The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 30, 2009, 09:45 PM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

I use firefox, and I like it.

Two applets that I've added to it that I've found to be particularly useful are Ghostery and Web of Trust.

Ghostery lets you know what things are running on the page in the background -- web bugs, javascript libraries, etc.

Web of Trust rates websites as to their potential to mess with your computer.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 30, 2009, 10:09 PM   #27
teeroux

Quote:
Warning screen background was different than screen of my virus protection server.

I've seen this one on myspace not on a gunsight yet. It is a disguised web page that looks like a virus protection program saying your infected and this and that click here to remove, it exist in your browser window a dead giveway somethings up.

If you see this do not click anywhere on the page the whole thing is a disguised link to download the virus .

If you do click it (which if you don't know its not your malware defence shame on you) and you have an up to date system you will be prompted of the download and how the program wants to access the computer you still have a chance to cancel it.
Old March 30, 2009, 10:51 PM   #28
djohn

Thats called a rogue program Fake and there is plenty of them Some of them infact are not virus or malware but to trick people to think there infected.So the run the program and requires to pay before any infection can be cleaned up when your pc was not infected first off.People fall for this scam and when they pay for it there identity is stolen and or sold to underground economy .$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ lots of dollars being made here and very few are ever caught but some have been tracked down.Has any one seen finally Fast.com another scam.I tested it in Sandboxie and ran a AV program and viola infection found trojan to be exact,Nothing touched my drive thanks to Sandboxie.Try call them on it when they realize you no what your doing.They hang up the phone.Just one other note most of this programs run there course anyway by cancell or closing the X the best way out is a hard close of the browser Alt- F4 usually will halt any malware from running its course and downloading.

Last edited by djohn; March 30, 2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old March 31, 2009, 09:35 AM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'll make it a step easier for all you PC types. Use dyndns or opendns for your dns servers and they'll block most of the nasty sites automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyme
It doesn't matter what OS you're running.

Get Firefox. Get adblockplus. Get noscript. Make sure it's blocking flash/pdf/java (it should by default). Whitelist specific known-good sites if you want, but do so at your peril particularly if they host 3rd party ads.
See, that's my point. Most people actually want flash/java/pdf to work without hassling them about working. Sure, to "techies" it doesn't matter. My computer is relatively safe regardless. I'm talking about people like my step-mother. I had to literally teach her how to turn on the computer. She can not handle pop up warning windows or blocked active-x controls. If it doesn't work when she clicks, she's done.

The internet is full of stories about how the Mac OS is not really safe and how it has XYZ more vulnerabilities than windows and blah blah Glock 40s Kb every other round blah blah.... and yet none of it actually comes true. All the vulnerable little Macs just keep on working, no attacks, no viruses, no spyware, no this script or that. Does anyone really believe that the cyber-BGs would just ignore the Mac because it "only" represents 3-4% of the market? Considering the legendary (false) expense level of the Mac, I should think that identity thieves would just itching to get into all those vulnerable Macs and all their rich owners. After all, 3% of the market is still MILLIONS of machines. I mean, wouldn't you go after the easy prey, even if it was only 3%? That's what real BGs do. They find the easy mark. Logic and common sense dictates that the Mac is NOT an easy mark or it would be targeted. The essential core of the Mac OS has been around since the 60s. OPEN SOURCE no less. Any unix savvy BG should be able to crack the Mac OS like an egg.... but they don't and can't.
Old March 31, 2009, 10:01 AM   #30
djohn

Already use OpenDNS not only is it more secure its not flaky like ISP servers.www.opendns.com great tip all the same Peetza Killa

Last edited by djohn; March 31, 2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old March 31, 2009, 03:04 PM   #31
guns and more

Quote:
Get a Mac. Problem solved.
That's because it's the Mac people writing the viruses.
Old April 1, 2009, 12:22 PM   #32
Evan Thomas

Quote:
I use firefox, and I like it.

Two applets that I've added to it that I've found to be particularly useful are Ghostery and Web of Trust.

