The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 3, 2009, 11:05 PM   #1
publius

Star Modelo super 9x23

Are these guns 1911 clones or do they just bear a physical appearance? can a 9x19 barrel be had for them? Is $200 in good condition a good buy? Looks like a pretty hot round, I assume ammo is a bit hard to find/expensive.
Old March 3, 2009, 11:56 PM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Just make sure you don't run any 9x23 Winchester in it.
Old March 4, 2009, 12:18 AM   #3
James K
Staff

It is a copy of the M1911 with some differences. I don't think any parts will interchange. The original intended chambering was 9mm Largo, and since ammunition and cases are now available for that round, it is what should be used. Most will fire .38 ACP (which is not factory loaded any more, but .38 Super cases can be loaded down). Use of .38 Super or any of the high power 9mms is definitely not recommended. The guns will not "blow up", but they are rather soft and it wouldn't take long for a few .38 Super rounds to do the gun in by battering the locking lugs and the frame.

I have not seen any 9x19 barrels.

Jim
Old March 4, 2009, 01:28 AM   #4
publius

I won't even think about shooting 9x23win. through one. Do you think $150 for one in good condition is a good deal?
Old March 5, 2009, 11:30 AM   #5
chucksolo69

I have a Star Model B in 9MM that I bought from Turner's Outdoorsman a year ago for $199.00. The gun is in great condition for being made in 1943 and is a remarkabley accurate shooter (1.5" groups @ 25 yards). It is indeed a 1911 clone and breaks down almost exactly the same. The differences are, no grip safety, the safety only blocks the hammer, and there is no long pin between the slide stop and safety catch. The sights are actually better than my SA GI .45 1911. I'm pretty sure that the gun will be safe if you shoot mild loads in it. BTW - Mine was commissioned by the German Wermacht in 1943 but the Spanish border was closed and the shipment of these guns to the Germans was stopped. The Germans needed them to augment the shortage of P38 pistols that was going on at the time. Anyway, all the proof marks are there. I find it interesting that such a pistol would find its way into my hands. IMHO, it is an excellent buy.