The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 13, 2009, 06:01 PM   #1
ohioup

Sako TRG-S/M995

First post

Recently acquired a NIB Sako M995 in 30-06. The model was discontinued some years ago. Didn't think I could go too far wrong at the price ($700). How did I do? What have I got?
Old April 13, 2009, 06:19 PM   #2
YODA308

theres one on the guns america website going for 995.00 the caliber on that one is 7mm weatherby mag.
Old April 13, 2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Scorch

Quote:
What have I got?
A Sako sporting rifle made in the 1990s, black synthetic stock.
Quote:
How did I do?
You spent $700 without knowing what you were buying? Don't worry, you did very well.
Taylor Machine
Old April 14, 2009, 05:38 AM   #4
ohioup

Thanks for replies.
To expand on the "what have I got?" question....I knew when I bought it that it was a sporting rifle based upon the TRG action, that it was made in the 90's and that the price was fair. I've simply not found much discussion about this model. Why discontinued? Problems? Poor sales? How many made? Relative to other Sako rifle models, how does it compare? What do owners of this model like or dislike?
Old April 15, 2009, 06:21 PM   #5
ohioup

Thought I might learn a little more about this Sako rifle on this forum. Guess I was wrong. Thanks just the same.
Old June 9, 2009, 02:58 AM   #6
David_S

EU product warning

I was trolling through old entries and came across your post and thought it was worth advising you of a potential problem with the M995.

I have a M995 in 6.5x55 and it is a very accurate rifle with a lovely trigger. When sighting it in recently at 200 yards preparatory to a hunting trip my son shot a 3/4" 3-shot group followed by a 1" group. He was using a bipod and a sandbag under the butt.

It is however quite a heavy rifle for lugging around the hills. After one 5 day camping trip we discovered a crack in the synthetic stock. There was no reason why this should have occurred but we satisfactorily repaired it using a dremel and epoxy.

What you should know is that there is a product warning of the EU Consumer Affairs at

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/dyna/r....cfm?rx_id=136

which indicated that in some circumstances this rifle could be unsafe.

"Description: The recall covers Sako TRG-22, Sako TRG-42 and Sako M995 (TRG-S) rifles manufactured between October 1999 and October 2002. ......

There is a risk that when the rifle is fired with a defective cartridge – either because it was reloaded or because the cartridge had a primer that pierced upon detonation – the rearward gas escape might cause a broken portion of the firing pin to exit the rear portion of the rifle towards the shooter. .......

Voluntary recall from consumers and corrective actions by the manufacturer
"

I emailed Beretta with the serial number and they checked it out immediately confirming that my rifle was not affected. I suggest you do the same.

Cheers

David
Old June 9, 2009, 08:03 AM   #7
SMITTY70

Sako TRG-S/M995

It's a hell of a rifle, you did good NIB for $700.
smitty
Old June 10, 2009, 01:42 PM   #8
ohioup

Thanks, David_S. I checked with Beretta USA and was assured that this product warning does not apply to M995 rifles sold in the USA.
Old June 10, 2009, 02:26 PM   #9
David_S

Good to hear your new rifle is fine. Always pays to be cautious though.

You can download a manual for your rifle from Sako if interested. Quite useful for part nos etc. One thing I found with my 6.5x55 was that the magazine that came with it (Part no S5740372) was a little short for some of my reloads but worked fine with factory ammo. I managed to source an alternative longer mag (S5740373) which works fine. The 30-06 probably has the longer mag anyway.

I would be interested to hear how yours groups. It should be a tack driver.

Here's mine on a recent trip. The red tape at the end of the barrel is to stop snow dirt etc getting in especially if you have a fall. If a quick shot is necessary we just shoot through it.

Cheers, David

Old June 10, 2009, 03:02 PM   #10
precision_shooter

Hey David, Some people may laugh, but Condoms and a Rubber Band work well for keeping crap and water out of the barrel. You just roll it over the end of the barrel and secure with a rubberband. Easy to shoot through if you need to make a quick shot, but also easy to pull off in a hurry.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 10, 2009, 05:26 PM   #11
David_S

Precision Shooter - Great idea! But would you really want to be seen with one of those thingies on the end of your barrel? .

I squirm just thinking of the remarks of my hunting companions.