Ghostery lets you know what things are running on the page in the background -- web bugs, javascript libraries, etc.
Mike, thanks for the tip about Ghostery -- that's a nifty little add-on. So far, it seems to catch the same things NoScript blocks automatically: Google analytics, etc...

You are running NoScript, right?

I've had WOT for a while, and it's useful, but I think it gives quite a few "false alarms:" negative ratings for sites that just made someone mad...
Old April 2, 2009, 12:36 AM   #33
LoneWolf22056

I personally hate firefox. It's incompatible with stuff I use on a day to day basis, like the little add-ins and whatnot that I need for my school stuff. I have firefox, but never use it. I stick to good ole IE. My virus scan runs every morning at 3 am. It's never found a thing, and my computer runs in tip top shape. AND, to top that off, I'm running vista.

I can just hear the computer people screaming.

I have all the cards stacked against me, as the computer junkies would say. But where is my blue screen of death? Where is my OS crash?

I love vista and all the little things that come with it. However, I absolutely despise the new microsoft office (2007). After all these years of using the same looking interface with basically identical function, they throw that hardened log of feces at us. Not only is it impossible to find the damn FILE button, you can't open the classic file extensions in the 2007 version without a frickin CONVERSION. It must be CONVERTED to .docx or whatever prog you use, be it powerpoint or excel. I refuse to ever give in and use that garbage, and I hope you all do too. Maybe they'll go back to the old way. it seems like they designed their interface to appeal to the artsy fartsies who enjoy the pictorial toolbar. I'd like to tell Bill Gates where he can stick that toolbar. Microsoft/Windows has always been the technical user's computer of choice. We leave the Macs to the people who can't figure out how the minimize, restore, and close buttons work on a windows broswer so they can use a color-coded dot system.
Old April 2, 2009, 09:56 AM   #34
grymster2007

Quote:
We leave the Macs to the people who can't figure out how the minimize, restore, and close buttons work on a windows broswer so they can use a color-coded dot system.
We can find our file button though! And I send an extra $10 Steve Jobs, every couple weeks, just for providing us such a cool toolbar!
Old April 4, 2009, 08:27 PM   #35
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetzakilla
See, that's my point. Most people actually want flash/java/pdf to work without hassling them about working.
Two clicks per domain to add to noscript's whitelist is hardly a hassle when you consider how much advertising, junk, UI hijacking, and phishing you can avoid. Auto-loading PDFs? This is the web, not companies' print-document publishing environment. Any auto-loaded document type runs the risk of vulnerabilities in that plugin being used to sneak malware onto your system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf22056
I personally hate firefox. It's incompatible with stuff I use on a day to day basis, like the little add-ins and whatnot that I need for my school stuff. I have firefox, but never use it. I stick to good ole IE. My virus scan runs every morning at 3 am. It's never found a thing, and my computer runs in tip top shape. AND, to top that off, I'm running vista.
Your school requires IE plugins/extensions? Yikes.

I hate IE for the same reasons. The plugins I'm used to don't work in IE (allegedly they will in IE 8.1, though.)

Most of the sites I've seen that require IE are B2B-type websites. They have a captive audience so they can get away with that; almost everyone in the business world uses IE, but even that's started changing recently. Furthermore, the kind of aesthetic design and architecture that goes into those sorts of B2B or internal webapps tends to be at the level of gutter trash: No concept of UI design, and no concept of useful data formats/interfaces. They're often rigidly designed with proprietary interfaces that are impossible to improve or extend. Those companies are almost better off paying someone in india $10/hr to write an equivalent web app with php.

But I understand there are some rare sites that require IE and sometimes there's no alternative.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old April 5, 2009, 08:34 AM   #36
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz12
In the last week I have been attacked twice now from firearm related sites that you would have to assume are not very heavily visited.

And so is there a reason why you aren't telling us what sites gave you these viruses?
Old April 10, 2009, 01:27 PM   #37
LaBulldog

Linux
Old April 10, 2009, 04:25 PM   #38
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Fashion statement for tuxedos?