The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 17, 2009, 10:35 PM   #26
colostomyclown

another thread where i hope this doesn't happen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD_IH9B0bR4
Old June 17, 2009, 10:50 PM   #27
Nnobby45

Quote:
What is the "glock" of shotguns? I know almost nothing about shotguns.
If it's cheap and ugly, and usually works, you've found your gun.

For the SigSauer in shotguns, go with the 870.
Old June 18, 2009, 08:29 AM   #28
stargazer65

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What is the "glock" of shotguns? I know almost nothing about shotguns.
If it's cheap and ugly, and usually works, you've found your gun.
That's the other reason I found the question to be humorous, it's a loaded question that means different things to different people.
Old June 18, 2009, 09:18 AM   #29
RetiredLawman

FWIW, I have a Nova 20 guage beside my bed. We had a bad storm earlier this week and lost electricity for several hours that night. That Nova gave me a good feeling in case uninvited guests decide to take advantage of the darkness.

During my 30 years career in LE, I determined through experience in investigating home invasions, burglaries, etc., that ended in shootings, the 20 gauge has been as beneficial as any other gauge in ending the BG's intentions, usually with fatal consequences. Most of the fatalities were with homeowners using whatever was handy, usually small shot. Of course, #3 buckshot is also pretty handy for a 20 gauge's HD purposes. I have mine loaded with #6 promo loads as my home is only 30 feet wide and almost anything in a shotgun is fatal at that distance.

The Nova is probably not the Glock of the shotgun family but it goes bang and has never failed me in the field.
Old June 18, 2009, 12:20 PM   #30
Katrina Guy

well your $300. tops budget doesn't allow for much these days.

a Mossberg persauder is around that dollar amount now...either opt your ceiling cap or think Mossberg. Mossberg has something Remington doesn't have, an easy to access as in very easy slide release button or clutch, the Remington requires for you either to change hands or to "fiddle" to access it, not easy to reach, rather hard (I find) to engage...not so much hard rather awkward. This for me, the Mossberg's easy to engage slide release button is why I have a Mossberg. Regarding the Mossberg's maricote finish version, odd as it may seem, so many fire arms come in flat black or some sort of parkerized finish or parkerized like finish, my Remington H.D. model is like that, I personally don't like a fire arm that looks like a neon light at night, and stainless and maricote's do. Food for home defense thought.