The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 12, 2009, 10:07 PM   #1
bradofhill

Home broken in to tonight

I came home this evening with my family, only to find two officers sitting outside waiting for us. Our home had been broken in to.

The bad guy, unknown to me, was reported by a neighbor to have ridden up to our front door where he knocked several times, and yelled to see if anyone was there. He then urinated on the front porch and rode around to the side of the house, laying his bicycle down and going through the latched fence leading to our backyard, and back door.

That same neighbor noticed the guy's bike was still there around 20 minutes later and called the police to check it out. An officer responded and entered when he saw the broken window on the back door, which was left ajar. He heard the BG upstairs and called out to him, then chased and arrested him when the BG bolted out the front door with about $1,000 of our stuff.

Thankfully my family wasn't hurt, and I'm glad that our stuff is all OK, but I can't help but wonder about something:

1) The BG walked through a room upstairs that had a handgun and two loaded magazines. What would the homeowners responsibility be if the BG shot the officer with it? A sickening thought, indeed!

I would also like to extend a word of thanks to any law enforcement persons who read this. The officer who took down the BG ended up wrestling him to the ground in the middle of the street, and took a few bumps and scrapes in the process. Sure it is his job and whatever, but I am touched by the fact that he did it on my behalf. So, lest the LEO types go feeling unappreciated, there are some people who are indeed grateful (except for last week's speeding ticket, but that is for another post).
Old June 12, 2009, 10:34 PM   #2
THEZACHARIAS

I dont think they could legally hold you responsible for a gun that had been stolen from you to injure a cop. Whether they try would probably depend on what part of the country (CA, NY, etc.) , maybe even on the judge hearing the case.

However, if the bad guy has a prior record, he might be on parole and being in posession of any firearm would earn him an additional charge and extra jail time on top of everything else he had accrued throughout the night.

I'd definately be buying those officers and the neighbor a case or two of beer, not to mention thanking god my family wasnt in the house. Sometimes bad things just turn out ok. Glad everything turned out ok.

Last edited by THEZACHARIAS; June 12, 2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old June 12, 2009, 10:37 PM   #3
ImprobableJoe

I'm just glad to hear that no one got hurt!
Old June 13, 2009, 06:06 AM   #4
armoredman

Sned the station they came out of a couple of coupons from a local eatery, they'll appreciate it! Glad nobody was hurt and your posessions were recovered.
Old June 13, 2009, 08:14 AM   #5
ZeSpectre

Thoughts...

First, Bradofhill I'm glad that you and yours are okay. I'm also glad you have decent and responsible neighbors!

Quote:
1) The BG walked through a room upstairs that had a handgun and two loaded magazines. What would the homeowners responsibility be if the BG shot the officer with it? A sickening thought, indeed!
Your firearms were secured inside your house. I don't see how any reasonable person could place blame anywhere except squarely on the shoulders of the criminal who broke in.

Quote:
I would also like to extend a word of thanks to any law enforcement persons who read this. The officer who took down the BG ended up wrestling him to the ground in the middle of the street, and took a few bumps and scrapes in the process.
Friends like to tease me when I complain about my aches and pains (I'm only 41) but I remind them that I worked LE and "it's not the age, it's the mileage" and believe me, LE can put some MILEAGE on your body!
Old June 13, 2009, 09:01 AM   #6
TheNev

Anyone else think that it's really sad that our society makes us afraid of legal ramifications for having a handgun STOLEN from within your HOUSE?

This really scares me. Where has common sense gone?
Old June 13, 2009, 09:24 AM   #7
skydiver3346

Breaking in your home!

This same thing happened two weeks ago down the street at one of my neighbor's home. Bad guy knocked on the door (he had a van parked in the front of the home). No answer so he walked around the back and came out front later with an expensive HD flat screen TV in his arms. Thank goodness the next door neighbor saw this and called police (they caught him leaving the area).

The real kicker to this buglary, was that the home owner (wife) was actually upstairs taking a nap and slept right through the whole thing. Didn't hear him knock on front door or him break the sliding glass door, etc. What if he had gone upstairs to look for other items? Could have really had a bad outcome. What is also scary, is that this happened at 3:15 in the afternoon, (BROAD DAYLIGHT).......

