Good 46 42.59%
Fair 19 17.59%
Poor 15 13.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 24, 2007, 06:43 PM   #51
bettingthehorses

Remington 750 Woodmaster

The jbirdhaffield problem is likely same as I had with my new 750. Read my post #33 in this thread on how to fix it. Mine's not jammed since I did the fix. As stated in my post #38 I had and fixed a problem with a 1970 Browning BAR as well. I also have a Remington model 4 that's never had any problem of any kind. Key is to identify a problem and determine how to fix it instead of jumping to conclusions that brand A is terrible and brand B is the best there is. Note the Browning BAR isn't available in 35 Whelen which is why I wanted the Remington 750, and I didn't hesitate to buy due to my good experience with 3 consecutive Remington semi-autos, 1 model 742 and 1 model 4 plus latest model 750. The 750 is lighter to boot, and I now prefer it to all others, BAR included which is noticeably heavier BTW.
Old June 24, 2007, 09:16 PM   #52
Big-Foot

Yeah it seems like the mags are at least part of the problem as Remington is now offering improved magazines to owners. I haven't been able to find out which caliber 750s are involved in this recall. I agree with Bettingthehorses, it's a shame that they didn't identify the problem sooner, owners shouldn't have to bend parts on a brand new rifle in order to get it to work.

Keep us updated with your guns reliability Betting, I'm still considering purchasing one in 35 Whelen if the reviews improve.

Well it looks like Remington has once again screwed the pooch by selling a product without working out the bugs first. I notice that it's not available in the SAUM cartidges which were another of Big Greens great marketing disasters. Right after the wonderful 710. Ah well. I don't mean to flame any Remington owners, I just wish this formally great American company would get it together. Maybe some enthusiasts will buy the company and turn it around similar to what has happened at Savage.
Old June 25, 2007, 10:16 AM   #53
bettingthehorses

Remington 750 Woodmaster

I probably won't do much more shooting before mid October when deer season starts here, but I can tell you I have no doubt reliability will continue. I did the same fix on a 742 for my brother-in-law back in the early 1990s, and it's functiioned flawlessly for over 15 years. About 10 years ago I also got a Ruger Mini14 that functioned flawlessly with factory mag, but it had same magazine problem for 20 and 30 round high capacity magazines I bought which were fixed by the same procedure. Remington should ship products with good parts that don't require alteration to get them to work, and I think I'm going to try to wrangle an extra mag from them because of this problem that should not be in the first place.

If I were wanting a 35 Whelen semi-auto, I'd go ahead and get it if you feel comfortable with performing the fix if needed because the chambering may be a limited offering. I think this because I think the 7400 was offered in 35 Whelen when it was introduced but hasn't been offered in many years. I looked around a few years trying to find a used 7400 in 35 Whelen without success.
Old June 25, 2007, 05:52 PM   #54
Big-Foot

Quote:
......and I think I'm going to try to wrangle an extra mag from them because of this problem that should not be in the first place.
Now that's good thinkin.

Hey could you measure the rate of twist with a cleaning patch for me? I've looked all over Rems site including the online owners manuals and none would specify the twist rate. Some of Rems other 35 Whelen rifles have a twist rate too slow to stabilise the longer 250s that I'd want to shoot big Roosevelt Elk with.
Old June 26, 2007, 10:44 AM   #55
bettingthehorses

Remington 750 Woodmaster

Go to http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...?t-218686.html which shows it has 1 in 16 twist, and the link indicates this is sufficient to stabilize 250 grain bullets. Mine was initially zeroed with 250 grain Speer Hot Core which grouped very well. I also have a custom bolt action on Mauser 98 action with 1 in 12 twist which is ideal for 35 caliber and is what I'd choose if there was a choice in factory guns, but the Remington 750 is the only option in a semi-auto unless you wanted to pay for a barrel replacement. Personally I'd prefer a 200 grain Barnes X bullet for elk or anything else. The 250 grain loads will undoubtedly do the job well, but the 200 grain will shoot flatter which is an advantage where long shots may be likely.

Edit: Upon reading info from link of previous post again I noticed the poster there speculated about Remington 750 possibly having 1 in 12 twist for 35 Whelen. However, I just called to wrangle the mag from Remington which was done with no problem, and Remington rep confirmed it has 1 in 16 twist for 35 Whelen as I suspected.

