from France, Kodensha took first pick, and Olin got what was left over.
Kodensha converted an existing building near the manufacturing plant into an assembly area for Nikko, and other brands of guns. This building was probably the "true" Nikko Firearms Co., Ltd. Manufactured components from the Olin-Kodensha factory were carted to the Nikko plant for final assembly and fitting. This "dual-factory" arrangement continued until the mid 1980s. In 1981, for an unknown reason, the Olin-Kodensha name was changed to OK Firearms Co. Ltd. In October 1987, Olin/Winchester sold their interest in OK Firearms to Classic Doubles International, which continued making the 101 style shotgun under their own name. For reasons unknown, Classic Doubles went out of business in December 1988. Shortly thereafter, the entire factory was torn down, and all that remains today is a vacant lot.
During the "dual-factory" days, Nikko produced firearms for the following distributors or retailers: 1) Kanematsu Gosho of Arlington Heights, IL approx. 1974-1982 - distributed Nikko brand shotguns, Golden Eagle brand shotguns and rifles (1975 through March 1977 only); 2) Golden Eagle Firearms, Houston, TX March 1977 through early 1981 - Golden Eagle shotguns and rifles; 3) Tradewinds, Inc. of Tacoma, WA exported from Japan by Caspoll International, Tokyo January 1971 through December 1972 - Shadow Seven; Shadow Indy (Model 707); Gold, Silver, and Black Shadow over/ under shotguns; 4) Marubeni America, Inc. of New York City 1972-1974 - Miida brand over/under shotguns; 5) Winchester GMBH of West Germany, manufactured by Olin-Kodensha (dates unknown - early 1980s) - Winchester Model 777 rifle (Golden Eagle look-alike); 6) Parker Reproduction shotguns, distributed in the US by Reagent Chemical & Research, Inc. 1984-1988; 7) International Star Commerce Corp. (ISCC) of Salt Lake City, Utah approx. 1982 - distributor of Nikko brand shotguns; 8) Moore Supply Co. of Salt Lake City, UT beginning mid-1981 - distributor of Nikko brand shotguns; 9) USA Nikko, Inc. of Los Angeles, CA (factory reps and distributors of Nikko shotguns), initial date unknown, through December 1981; 10) Weatherby, Inc. of Los Angeles, CA May 1972 to 1981. Centurion semi-auto and Patrician pump shotguns, some Mark 22 rifles. Olympian O/U shotgun and possibly other O/Us from 1978-81. Model 82 semi-auto and Model 92 pump shotguns; 11) Savage Industries of Hamden, CT 1981-1982 - Savage/Fox FA-1 and FP-1 shotguns; 12) Charles Daly. "Automatic" distributed by Sloans (Japanese made only) mid-1980s; 13) Sears, Roebuck Co. Ted Williams Model 400 and possibly others; 14) Churchill semi-auto, imported by Kassnar mid-1980s; 15) High Standard of Hamden, CT 1974-75 - Supermatic Shadow Indy (Model 707, an O/U), Supermatic Shadow Seven (also O/U), and Supermatic Shadow semi-auto.
NOTE: ALL of the semi-auto shotguns used essentially the same design. Each distributor may have made a few cosmetic or dimensional embellishments to differentiate their gun. Differences exist in barrel/breech fit, magazine caps, pistol grip caps, checkering pattern, piston size, ejector location, fluted bolt. Use caution if interchanging parts. Generally, the same statement can be made about the pump versions also.
Old July 8, 2009, 09:42 PM   #6
handlerer

Just a thought here. I remember a comment from Elmer Keith. Asked about rifles too pretty to shoot, his quip was "Have you ever seen a girl to pretty to kiss?"Not that it has anything to do with Nikkor GE7000, but the comment by Gooch brought that to mind. I was left by a dear uncle a mid-70's Weatherby MKV, 340 WBY, that was given to my uncle as a retirement gift. It is stocked with very fancy walnut and has the hard Walnut presentation case. It is German made, by Saur and sons I believe. I don't shoot it much, and would not haul it up the mountain to hunt with, I will take it to the range and try a few hand loads.