The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 21, 2009, 06:39 PM   #51
Smokin_Gun

Pietta's stamp is <FAP><FAP> usually one under the other and connected...also Palmetto stamps are usually a Palmtree in a Circle.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 21, 2009, 07:39 PM   #52
Smokin' gun

And I still like Thompsons17 breach plug grease and their T lube. You can get it anywhere.

Billy
Old May 21, 2009, 08:08 PM   #53
Smokin' gun

Smokin Gun---I have a framed release paper from Appomattox Ct Hs that is signed by General John Bratton. There are few of these and most were signed by Majors ---not Brig Generals. Are you interested in this rare document?

Billy Hickup Hardy
Old May 21, 2009, 10:19 PM   #54
Smokin_Gun

Nope Billy but thanks for askin'... That would seem to be a pretty good find.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 23, 2009, 06:29 PM   #55
Smokin' gun

Like Fingers said-Palmetto's aint S#$t. I pulled out the three Palmetto 1858 Remingtons we have. When you cock it you can barely get a small forefinger on the trigger. Anyway, the stainless steel one doesn't feel or cock anyway close to the blued ones. It really feels good and everyone likes it. Also we got some 44c palmettos Navy. That is the first gun we sold! And I brought one home fired it about 24 times and it is tight. If you break it down(which I did) You better have some damn good eyes, a strong hand and a good temperment to put it back. Now, Pietta is selling the Johnny Reb 36 -Gunnison type at a real good price that comes in a wooden box . I know= Brass frames are a no-no, but a guy bought it after he was advised about brass frames. It would make a great father's day gift. I looked on traditions site and they have it marked down to around 150 and I bet that box comes with it. We bought it w/box wholesale and sold it . Check it out. It costs for these display boxes retail at least 35+ I'm goin to check the wholesale price on um from traditions and buy some if the're the same ones that I had. The gun looked great and felt good. Much better than the old Navy Arms model made in the 70's. Also, nobody want to reply on "damn good gun oil" Somebody out there. heck I'll just go googlr them and see what they brag about.
Old May 23, 2009, 11:00 PM   #56
Fingers McGee

Quote Smokin' Gun:
Quote:
Like Fingers said-Palmetto's aint S#$t.
I did? Is my CRS acting up again? I coulda swore it was Mykeal that said he wouldnt have a Palmetto at any price.

I've had a few Palmetto muzzleloaders (but Not C&B revolvers) back in my Rondy days were pretty good.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 24, 2009, 05:27 AM   #57
mykeal

Yes, I did say that. 'twer me.

That's an overstatement, to be sure, as it has happened that Palmetto produced some nice guns, and any company is capable of producing the occasional lemon. It's just that, compared to the other manufacturers, Palmetto made so MANY lemons....
Old May 24, 2009, 06:26 PM   #58
Smokin' gun

sorry fingers ---crs again please don't sue me for slander. It wasn't Fingers!