Last edited by bettingthehorses; June 26, 2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old June 26, 2007, 11:33 AM   #56
bettingthehorses

Remington 750 Woodmaster

Deleted, see edit above.
Old June 26, 2007, 02:45 PM   #57
jbirdhaffield

Remington 750 Woodsmaster

This return of email is probrably late, maybe too late. I must tell you that I purchased the 750 from Walmart and went to the range. I had a horrable experience with the gun having it jam on the third shot. After spending over $550 on it I brought it back to Walmart. I was shocked when they told me they would refund me the money. They were great about it. The salesman that sold the gun to me was also there the day I returned it. He said normally they do not return guns for any reason but he knew my situation and took it back anyhow. He told me that he would explain to the store manager that the wood was off color so he would except it back. I could not have been more pleased with there service. Now as for the gun itself I was just so dissapointed. I had waited months for this all new "Woodsmaster" to come out hoping that I was doing the right thing by saving $100 bucks and not going with the BAR. I had several guys on different forums tell me way ahead of time to save a few more bucks and buy the BAR, I should have listened. Shortly after I read up on the Remington 700 actions in there bolt rifles. I was amazed to see how expensive the bolts had gotten too. So I waited and finally found one here in my home town on clearance from $475 down to $328. Knowing that I was buying one of the best actions ever made in gun history I knew that I could buy an after market trigger, Limbsaver recoil pad, and put my Leupold scope on it and have a damn fine rifle. Even after buying the gun, the after market trigger, and R3 recoil pad I still managed to spend less and have a rifle that was DEPENDABLE. Moral of the story is if your set on an auto loader either spend some money and buy a Benelli R1 or a Browning BAR. If you want an accurate and always dependable rifle well than stick with Remington brand and go BLOT style. Thanks for reading this email. I just wanted to share this story of how dissatisfied I was with this certain model after all the talk that it was now better. Kutos to Walmart and there wonderful service. I hope that the rumor of Walmart doing away with guns is not true because there would be thousands of unhappy hunters that do there family grocery shopping as well as there seasonal hunting shopping thier too. Thanks, Jason
Old June 26, 2007, 06:11 PM   #58
Big-Foot

1/16, TYWM Betting.

Jbird, I ran across a new semi this weekend. Get this, 20 and 22" barrel, 7.1 and 7.3 lb. in 9.3x62. I'd love a semi 9.3x62 for woods elk hunting, but in reality it's only a bit more potent than the 35 Whelen and the Rem is probably half the Sauer S303s price. http://www.sauer-waffen.de/index.php?id=686&lang=en
Attached Images
File Type: gif Sauer S303 Classic.gif (18.1 KB, 103 views)
Old June 27, 2007, 12:22 PM   #59
bettingthehorses

Remington 750 Woodmaster

FYI some Walmarts in the Atlanta, Georgia area have stopped selling guns, but I've heard Walmart plans to stop selling guns in selected stores and not all which I hope is true. If the Sauer is twice the Remington price, I'd take 2 Remingtons or 1 Remington and buy something else with money saved.
Old April 11, 2008, 11:31 AM   #60
adrifter2

A friend that I deer hunt with every year here in the midwest, purchased a new Rem. 750 in .308 for the 2007 deer season.
He installed Burris mounts and rings, with a new Burris Fulfield 2, 3X9-40 scope.
At a 200 yard rifle range near by we zeroed the 750 at 150 yards, using Federal Premium 165 grain factory ammo, off of a solid bench rest sitting position.
The Rem. 750 shot a steady 2 1/4" groups at that distance, giving the rifle lots of time to cool down between groups while we zeroed two of my rifles at another bench. The outside temperature was around 62 degrees with no wind with sunny skys, and we took plenty of time that day.
When we deer hunted I watched my friend shoot a buck from a sitting position on the ground with a tight sling hold, and at a measured distance of 244 yards. One shot kill.
He later went to an ajoining state for a wild bore hunt, and took a big one down at 168 yards, using the same Federal ammo with a one shot kill.
He has so far shot about 250 rounds through his 750 with no problems.
He keeps all his rifles neat and clean, and his Remington 750 as well.
Old April 24, 2008, 09:12 PM   #61
aagrendel

Rem 750 35 Whelen

Recently bought a new Rem 750 in 35 Whelen. Took it to the State run range and stoked it up with Rem factory ammo. It jammed up on the 5th round! Couldn't retract the bolt and trigger acted like a round had been fired. The range officer wouldn't let me leave the range with a round in the chamber. He held the rifle pointed down range and told me to wack the operating rod handle with a hard leather mallet he brought to my booth. I wacked and the rifle fired!

Next day I returned the rifle to Cabela's for a full refund.

I heard the older models were unreliable and I guess at least for me the same is true for the new model.

