The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 17, 2009, 09:55 PM   #26
Lavid2002

Here :P stock is painted and finished. All she needs is a layer of clear coat. Also, I ordered a clear anodized trigger guard once it gets in ill install it and SHOOT IT! Im stoked heres a slideshow of my 10/22 from the start to the finish! Im posting it in THIS THREAD.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...96#post3376696
Old March 17, 2009, 10:19 PM   #27
James K
Staff

Now you know why an old time gunsmith referred to a hatchet as his "stock removal tool" for amateur bedding jobs.

Jim
Old March 17, 2009, 10:50 PM   #28
Lavid2002

Psh ameteur...do you SEEE this rifle!!!!
lol jk
Old March 18, 2009, 02:27 PM   #29
HiBC

On the MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) idea,agreed it is a useful solvent.

Good for folks to know it is very bad for you.

avoid exposure
Old March 20, 2009, 09:24 AM   #30
TEDDY

10/22

am I missing something ????you buy a rifle and then have to spend more to make it work.I have a Marlin 60 it hits where I want it to.I did put a scope on it a NcStar 4x cost $15 new.if I want target grade rifle I have 3 mossberg bolt target guns mod 44/144.cost $20 apiece back when.
Old March 20, 2009, 04:56 PM   #31
Lavid2002

Quote:
am I missing something ????you buy a rifle and then have to spend more to make it work.I have a Marlin 60 it hits where I want it to.I did put a scope on it a NcStar 4x cost $15 new.if I want target grade rifle I have 3 mossberg bolt target guns mod 44/144.cost $20 apiece back when.
I never spent money to make it work. I spent money to make it different and unique because its snowy and cold outside. My buddy has a marlin model 60. He has more stovepipes and FTFs than me. Also I can reload faster than he can : D My rifle also shoots tighter groups.
Old March 20, 2009, 06:08 PM   #32
DnPRK

You might want to consider an epoxy clearcoat for the polished receiver. Bare aluminum will oxidize, leaving a splotchy appearance.
Old March 29, 2009, 12:15 AM   #33
Lavid2002

Quote:
guard came today...all done :P
Edit, my bi-pod is taken off in this picture
Old March 30, 2009, 09:57 AM   #34
brickeyee

Quote:
On the MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) idea,agreed it is a useful solvent.

Good for folks to know it is very bad for you.

avoid exposure
Paint thinner is actually worse.

At least MEK has decent purity and is a single compound.

Paint thinner (AKA 'Stoddard solvent') is a mix of whatever boils off at temperature, with relatively little further purification.
Old March 30, 2009, 12:02 PM   #35
YODA308

anybody ever try spray silicone as a release agent
Old March 30, 2009, 02:19 PM   #36
Unclenick
Staff

Never heard of MEK as an epoxy solvent. Methylene Chloride is what is usually sold for the purpose. It is also the main ingredient in many paint strippers. Most lapidary supply outfits sell it to jewelers for getting stones out of settings they've been epoxied to. I've used it to dissolve cast epoxy cases of semi-conductors. Takes awhile, but does work.

I've also gotten used to using Johnson's Paste Wax as a release. It seems to work better for me than the commercial releases. As to what you drive an action out of a stock with, that is what slide hammers were born to do.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old March 30, 2009, 06:43 PM   #37
Horseman

+1 on Johnson's Paste wax as release agent. Nearly every solvent mentioned will eat what Ruger calls a finish on their aluminum 10/22 action. I've had great luck with straight vinegar for wiping up bedding stuck to the barrelled action.
Old March 30, 2009, 08:40 PM   #38
Inspector3711

Quote:
The long hairs in cabosil is the same stuff in asbestos
Before we go freaking anyone out here.. I've worked with this material for over 20 years.. Cabosil and Aerosil are two brand names for a product which is actually amorphous fumigated silica. For all intents and purposes it is very fine powdered glass. It contains no asbestos. We use it extensively in the aerospace industry to thicken epoxies when permissible.

Years ago it was found that some of the mines this stuff came from did have some asbestos in them and some of the product tested was contaminated. Those mines were closed long ago. OSHA lists amorphous fumigated silica as a nuisance dust. You should wear a dust mask when using the product to avoid risk of silicosis.

As far as MEK and MC (methelyne chloride) go, they are both bad news. The company I work for no longer uses MC and has strict restrictions on MEK. MC is a carcinogen and tumorigen, and mutagen, as well as reproductive effector. It also has been linked to spontanious miscarriages. Using MC on the job where I work can get you fired. MEK has been show to cause genetic mutations and tooth loss over long periods of occupational exposure. Both cause lung and liver damage. Wear heavy rubber gloves as surgical gloves are almost instantly penetrated by both solvents. Use in a well ventilated area.

To clear up one other subject, the MSDS for paint thinner shows very little in the way of long term health risks. I would have to say thet MEK and MC are both far more toxic than paint thinner. I hold a state and federal hasmat license.

For what it's worth, studies of Nutrasweet have shown that massive doses cause lab rats to gnaw off their own genitals. If you see me huddled in the corner facing away from you, you'll know I drink too much diet pop!

Last edited by Inspector3711; March 30, 2009 at 08:57 PM.