Glad you and your family are ok.
Old June 13, 2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespectre
Your firearms were secured inside your house. I don't see how any reasonable person could place blame anywhere except squarely on the shoulders of the criminal who broke in.
You're absolutely right, Ze. Problem is, we're not talking about a reasonable person, we're talking about the criminal justice system!
Old June 13, 2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Doggieman

You would only be liable if you didn't act like a "resonably prudent person".. for example if you left a gun outside on the lawn.

Generally a locked door is enough to keep you from tort liability.
Old June 13, 2009, 09:21 PM   #10
hoytinak

Quote:
That same neighbor noticed the guy's bike was still there around 20 minutes later and called the police to check it out.
That's the part I don't understand. The neighbor saw him "urinated on the front porch and rode around to the side of the house, laying his bicycle down and going through the latched fence leading to our backyard, and back door" then waited 20 mins to call the cops.
Old June 13, 2009, 10:47 PM   #11
speedycat

I am terrified of a home invasion. Not for my safety but for the safety of my mother if I was not home. I have tried to show her how to chamber a round in my shotgun to use it if she ever needed to use it. she doesn't really like guns and I got the impression she wasn't paying attention.
Old June 15, 2009, 10:14 AM   #12
1-UP

I agree, the urinating on your front porch wasn't enough to prompt a telephone call?

I am becoming more convinced that good neighbors are an important key to a safe home.
Old June 15, 2009, 11:08 AM   #13
sholling

There are good lessons to be learned here.
  1. Thank god for watchful neighbors! Take them out to a nice dinner, or at least treat them to dinner at a nice restaurant. Police generally cannot take gifts or gratuities, but a thank you note to the chief is a good idea.
  2. Passive defense of the perimeter. That means lighting and locks on gates. Crooks hate a well lit house. I have solar lights in the yard, solar spot lights lighting up the porch and front door and solar lights every 6' of my backyard fence. There are no dark spots to hide in. I also have lights on both sides of the locked gates, and motion sensor lights. If you don't like solar then at least put motion sensor lights in stragic areas and dusk to dawn lights near doors.
  3. Good sold locks on doors. Kicking the front door is a common way in during the day. Invest in reinforcing the jam and 4" screws for the strike plate.
  4. Get an alarm system.
Old June 16, 2009, 04:14 PM   #14
orangello

I'm glad nobody got hurt & your stuff wasn't ruined. Do you have a dog; you might make your house a harder target with a mouthy yard dog from the local shelter/pound. My grandma's chihuahua chased some breaking & entering imbecile through a closed window (ouch).
Old June 16, 2009, 06:42 PM   #15
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

If we are going to keep this thread here, in L&CR, we need to discuss the what the OP's questions were.

Else it gets moved to Tactics & Training.
Old June 16, 2009, 08:54 PM   #16
shortwave

Quote:
What would the homeowners responsibilty be if the BG shot the officer with it?
Assuming gun is legal and house was secured, no more responsibilty than if the BG stabbed the officer with one of your kitchen knives or beat him with your childs baseball bat. You get the idea. Also find out names of LEO`S involved and send a thank-you card to them in care of their Commander. Glad things turned out peacefully for you.
Old June 17, 2009, 05:30 AM   #17
mvpel

Quote:
Assuming gun is legal and house was secured, no more responsibilty than if the BG stabbed the officer with one of your kitchen knives or beat him with your childs baseball bat.
Except in California, where they have a law holding you criminally liable if your gun was not secured according to the government's specifications in the house, and is subsequently stolen and used in a crime.

Quote:
I don't see how any reasonable person could place blame anywhere except squarely on the shoulders of the criminal who broke in.
Far too few reasonable people in California government, that's for sure. http://www.i2i.org/main/article.php?article_id=246
1 Samuel 13:19
Old June 17, 2009, 09:46 AM   #18
sholling

Quote:
Except in California, where they have a law holding you criminally liable if your gun was not secured according to the government's specifications in the house, and is subsequently stolen and used in a crime.
Could you please site the law and provide a link. We have a law that guns must be secured when children are present but I'm not aware of any criminal or civil liability for having a gun stolen and used.

By the way the secured storage law was backed by the NRA.