I still wish someone else like Benelli or Browning chambered a semi-auto in 35 Whelen.
Old April 25, 2008, 07:29 PM   #62
Big-Foot

Quote:
Recently bought a new Rem 750 in 35 Whelen. Took it to the State run range and stoked it up with Rem factory ammo. It jammed up on the 5th round! Couldn't retract the bolt and trigger acted like a round had been fired. The range officer wouldn't let me leave the range with a round in the chamber. He held the rifle pointed down range and told me to wack the operating rod handle with a hard leather mallet he brought to my booth. I wacked and the rifle fired!
Old November 2, 2008, 12:23 AM   #63
stkshooter@gmail.com

Hello, this is my first post here because I was researching the 750.

How many Rem 750 owners in .308 have had problems ? I've searched the internet and see many complaints in other cal. but .308 doesn't seem to have a problem jamming once broken in and cleaned well. I've purchased auto-loaders in the past which seemed pretty stiff new but after a box of ammo and a good cleaning were perfect. Many of the post about shooting 1-3 rds. new out of the box and jamming is no big surprise. I have a auto-loader with over 800 rounds fired threw it and has been threw lots of dirt/brush while hunting and only been taken down / cleaned twice in 2-3 yrs. If it ever acts like it's going to jam or doesn't throw the case clean, I just grab a can of slick 50 lube and soak the action down, wipe it down and it's ready for another hundred rounds. It's much smoother now then when it was new.

My 750 in .308 will be here soon and I'll follow up with a review. Till then, let's here from some .308 owners who have given the gun a chance.
Old December 5, 2008, 12:41 PM   #64
stkshooter@gmail.com

Back for follow up reply.

I took my new 750 to the range and as everybody else said it jammed over and over the first box ( 20 ) I just kept clearing the gun and kept shooting. On 2 nd box ( 40 ) it was jamming every other shot and on 3 rd box ( 60 ) only a few times. By the 4 th box ( 80 ) it was cycling like a completely diff. gun. The magazine would slide in / out easy and chamber a round easy. Everything was smooth and worked flawlessely. The 5th box ( 100 ) I put threw it fast. Loaded the magazine and boom, boom, boom, boom worked like a champ over and over. Didn't have any jam on the last 40 rds. I put threw it. They were PMP .308 win. FJBT 143 gr. The 3rd box was match ammo since I was setting up a new scope too. At 50 yrd. groups were tight 1/2 in. apart for entire box. 100 yrd. was a diff. story since gun was very hot. Scope is pretty close at this point and gun is working great. The next range session I'll take my time and fine tune everything a bit. This session was just to loosen things up and get everything settled in.

People who had a jamming prob. should have feed it more ammo. If after 100 rds. it was still jamming then give it a good cleaning and soak every moving part with teflon lube and try again. Once it gets broken in, you will think it's a diff. gun.

This post was only addressing the jamming complaints. I'll follow up with shooting groups next time.

Jon
Old December 5, 2008, 01:08 PM   #65
Big-Foot

Interesting, thanks.

Might be interesting to see if others have had similar good luck after break-in.

With the bad economy and this rifles dubious roll-out I'll bet one could be picked up pretty cheaply.
Old December 7, 2008, 09:00 PM   #66
stkshooter@gmail.com

I thought the same thing about picking one up cheap, but could never find one less than $100 off Bud's gun shop price new so I bought a new one.

Jon
Old March 13, 2009, 11:43 AM   #67
bikerbennito

Remington 750 carbine 308

Well fellers I use my 750 carbine out here in cali for pig hunting. The pigs out here are mean mothers and going in with 3 or so shots didn't give me a warm fuzzy. Soooooo I started looking for a 10 round mag.I researched all the forms on this matter and come to the conclusion the metal ones where junk and I was wright.I bought one and sure enough junk.Sooooo Being very mechanically inclined I bought an Eagle 10 rounder in plastic.Now at first the plastic one didn't work for S()it either but being plastic I was able to carve on it for a nice fit and very good operation. Conclusion 10 rounds of 308 win as fast as you can pull the trigger.Lots of fun for me bad news for the piggies. I shoot open site so I wont have to deal the zero problems with scopes. Takes away from my hunting time.

For those of you having problems out of the box I always clean and lube before I fire a new gun.Its a me thing .

I have also sent a request too Remington for a factory 10 rounder.If some of you do the same maybe they will respond.Until then the eagle 10 round mag is all we have.I would not waste your money on any thing else until Remington provides one.

