The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 10, 2001, 07:26 AM   #1
parachuterigger

Rohm revolver

I am looking for any information anyone may have about a .22 caliber revolver. It is marked on one grip with ROHM and marked on the other grip with RG-10. This belonged to my uncle (deceased 30yrs ago) and I would like to identify it. Thanks for any help!!
Old October 10, 2001, 08:17 AM   #2
Big Lou

My father had an RG revolver for home protection. It was a .22 Shorts-only, with about a 1 to 1.5" barrel. I think he paid about $15 for it some 30 years ago (used), and I wouldn't even give that for it now. It was a real POS.

A few years ago, I did some Internet digging on these guns. Rohm Gesellschaft Industries (aka Rohm and RG) were imported from Germany and were very cheaply made, inexpensive, and broke easily. This manufacturer had such a bad reputation, they were frequently identified along with the term "Saturday Night Special" (a term I don't like, but the liberal gun-grabbers loved). I'm not sure, but I don't think they are allowed to be imported into the US anymore.

I don't think your gun will be of any significant dollar value, and I would even advise against shooting it (my opinion). If it has sentimental value, tuck it away as a memento.

I eventually bought my father a Dan Wesson .357 Magnum as long as he promised to get rid of that RG POS.
Old October 10, 2001, 09:14 AM   #3
Hawkman

My first handgun purchase was an RG-10 in 1969. Paid 19.95 for it, shot it a few times, then stored it at my mother's house. Found it the other day, still in the box, with my original receipt.

Probably worth, oh, 19.95 now
Old October 10, 2001, 12:40 PM   #4
parachuterigger

My dad has the RG-10. He was going to shoot it and I told him not to until we identify it and get it looked at by a gunsmith. Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like this one should go in the gun cabinet and not be shot.
Old October 10, 2001, 03:12 PM   #5
Erich

The old saw in the gun trade was that "RG" really stood for, not "Röhm Gesellschaft", but "Rotten Gun."

This is the make that was used by Hinkley to shoot Reagan. I have never seen an example that wasn't an amazing POS. Nice to see that the Germans can make junk, too, when they want.

I think you've got a good handle on what to do with it, parachuterigger. Say, been to the Hagerstown buffet lately?
Old October 10, 2001, 04:14 PM   #6
VictorLouis

Believe it or not

Ayoob did a review of the RG in a recent mag. Don't ask me why. IMO, the budget conscious who would buy such a 'piece' aren't the type to read gun mags.
Old October 10, 2001, 05:11 PM   #7
SlackO

I actually have one that my grandma carried as a 'trunk gun' in her car. RG-10 (Rohm) .22lr. The article was this spring in G & A Handguns. According to the article the old ones were the original 'saturday night special' and the term 'Rosco' for a firearm was frequently applied to these.

Mine still shoots fine, but is not accurate at all even at 7 yds and the cylinder binds when the cylinder release pin is twisted counter clockwise even 1/2 turn (the cylinder can be removed by continuing to unscrew the release pin).

If you ever need a 'throwaway piece' you got it!
Old October 10, 2001, 06:53 PM   #8
Drakejake

I also am the proud owner of a Rohm 22 short revolver. I inherited it from my father. It is the classic Saturday Night Special. It is hard to imagine a worse firearm. The grip is awkwardly shaped and uncomfortable. The cylinder doesn't come out and the bullets must be inserted one at a time. There is no extractor; instead there is a little piece of metal that has to be unscrewed and then used to push out the cases one at a time. Talk about lack of firepower! I'm not sure you could kill a mouse with 22 short.

Drakejake
Old October 10, 2001, 07:46 PM   #9
parachuterigger

Erich,

I was at the Hagerstown buffet, Welliver's, about a month ago. I used to live in Hagerstown for a while. It is a nice, quiet little town. Been through this part of IN much?
Old October 10, 2001, 10:01 PM   #10
Erich

parachuterigger - I was pretty seriously dating a gal whose family was from Hagerstown when I was in college over at IU. (And I really seriously considered attending Earlham, but the price was just too high.) Seemed like a nice area, and I sure enjoyed the buffet! I'm from outside West Lafayette, myself.

You know, this is a pretty rare thread. It looks like all the reponding TFLers are on the same page.
Old October 11, 2001, 08:10 AM   #11
parachuterigger

Erich,

I spent some time in West Lafayette at the small university there (Purdue). It seems like the wind always hit you in the face no matter what direction you faced up there.
Old October 11, 2001, 09:06 AM   #12
Erich

Well, trust me, it's worse one county west of there (Benton County). Then I moved out here to the West - not uncommon to get 60 mph winds out of the canyon behind my house. Keeps you awake!

