The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Wleoff

Dumb: Case Jammed in Sizing Die

Boy, I just pulled a dumb one. I was preparing to load some .223 cartridges and had the dies set up. I measured the chamber on a Savage 12 rifle with a Hornady OAL gauge and decided to make up some dummy rounds, with the bullet loaded long, off the lands, to make sure they would chamber. In a hurry, I stuck a new piece of brass in the sizing die and on the up stroke, I remembered that I forgot to lube the case. That was about the time that the head came off the case. Boy that case is stuck and it's not coming out easy.

I've been reloading actively for about fifteen years and that's the first time that I've ever stuck a case in a die. I've hear of people jamming dies, but this was the first for me. Without lube, that brass case really takes a bite. I turned the die upside down and put some Kroil oil around the case. I'll let it soak overnight and try getting it out tomorrow. It's a RCBS competition full sizing die, too. Sure wish that it had been one of my Lee dies instead.

Boy, I believe in lube now.
Old March 4, 2009, 08:56 PM   #2
dmickey

Now you know the reason for a stuck case remover!
Old March 4, 2009, 09:25 PM   #3
HiBC

Roll back a few pages,this has been discussed at length a week ago or so.

Breaking things is unnecessary! Good luck.
Old March 4, 2009, 09:39 PM   #4
hodaka

RCBS is a great company. If you have the time, send the die to them. They will take care of it. If not, you may try a combination of heat and cold to separate the two different metals. Good luck.
Old March 4, 2009, 10:14 PM   #5
flyboy14

Everybody has done it, or will do it. I remember the panic when I did. Brand new 25-06 die, brand new rifle begging to be fed some handloads. Stuck the fifth case. @!#$#%^$#. Frantically ran into town and picked up stuck case removal kit. Unstuck case, then realized I had everything I needed in my toolbox in garage to do the job. Then also realized I didn't really mind, it was only 7 bucks. It's kind of like slipping on the ice and landing on your a@$ in the middle of the parking lot, it doesn't hurt near as bad when you realize nobody saw it! Good Luck flyboy
Old March 4, 2009, 11:33 PM   #6
Inspector3711

Sometimes an hour or two in the freezer will unstick it.