The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 7, 2009, 06:27 PM   #51
ninjatoth

my main question is,why aren't the purchasing permits and the ccw permits the same?the purchasing permit only asks if you have been involuntarily institutionalized,which I understand why the law wouldn't let you buy then,but I didn't have a problem with that at all when I got a pistol permit.My 2nd permit I got took 5 minutes with no wait period.But for concealed applications,it not only has the institutionalized question,but also a blunt"do you have a mental illness reguardless of being treated" question.
Old July 7, 2009, 06:38 PM   #52
maestro pistolero

You realize, of course, that the longer you prolong this thread, the more we are going to start worrying about you. It's part of the disorder, I know.

Look, you know your case history. You have been given the definition of mental illness as it applies to the application. You now have enough information to know how to proceed. Based on what you have divulged here, my guess is that you are not disqualified. Talk to a lawyer if you are still unsure.
Old July 7, 2009, 06:52 PM   #53
ninjatoth

I just read a long page in some detroit article that explained alot.It would be alot of hassle,and they would have to access my mental health records,which is a folder about 5 inches thick!since the main reason I want a concealed permit is to buy guns at gunshows easier,I should just time my trips and buy permits at the time of the shows.I hate feeling intimidated by going in front of a gun board.Don't worry about me,I get on here alot to escape mickey mouse,spongebob,or whatever my 2 and a half year old is watching
Old July 7, 2009, 07:18 PM   #54
djohn

Ninjatoth I agree that determination of a mental Illness should be seperated.Example some one with schizophrenia is not the same mental illness of some one with a cleaning disorder.

I worked with a guy that suffered from schizoprenia and most of the time he was a very nice guy in fact a big teddy bear.At Times he magically thought he was cured and would go off his meds that he become downright scary.He would talk to him self,have a look in his eyes that where beyond words and not speak to anyone.They fired him because he was scaring co-workers.

As I am thinking back of this guy and drawing a mental picture of you that the only mental picture I get is at the sink washing your hands all day long.I dont see how this could possiably affect your character or safe handling of CCing.fight for your rights if you feel they are being infringed upon
Old July 7, 2009, 09:03 PM   #55
Frank Ettin
Staff

Sam,

This is not going to get fixed on the Internet. This is a real life issue for you. What you need to do, if you want to resolve this, is get a lawyer and take care of business. All the advice from anonymous posters on this broad won't do that for you.
Old July 8, 2009, 12:36 AM   #56
maestro pistolero

Stop spinning.
Old July 8, 2009, 10:15 AM   #57
Glenn E. Meyer

Ok - it's clear that the problem isn't going to be resolved unless the gentleman seeks appropriate legal advice. One resource was posted.

There are also court opinions on the issues that can be researched:

2006 Mich. OAG No. 7189, 2006 WL 690822 (Mich.A.G.)

Office of the Attorney General
State of Michigan

Opinion No. 7189

March 15, 2006

and

Court of Appeals of Michigan.
Joseph HEINDLMEYER, Petitioner-Appellee,
v.
OTTAWA COUNTY CONCEALED WEAPONS LICENSING BOARD, Respondent-Appellant.
Docket No. 255738.

Submitted Sept. 8, 2005, at Grand Rapids.
Decided Sept. 20, 2005, at 9:05 a.m.
Released for Publication Dec. 8, 2005.

Found on Westlaw - I wish to thank my good friends at the NRA research office for supplying these for me.

Actually discussing the OP's condition is not appropriate and since the question has been answered with good advice, I'm going to close it to avoid further personal discussions.

Thanks to all for the info.

Glenn