The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 14, 2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Tomco

WASR-10 issue need some help!

Hi there just let me say thanks to anyone who can help me with this issue. I am having a little trouble with I believe is a bayonet lug on my Romanian WASR-10. I would like to take it off and install a TAPCO AK-74 Muzzle brake. However I cannot because it appears its been welded. I read somewhere that it has to do with AWB and nonsense about "flash hiders" and "suppressors." I basically need to know if i could take it to a gunsmith or and have the weld removed so i can install my new muzzle brake. Some said it was a just a tact weld but I am just looking for some more insight.
Old January 14, 2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The front sight assembly has the bayonet lug made as part of it.
In front of the sight assembly is a cap that covers the muzzle.
It's the cap you need to remove.
Once the cap is off, you may or MAY NOT find threads.
Some rifles have threads, some have un-threaded barrels, and some have the threads ground off.

Usually, the caps are welded on with a short bead on the bottom side of the cap.
You can usually cut through that bead and unscrew the cap if the barrel is threaded.

Note that these rifles have LEFT-HAND threads.
If it's equipped with it, there may also be a spring-loaded pin sticking out the front of the sight support, on top.
This is used to prevent a muzzle device or cap from unscrewing.
If there's one there, you'll have to push and hold it in, in order to unscrew the cap once the weld is cut.