Last edited by bikerbennito; March 13, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old March 13, 2009, 11:59 AM   #68
armsmaster270

I have my Grandfathers 740 30-06 and it works like a clock. Every year he went deer hunting he came home with one every time 1 shot to the neck so I don't think he had a zero problem as he never sighted it in after the original sighting. He had a friend that pulled the bullets off of 300 rounds of G.I ammo and replaced the GI Ball with 150gr Remington Bronze points. all the same lot never bought 06 ammo again I still have about 15 rounds.
Old March 13, 2009, 06:55 PM   #69
4sixteen

I have a 7400 and a 750 carbine, both in 35 Whelen. Top notch rifles...

Last edited by 4sixteen; March 13, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old March 13, 2009, 09:16 PM   #70
dgludwig

Many years ago, I used to hunt with the long discontinued Winchester Model 100 semi-auto chambered in .308. The only malfunction that I experienced with this rifle was traced to having too much lube in the chamber area. I learned that it worked best when the chamber was kept bone dry. I don't know if this "fix" can be applied to the Remington semi-auto or not but it might be worth a try.
Old March 13, 2009, 09:46 PM   #71
RioKid

I have had my 7400 in .270 for 22 years. The only problem I ever had with it was my reloads would not feed. Other than that it is a peach of a gun.
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. Ps. 19:14
Old March 14, 2009, 01:42 PM   #72
BrthrB

Can't speak about the 750 or 7400's, but I've had a 742 Woodsmaster in 30.06 that shoots very well. I did have some issues with magazines, once that was worked out, I've not had any problems.
Old June 17, 2009, 07:28 PM   #73
compdoc

my new 750

I bought a new Model 750 Woodmaster .308win carbine a few weeks ago, and I fired it for the first time today. I went for the Woodmaster because I got the impression that the synthetic version wasnt drilled and tapped for a scope. Can someone who has a synthetic confirm that?

I really like the look and feel of the gun, although it does kick some. If it weren’t for that recoil pad, I'd be in pain right now.

I bought 2 additional Remington 4 shot magazines, and all 3 magazines were sticking while pressing rounds into place. The plate that pushes up the rounds (forget the name) was sticking to one side as it was pressed down. This made them very hard to load. A little silicone grease took care of it nicely. It’s a fully synthetic grease that I get from Ace Hardware.

Here's what I found after 80 rounds:

125 gr Managed-Recoil Remington Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point: this round jammed with each shot. The shell isn’t ejected, so I had to manually cycle the action to pop it out and load the next round.

150 gr Wolf (Russian) full metal jacket, steel case: jammed pretty regularly, and when it jammed wasn't as easy to correct as the brass-cased Remington round. Also, 1 or 2 rounds out of each box misfired. Usually, firing the round again would work. Can’t recommend this ammo...

180 gr Remington Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point: not one jam. Fed great, cycled great, and ejected properly. Kicks like a mule, tho.

I have to say, as someone else in this thread already mentioned; it seems to be the ammo. The 750 seems to require a round with enough kick to cycle the action properly. I'll need to buy some 155 and 168 grain rounds to see what else works.

Of course, as I break the gun in, it’s possible that 150 grain ammo will work eventually. It’s also possible that the Wolf ammo’s powder just wasn’t up to snuff. In any event, the Model 750 seems a fine gun that I’ll enjoy for many years...
Old July 3, 2009, 12:59 PM   #74
valuman

I am new here and joined the forum because of this thread. I purchased a used Remington 742 Carbine in .308 this Spring and absolutely love it. Unlike compdoc, I find that the recoil is almost nil, nearly like shooting a .22 WMR. Because of this gun, I've been reading all I can find on the model 750 and am strongly considering purchasing one.

When I was researching the 742, I found enough information to convince me that a short action chambering was the way to go for reliability and longer life of the rifle. The gun I bought has performed flawlessly with everything but some old military surplus ammunition that I bought at a local gun show. I have settled on 150 grain PSP as the "right" bullet weight.

The rifle I bought came equipped with Williams peep sights and I don't intend to scope it. Thus, I'm not too concerned about sub MOA accuracy. That said, I have shot a three shot group of 1.125" at 100 yards off of a rest. More importantly, I am able to put three shots in a pie plate at 75 yards, off hand, quickly.

It's this experience with the 742 that has me looking at the 750. I was thinking .35 Whelen but after reading this and some other information I'm prone to stick with the short action, .308 and most likely a synthetic stocked carbine which I might or might not scope. If I do scope, it will be a 1.5- 5x model.

BTW, this is a great place you guys have here, thanks for having me!
Old July 4, 2009, 10:47 AM   #75
moosemike

This is good information as I would like to get one of these rifles. I have had 760 pump rifles all my life but PA does not allow semi's for hunting so I don't have experience with these rifles. I am going to look for a used 742, something to play around with and if it proves reliable I will hunt out of state with it.