I'm heading back West Lafayette way for Thanksgiving. Because the weather's so nice in NW Indiana that time of year.
Old October 11, 2001, 02:47 PM   #13
James K
Staff

FYI, the term "roscoe" for a handgun long antedated the Rohm guns. I don't know the actual origin.

Jim
Old October 12, 2001, 01:51 AM   #14
kstoneking

For a long while I thought that I was the only "proud" owner of a "fine" Rohm firearm. Mine is a total POS as many have described already. The timing is so bad that most of the anemic .22 short lead round is shaved away and spews left and right out of the cylinder gap instead of forward out of the barrel. If the hammer is cocked, it will fall forward with very minimal thumb pressure. Even the pressed on front sight is loose. Needless to say this little gem hasn't been fired in about twenty years, and never will be again. I keep it only because it belonged to my deceased father and thus has sentimental value. One of my buddies has a Rohm in .22 short as well and he shoots it frequently, despite my warnings and dire predictions. He recently bought 200 rounds of .22 short and I told him he was being overly optimistic. I guess that it's sometimes better to be lucky than intelligent! Later.

kstoneking
Old October 12, 2001, 02:46 AM   #15
Jim March

"Rome wasn't built in a day, but your average Rohm was built in a lot less"
Old February 24, 2005, 05:53 AM   #16
A student of guns

I have a Rohm,too

I have a Rohm RG-10, too, I took it apart, yes it is a POS, and the barrel is totally screwed, rifling all worn away, lol, where can I find new barrels, and do you think a long barrel from a similar model would work ? Also, does anybody know of any aftermarket grips or anything of the nature for this revolver ? LOL, dumb questions, but I must ask.
Old February 24, 2005, 09:46 AM   #17
Erich

You might try Gun Parts Corp (google them) of West Hurley, NY for the barrel. No one makes aftermarket grips for the RGs.
Old February 24, 2005, 10:50 AM   #18
haskell

Rohm

Found an old Rohm model RG12 in a locked box in the closet. My Brother gave it to me back in the late 60's. He bought it in Colorado,He thinks he paid $19.95. It is a real poor excuse for a handgun. Great paperweight.
Just remembered why it has not been fired since the 70's. Shaves lead,Cock the hammer back and not much to push it forward again. I must have the deluxe model, it has an extractor rod.
Old March 10, 2009, 08:16 PM   #19
ncpatriot

Well, too bad I didn't see these posts earlier. I bought one today. Thought it would be a good gun for plinking out back. I hit gallon jugs at 20 feet, not too bad, I thought. Mine seems to line up cylinder & barrel ok, don't see evidence of lead damage. I probably paid too much, won't say how much at the moment.
Old March 10, 2009, 08:32 PM   #20
kyle663

i have one also, the 22lr model. traded a raven .25 auto for it. dont know who got the worse end of the deal, but mine seems to be one of the better ones. doesnt shave lead and shoots fairly accurate at short distances.
Old March 11, 2009, 12:57 PM   #21
20nickels

Rohm Suicide special?

I've shot one, they are surprisingly accurate once you get through the mile of gravel trigger.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:41 PM   #22
bvillars

r.g. grips

hey student I probably have those grips will check and let you know if I do will ship for free if you pay shipping
Old March 12, 2009, 10:07 AM   #23
CWB1

RG 10

We all know what a piece of c--- the RG 10 is so enough said. Several years ago while I was a County Coroner I investigated a shooting death. Boyfriend visits girl friend in mobile home. New boy friend sitting in living room. Old boy friends pulls a 38 Colt. Round count like this #1 miss in the chair # 2 miss in the counter # 3 miss in the dish storage. Guy running down the hall # 4 miss in the wall # 5 in the left arm # 6 in the lower back right side. Guy lives and runs out the back door.

Girlfriend goes into bed room and gets an RG 10 from under the pillow. Old Boy friend blocks door way and fires now empty 38. One 22 long rifle shot a finger width left of the belly button and he dies in his track. Big guy to 220-230 #

True story happened on Christmas Day also
Old March 12, 2009, 11:59 AM   #24
Magnum Wheel Man

this is my RG "target model"... it actually shoots too good to get rid of for what it is worth

ugly... but still shoots good...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 12, 2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:30 PM   #25
B.N.Real

My first centerfire revovler was a RG-10.

It started spitting lead so I sent it back to the factory(through Fed Ex. in those days,no ffl ) and they sent me back a replacement which started spitting lead after 100 rounds.

But I will say this,it always fired,it was accurate,it had a GREAT balance to it and it was a very cheap gun to buy.

The fact that it showered me with lead everytime I fired it could be forgiven if it had ever been used by me to save my own life.