The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 30, 2009, 10:26 AM   #1
RemOil

Getting a Permit in NY State (Questions)

Thanks

Last edited by RemOil; January 30, 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old January 30, 2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Huey Long

I was told by my lawyer way back then that I have no felony conviction.

IMO, that pretty much settles it. If your lawyer told you that, you should be good to go.
Old January 30, 2009, 01:17 PM   #3
ThorntonMelon

You've got nothing to lose by trying. However, you should know that part of your background check will involve the NYS Dept. of Mental Hygeine. In all likelihood they will have records of any court ordered psych visits and drug counseling. Depending on what county you live in, you may be asked on the application if you have ever taken anti-depressant medication. That's the latest tactic by the gun-grabbers...to prohibit as many people as possible from getting permits. NYS has been tracking prescription information for several years now (since 2005 or 2006...I'm not sure exactly when it started). Every physician in NY has state issued presription pads with a bar code at the bottom...so somewhere up in Albany there's a database of anything you've been prescribed, the dose, and the doc who gave it to you. Exactly who has access to this info isn't clear...your guess is as good as mine, but I'd bet money that pistol licensing officers are probably on that list.

Good luck.
Old January 30, 2009, 01:26 PM   #4
RemOil

This was out of state, not in NY. There are no records other than the piece of paper I have stating the disposition of the case. All the records were destroyed according to the people I spoke with out of state. This was over 20 years ago and all the files were paper back then.

I saw a shrink 21 years ago one time for about 10 minutes , on orders of the court in the other state. Nothing ever came of it. No meds. Nothing. Heck, I was a 22 year old kid. Stupid and a little wild but that's about it. Never been in trouble since. Not even traffic tickets.

Last edited by RemOil; January 30, 2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old January 30, 2009, 01:30 PM   #5
ThorntonMelon

Quote:
This was out of state, not in NY. There are no records other than the piece of paper I have stating the disposition of the case. All the records were destroyed according to the people I spoke with out of state. This was over 20 years ago and all the files were paper back then.

I saw a shrink , on orders of the court in the other state, one time for about 10 minutes. Nothing ever came of it. No meds. Nothing. Heck, I was a 21 year old kid. Stupid and a little wild but that's about it. Never been in trouble since.
Oh, OK...probably not that big a deal then. On a side note, what on earth made you come here? I been here my whole life, so at least I have some reason to reside in this sorry excuse for a state...lol.

Good luck with the permit.
Old January 30, 2009, 01:37 PM   #6
RemOil

Thanks.

Last edited by RemOil; January 30, 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old February 4, 2009, 05:34 PM   #7
EricReynolds

I'm missing the original post. I live in New York and have a permit. Would be happy to help answer questions. Something about mental hygiene?