The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 3, 2009, 01:20 PM   #1
pichon

CCW not on my person...

I am lucky to attend one of the very few Universities in the US which allows concealed carry on campus. I have been "packin" for just under a year now to school and everywhere else I can. However this semester I decided to do something a little different. I want to step up my physical game to help in my self defense efforts. To accomplish this I decided to take a swim class as I feel most comfortable with this type of exercise. I obviously cant carry while I'm swimming, (my jammers don't conceal very much and definitely not a .45, and the chlorine is brutal on my gun ) but I do have a couple of questions.

First I would like to know if it is legal in Utah to lock up the gun in a locker while I swim.

My second question is an opinion question. If it is legal, is it something I should do or should I just leave it at home? I do go home right after I swim.
Old February 3, 2009, 01:23 PM   #2
goodspeed(TPF)

Ask the Dean, and or your local PD.

I vote for leave it at home.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 3, 2009, 01:41 PM   #3
vranasaurus

Whether putting it in a locker is legal or not you want to make sure that you secure the your pistol. IMO, a locker at a swimming pool is not a secure location and neither is a locked car unless you have some kind of secured storage inside.
Old February 3, 2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichon
First I would like to know if it is legal in Utah to lock up the gun in a locker while I swim.
It is not illegal to secure a firearm in a gym locker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichon
If it is legal, is it something I should do or should I just leave it at home?
It depends on whether you believe the locker is a secure method to store the firearm. Depending on the level of traffic through the locker room, it may well be more secure than storing a firearm in the glovebox of a vehicle, which many people seem quite comfortable with doing. If you'd be comfortable with putting your wallet with $1,000 in the locker, you should be comfortable with putting your CCW in there while swimming.

You might want to visit a gunstore and pick up a copy of Utah Gun Law by Attorney Mitch Villos, 3rd Edition, for about $20. It's a pretty comprehensive look at the Utah laws with "plain English" interpretation.
Old February 3, 2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Wuchak

I'd put it in a Secure-it in the car or in the locker. For $30 it's good prevention.

http://www.amazon.com/BRAND-NOT-SPEC.../dp/B000HBB15U

I'd also look at getting a portable motion alarm with retractable cable. They sell them for laptops and they run about $50. I have a couple and they are handy. When activated if someone moves whatever they are attached to they go off and keep going until the correct combination is entered and the unit is unlocked. Even if someone broke into the locker if one of these are attached to the Secure-it they aren't carrying the gun off quietly.

The real question is can you get it from your carry location to the Secure-it and into the locker and the reverse without people knowing you have it?
Old February 3, 2009, 03:37 PM   #6
pichon

The locker Room has very low traffic. I could easily remove it from my body without anyone seeing, but I would probably have brought it in my gym bag to begin with. I secure it with my own lock. The question of how secure do I think the locker room is, I dont know. I am swimming and anything could happen and without the alarm product mentioned above, no one would know anything was wrong. If I needed it isn't very accessible tactically speaking so I guess it may not be very practical to take it. I will probably leave it home as suggested by goodspeed. As far as the car is concerned I NEVER leave my gun in the car. I have had 3 separate attempted car thefts. I have come out to my car to go somewhere and the door was open and ignition torn apart. If I know I am going somewhere secure I leave it at home. I would rather run the risk of not having it than having my car stolen and my gun used in a crime. At all other times it is tucked away safely on my body.

Thanks for all of your feedback, I probably will get that Utah Gun Law book and take a look at it.
Old February 3, 2009, 05:46 PM   #7
blume357

I vote for lock it in the locker...

Heck if you want to be paranoid then buy one of those handgun safes listed above.... bring it along with a cordless drill and a couple self drilling screws and secure the thing to the bottom of the locker.
Old February 3, 2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

I'd leave it at home or in your car. No reason to tempt any one and while the locker room maybe low traffic, sooner or later, someone will see it.
Old February 3, 2009, 10:05 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

one potential drawback to the alarm

If someone slams a locker door and jars the alarm, setting it off, everyone in the area will know you have "something" in your locker, and if it don't look like a laptop, somebody will talk. Just be prepared for this situation, if you go that route.

While is is a comfort to one's mind to always have the means of defense available, take a close look at your situation, and weigh the odds of being away from your weapon for a given period of time (leaving it at home) against the inconvienence (and possible problems) of having it become common knowledge you carry a gun.

You have a permit, and permission from school, so you are on pretty solid legal ground, but you are not on as solid social ground. Guns in the hands of people they don't know or trust scare a lot of so called adults, and some of them can become petty, mean, and spiteful once they get over being scared.

Your call, but I would leave it home for swimming practice.
Or well secured in your car, in a "safe" area.
Old February 4, 2009, 12:20 AM   #10
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
You have a permit, and permission from school,
A slight clarification: It is not within the University's authority to either give or withold permission. The Utah Legislature has given them no choice in the matter.
Old February 4, 2009, 01:39 PM   #11
armedandsafe

See if you can check it in with the campus security office. That way, you will have it with you whenever you aren't actually swimming.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old February 4, 2009, 01:41 PM   #12
#18indycolts

just throwin this out there: isn't a locker considered school property? Are there any ramifications to that?
Old February 4, 2009, 11:36 PM   #13
pichon

Quote:
just throwin this out there: isn't a locker considered school property? Are there any ramifications to that?
Yes, but as I said before, my school is not allowed to ban guns on campus. Actually my school protested having guns on campus and took it to the Utah Supreme Court. The supreme court ruled in favor of the Constitution and not in favor of liberal academia. I major in political science, one of the most liberal departments at my university, so it is a battle every day .

Here is another question; I also take a pistol marksmanship class (yes I know, real tough schedule this semester.) It is held in the Naval Sciences Building which is essentially the NROTC. Is that a federal building where I cant carry or is it part of the university so I can.

I just want to know what you think as I don't really need to carry to this class, there are 25 students armed with air pistols and 22's and Navy personnel hanging around with worse. Nothing is likely to go down.
Old February 5, 2009, 10:06 PM   #14
blume357

I would assume the building is part of the school and you are

okay there.... seems kind of hard not to carry a gun in for the pistol shooting class.
Old February 5, 2009, 10:42 PM   #15
pichon

Quote:
okay there.... seems kind of hard not to carry a gun in for the pistol shooting class.
Yes, but concealed? Do different rules apply? I dont know, just throwin it out there. It is probably safe to assume that it is in fact part of the University.

Last edited by pichon; February 5, 2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old February 5, 2009, 10:44 PM   #16
IZinterrogator

One of the students at the academy I work at just had their wallet stolen and their credit cards maxed out while they were working out at the gym and left their wallet in a locked locker. When the MPs came to take the report, they said locker break-ins happen frequently. Leave it locked out of sight in the car.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams