The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 22, 2009, 07:47 PM   #51
gc70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 24, 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,496
Quote:
What did the final text say, if anything, on the subject of loaded and unlocked long guns? And is there any provision for loaded open carry? Isn't it possible to LOC in unincorporated areas in most states? If so, why not in a National Park?Perhaps this should be another thread.
Section 512 of the Credit Card Act of 2009 reads as follows:

Quote:
(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System- The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if--

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.
In short, if the state says it is okay - handgun, rifle, or shotgun, concealed or openly carried - it is also okay in National Parks and Wildlife Refuges.
gc70 is offline  
Old May 22, 2009, 11:20 PM   #52
maestro pistolero
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 16, 2007
Posts: 2,092
Quote:
In short, if the state says it is okay - handgun, rifle, or shotgun, concealed or openly carried - it is also okay in National Parks and Wildlife Refuges.
There's my answer, LOC permitted, if permitted by by state law, right? The way the media has exaggerated the impact of this rule change (though now actually a law), it probably won't surprise anyone much to see Aunt Bessie OCing her .38. After all, they are expecting AKs and ARs, thanks to the alarmists.
maestro pistolero is offline  
Old May 25, 2009, 11:12 PM   #53
Mtn Biker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 12, 2009
Posts: 122
Quote:
(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System- The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if--

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.
Anyone know if National Monuments are part of the National Park System? Here in New Mexico there are quite a few National Monuments out in the middle of nowhere and it would be nice to carry while visiting.

VL
Mtn Biker is offline  
Old May 26, 2009, 10:27 AM   #54
Ricky B
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 3, 2002
Posts: 251
Quote:
Anyone know if National Monuments are part of the National Park System?
It would appear that National Monuments are part of the NPS:

http://www.nps.gov/legacy/nomenclature.html
Ricky B is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2014 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.07651 seconds with 9 queries