The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 6, 2009, 11:07 PM   #1
Gregory Gauvin

AR Mags

In competition I only use 20 round magazines, like most AR shooters. The 30 rounders just don't work well when shooting prone, as I can't snuggle in low with the rifle without the mag touching the ground (which may then cause a double feed). But this is only my preference...I do hear of shooters who actually use the 30 rounder to rest on their chest when shooting offhand, and shoot from a higher position when at prone.

I understand why the military moved strictly to 30 rounders - but WHY must they destroy all the 20 rounders?
Old April 6, 2009, 11:17 PM   #2
armsmaster270

They didn't, most units kept the 20 rounders and reserved them for the range qualifications.
Old April 6, 2009, 11:23 PM   #3
Gregory Gauvin

True, but recently a friend of mine in the service was telling me that when they came across 20 rounders they were being crushed and replaced by 30 rounders - even for range use only.

Any reason to not keep 20 rounders in service? Going from the m16 to the carbine for CQB operations was effective, seems like a 20 rounder on a carbine would reduce the profile even more, making the weapon even more versatile around corners and such.