The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 21, 2009, 10:05 PM   #1
ninjatoth

Taurus 94B4 .22LR,any good?

I bought the taurus 94b4 .22LR instead if a smith and wesson.I paid $290 new versus $630 for the smith.Is the quality alot less,or would I have been paying for the name smith and wesson?I have put about 3000 rounds through it without a single problem,and it seems to be good,but I havent ever owned or shot a smith wheel gun to know the difference
Old March 21, 2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Piper Cub

As long as it is good for you it is all that matters.
Old March 21, 2009, 10:55 PM   #3
22-rimfire

If you like it, then it is a perfectly fine 22 revolver. Based on the number of rounds you'ver fired, the gun seems reliable. Maybe you got a good one.

My first handgun was a H&R 999 Sportsman I bought new. I had never shot a handgun or a revolver for that matter up until that point in my life. I really liked the revolver and I shot it a lot for a couple of years. (Pleased as punch.)

I couldn't justify the purchase of a Colt or Smith & Wesson 22 at the time. I could easily afford whatever I wanted. I just couldn't bring myself past the point where I could understand why one was significantly better than the other.

As time went on, my curiosity got the better of me and I bought a Colt Diamondback in 22LR. Loved that revolver and I never shot the H&R again after the first few outings with the Colt when I was comparing the two side by side. I don't own a Taurus revolver and my sense is that the Taurus is a step above the H&R that I owned.
Old March 21, 2009, 11:20 PM   #4
ninjatoth

i had the money for the smith at the time too,my thought was,its a .22,the hole is tiny and its backed with more steel than a smith .38 around the barrel,so why spend more when a .22 is low pressure and got a thick barrel.In that aspect the .22smith and .22 taurus are the same.Maybe the other parts arent as good,but they seem to be.Its not the smoothest single action gun,but maybe thats just cause its a 9 shot and the cylinder stops moving before its fully cocked?its picky,doesnt like winchester either,ouch.cases too tight,but it likes federal,cci and aguila just fine
Old March 21, 2009, 11:22 PM   #5
ninjatoth

btw,i didnt mean it was just a single action,it is a double
Old March 21, 2009, 11:24 PM   #6
publius

I like the Taurus 94, it ain't no Smith, but it is going to be my next purchase.
Old March 22, 2009, 07:00 AM   #7
Leejack

I had a SS 94. It was a fine gun.

DA trigger pull took some getting use to, but I did like the gun!
No problems at all!
Old March 22, 2009, 07:09 AM   #8
ninjatoth

I like the smell at night,I plan ahead for tomorrow
Old March 22, 2009, 08:55 AM   #9
22-rimfire

Until you shoot side by side a Smith Model 17, 617, or a normal weight Colt (such as a Diamondback, Officers Model Match, or Trooper Mark III), you really won't understand the difference. I didn't. The trigger will be better, the action smoother, and generally better fit and finish. And because of these things, you will likely shoot it a little better in general. But then again, you may shoot your Taurus side by side with one of these and go.... mine is just as good to me. My suggestion is to keep your eyes open when at the range for someone shooting a Smith or Colt and offer to let them shoot yours a bit. They may be just as curious about the Taurus as I am.

I handled many Ruger SP101's in 22. I think they are a beautiful revolver. After handling them, I just never could bring myself to buy one. Now they aren't commonly available and I wish I had bought one, JUST BECAUSE. A Ruger will never be a Colt or Smith revolver in terms of fit and finish and trigger without the loving touch of a gunsmith. But at least, I wouldn't be wondering if I was right all along.

I will be honest, I have almost bought one of the Taurus 22 revolvers numerous times also. I still intend to one of these days. But I want to buy one of the Smith Model 63's and Model 317's first. And I commonly run onto a fairly priced Colt that I want. (So it will be awhile.) The same goes with a Rossi Pathfinder although my suspicion is that the Taurus is noticeably better made gun than the Rossi. You know what they say... you can't really have too many 22's.
Old March 22, 2009, 09:03 AM   #10
ninjatoth

the taurus wasnt my first choice,I wanted the smith .22lr snub.But for more than 2x the price,i couldnt make myself do it.If i was going to spend that much,i would get 2 guns,and thats what i did,rossi 357 and taurus 22,i paid $615 for the pair,vs $630 for 1 smith 22,or $680 for 1 smith 357.im a beginner,so i was totally exited to have my first handgun whatever it might be,id prolly be exited about a commanche or heritage.I really like snubs,I dont know why,just do,but my 4" barrel makes me feel like a cowboy lol.I like the taurus overall,its a bit picky on ammo though
Old March 22, 2009, 09:11 AM   #11
22-rimfire

You did fine. I probably would have done the same thing in your shoes. In fact I did years ago. Enjoy shooting and don't concern yourself with what other people think are so much "better" than the Taurus.
Old March 22, 2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Claddagh

I've owned my 4" stainless M94 for almost 20 years now. Nothing's broken or worn-out and it's still reasonably tight after several thousand rounds. It hits where I point it and groups as well as I can hold it for with its preferred ammo. What more can you ask of an inexpensive utility RF revolver?

The only mod I made was to install a Wolff "Shooter's Pak" spring set from Brownell's to moderate the DA pull. Most of the excess pull weight comes from the very heavy factory rebound (trigger return) spring which is a whopping 14 lbs. The kit contains a RP mainspring and two RP rebound springs. After some experimenting I found my best compromise for reliable ignition and quick, positive trigger return was the factory MS and the 9 lb Wolff rebound unit. It's a simple DIY job and makes a huge difference.

FWIW, the action slicks up very nicely with use, so shoot it a lot and enjoy.
Old March 22, 2009, 09:53 AM   #13
pmeisel

Its a decent gun for a good price, I am thinking about one myself. If I was bullseye shooting every week like I used to it would be a K frame Smith, but for cans and water jugs in the back acres I can't justify the price difference, I'll spend it on ammo instead.
Old March 22, 2009, 04:09 PM   #14
Keltyke

Good price, decent gun - especially when S&W 317s are going for 6 bills!!!

Mine had a hang-up problem that Taurus fixed under warranty in about 5 weeks. Excellent service. Since then it's been a different gun.

The only con of it is the long, heavy trigger pull that most Taurii seem to have. The finish isn't as good as S&W, but again, it doesn't cost $600.

I like'em!
Old March 22, 2009, 05:18 PM   #15
ninjatoth

i actually like the hard trigger pull.If for some reason,one in a million,my 2 year old found it,i know she couldnt even come close to pulling it
Old March 22, 2009, 06:01 PM   #16
22-rimfire

Don't ever underestimate kids.
Old March 22, 2009, 07:42 PM   #17
ninjatoth

I never load that one at home and she isnt allowed in the room where it is,I need a safe or lockbox soon.i keep it unloaded on a shelf,but still,right
Old March 24, 2009, 12:22 AM   #18
Gazpacho

TV teaches kids to pull the hammer back first.

BTW HKS makes a speedloader for your revolver. It's the one thatalso feeds the 9 shot H&R revolver.
Old March 24, 2009, 10:26 AM   #19
ninjatoth

buying her toy derringers and shotguns dont help either I bet
Old March 24, 2009, 11:41 PM   #20
ninjatoth

the gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHSz8...e=channel_page here she is in action.

Tags
.22 , 94b4 , revolver , taurus