The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 1, 2009, 01:17 PM   #51
FyredUp

Preparedness is a personal thing. Some feel prepared with a gun or two and a couple of loaded magazines and 6 cans of soup. Some feel prepared with
100,000 rounds and a gun for every imaginable scenario with sealed canned goods to last for 5 years. Most are like me and somewhere in between. It's all about comfort level more than anything.

I believe my signature line says it all. Also, I would like to dispell the feeling that being prepared makes you some sort of survivalist wacko. Preparation can be for all sorts of things, natural disasters, personal economic downturns(with my food supply on hand, other than a few perishables, I would not have to grocery shop for about 2 months, freeing my limited cash if I lost my job), AND if for some reason the SHTF. To me the last is the least of my reasons for preparedness, but still one I must at least minimally consider.

No ones method of preparing is really any more right or wrong han anyone elses. Unless you fail to prepare at all.
Old February 1, 2009, 01:30 PM   #52
David Armstrong

Quote:
Also, I would like to dispell the feeling that being prepared makes you some sort of survivalist wacko. Preparation can be for all sorts of things, natural disasters, personal economic downturns(with my food supply on hand, other than a few perishables, I would not have to grocery shop for about 2 months, freeing my limited cash if I lost my job), AND if for some reason the SHTF.
Good point, and why I said way back that we made no changes and didn't need to make any changes. IF one is properly prepared, you don't really need to change much as the situation changes. A tanking economy really doesn't change your safety and security needs much, if any.
Old February 1, 2009, 02:25 PM   #53
thawntex

Quote:
Creature and Thawntex
Although I have enjoyed keeping up with your mutual "hissy fits", they do not, in any way answer the simple question I asked. So, for your edification, I will repeat: What, if any changes have you made?
If you have not made any, simply say so. If you have, say so. Any other response is off topic, and simply a waste of all our time.
My opinion only. Others may differ.
Mr. Doodle,

Please refer to the first sentence of my first post (#25). I'd be happy to repeat it.

"We have not made any major changes in our home defense strategy."

Thank you for your time.

-T
Old February 2, 2009, 10:15 PM   #54
pax

Moderator Note

thawntex ~

Since you are -- as you said -- done posting any on-topic contributions to the thread, you're done posting in this thread at all.

thanks,

pax
Old February 4, 2009, 09:09 PM   #55
Rourke

This thread started off well - something to really think about. I firmly believe the economy will continue to spiral downward - no matter what the government does - for at least the rest of 2009.

I definitely need to put more thought into changes needed on my property. Extra locks, motion lights, possibly inexpensive video surveillance in a few places. Desperate times will effect desperate people.

Take care all -

Rourke
Old February 4, 2009, 09:43 PM   #56
73flyby

Since the subject is Economy In the Tank, as it pertains to firearms, I hope I would not be off base to suggest that a possible solution to jumpstarting the economy might be to offer a (big) tax break for buying American firearms. That's one thing Americans do well and the industry has not entirely gone overseas. Fat chance of it happening, but it would work as well as any of the other solutions I've heard. Any I don' think it would start any international trade wars in itself.
Old February 12, 2009, 04:28 PM   #57
NickySantoro

In the face of our fallen economy....

I run a small home decorating business. I've never been busier this time of year, which is usually a bit slow. My customers all seem to have plenty of money to spend. My competitors, at least the ones who do quality work, are all busy too. Fallen economy? If you and the MSM say so it must be so. Me? I'm back to working weekends to keep up.
Old February 12, 2009, 04:43 PM   #58
ZeSpectre

I've got the best security system available!
Older, retired, bored, neighbors on three sides of my property

On the fourth side, the cart path for a popular golf course with a steady stream of "witnesses".

It's hell on privacy but NOBODY gets on my property without scrutiny and Grandma Carpenter has 911 on speed-dial

Oh and we did replace a couple of windows with harder to break lexan/plastic ones.